What's new

E-mail summary option?

MauroPantin

I engrave little black dots
Hi guys! Just thought I'd suggest this since it's been on my mind for a couple of weeks.

I follow a few threads here and there and some of them are pretty active and keep pinging my phone all day with new emails. I don't really want to unwatch those threads since they are useful, nor would I like to deactivate the notifications... or send VI-C emails to spam. None of these options are good IMO, but neither is getting so many emails all day.

Thinking about this, the ideal solution would be to defer that entire thing to a single time of the day rather than 60 emails along the day. Would it be possible to get a "summary" email at the end of the day (or at some point) of the activity of the forum for my watched threads and followed users?

TIA!

Best,
Mauro

I am part of a community that does just that, and it works for some folks, but not everyone. One of the problems is that you can miss replies that are material to the conversation, or at least miss them for the day.

The only reason it works is because the same summary email is sent to everyone - the traffic is low enough that we can get away with it.

Here it would require code that collects messages for each member who wanted the summary, and I think that sounds a bit cumbersome. Doesn't mean we won't at least look at it!

Hi guys! Just thought I'd suggest this since it's been on my mind for a couple of weeks.

I follow a few threads here and there and some of them are pretty active and keep pinging my phone all day with new emails. I don't really want to unwatch those threads since they are useful, nor would I like to deactivate the notifications... or send VI-C emails to spam. None of these options are good IMO, but neither is getting so many emails all day.

Thinking about this, the ideal solution would be to defer that entire thing to a single time of the day rather than 60 emails along the day. Would it be possible to get a "summary" email at the end of the day (or at some point) of the activity of the forum for my watched threads and followed users?

TIA!

Best,
Mauro

Hi Mauro,

Something to bear in mind, is this message in the footer of the email notifications you receive.

You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

So, if you don't visit the thread to read the messages (they should be showing in your email anyway) then you should not receive any more alerts for those threads. So maybe set a certain time in the day to open your emails from VIC and visit those threads?

Try this and let me know if it behaves the way I'm describing?

Hope this helps,

Andre

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately that is not the behavior I was experiencing. Maybe I was doing something wrong? I could swear I was getting an email per message on a thread.

Anyway, I've disabled the emails for the time being, so that I can just visit at the end of the day and catch up using the forum's notifications. I think that is much more efficient for me. But if it's useful for you I'll give it a shot for a couple of days and let you know :)

Thanks!

Top Bottom