What's new

EIS - how to get started? And how to modernise.

I'm considering checking out EIS after being interested in it for the last couple of years.

The website seems a bit dated, and there isn't a huge amount of info on there so I thought I would check here to see if there is a teacher around with any availability. Or should I mail Lilian via the link on the website?

Regarding the books, I know people have said they want to keep the course materials on physical print-on-paper media, but it's a bit off-putting to me since I've spent the last year or so trying to purge as much space-eating stuff as possible out of my house. And the books would no doubt be fairly hefty.
Digital copies of the EIS manuals would be far easier to reference, access and update.
Yes - they would also be easier to pirate and for people to access them without the tutorship of an EIS teacher, but I think the crossover in the venn diagram of 'malicious pirates' and 'composers wanting to learn an esoteric new composition method' would be so small that I think it's worth the risk. Almost all of the people who are genuinely interested in learning about EIS would want to do so the proper way - books and teacher - so I think there should be less worry about people just getting the books and misunderstanding something, and more focus on digitising the content to preserve and future-proof the course.

Thoughts?

I'm considering checking out EIS after being interested in it for the last couple of years.

The website seems a bit dated, and there isn't a huge amount of info on there so I thought I would check here to see if there is a teacher around with any availability. Or should I mail Lilian via the link on the website?

Regarding the books, I know people have said they want to keep the course materials on physical print-on-paper media, but it's a bit off-putting to me since I've spent the last year or so trying to purge as much space-eating stuff as possible out of my house. And the books would no doubt be fairly hefty.
Digital copies of the EIS manuals would be far easier to reference, access and update.
Yes - they would also be easier to pirate and for people to access them without the tutorship of an EIS teacher, but I think the crossover in the venn diagram of 'malicious pirates' and 'composers wanting to learn an esoteric new composition method' would be so small that I think it's worth the risk. Almost all of the people who are genuinely interested in learning about EIS would want to do so the proper way - books and teacher - so I think there should be less worry about people just getting the books and misunderstanding something, and more focus on digitising the content to preserve and future-proof the course.

Thoughts?

Best bet is to email Craig Sharmat, he is the moderator for this forum. He'll route you through the correct options.

Regarding digital copies, I don't know about that. I know that I have physical copies, and I prefer them. Often, I'll have 2-3 lessons open at the same time, from different books, just for reference.

Mike

I hadn't seen the new website before - thanks for pointing me there David. And thanks Farkle, I'll give Craig a shout. I don't doubt that many people will prefer physical copies over digital, but it would be great if both options were available.

I hadn't seen the new website before - thanks for pointing me there David. And thanks Farkle, I'll give Craig a shout. I don't doubt that many people will prefer physical copies over digital, but it would be great if both options were available.

Sure, absolutely! And, welcome to the EIS system, in advance! It's a lot of fun!

Either Craig or Lilith should be able to advice you.
When I read the thread title I thought you meant how to modernize the content of the course....I went WTF!

Last edited:
When I read the thread title I thought you meant how to modernize the content of the course

Definitely not that! From what little I know the teachings seem to be largely independent of style/era idiomatic writing and more about the nuts and bolts of approaching music in a 'horizontal' way.

Definitely not that! From what little I know the teachings seem to be largely independent of style/era idiomatic writing and more about the nuts and bolts of approaching music in a 'horizontal' way.

Or the nuts who decide to bolt music in a horizontal way...
hohohoo_O

That site is in beta stage being ported over from the old one, surprised someone found it. I presume there is an address there for Lilith so contact her. As far as the course being in PDF form there is some talk about doing that for the early stages of the course as the selling of books and shipping fees for non American students can be pricey. Not sure where that lands but it is in discussion.

Ok just checked and no address so

[email protected]

Books only take about 5 inches of shelf space so about 2 early Wagner full scores or 3 Rush complete volumes. The time to scan it all may be as much of an obstacle now as anything else. You could easily spend a year+ scanning...

That site is in beta stage being ported over from the old one, surprised someone found it. I presume there is an address there for Lilith so contact her. As far as the course being in PDF form there is some talk about doing that for the early stages of the course as the selling of books and shipping fees for non American students can be pricey. Not sure where that lands but it is in discussion.

[email protected]
The link's on their Facebook page

[email protected]
+1 on pdf's and heads up on your great work in the samples departement.
/Anders

Last edited:
Top Bottom