What's new

Dune 3 is a surprising contender for score and film

Databroth

I've been playing with a LOT of synths, and just up front I have zero experience with score and film
I'm just going off of my ears and memory

we all know synths like falcon and zebra are more than capable of doing sound design for professional production and cinematic quality sounds
but often times wavetable and "dance" synths just don't quite cut it for that level of quality
either they lack the nuance, or detail required for producing high end emotional dimension

I'd personally argue any synth with the right hands and tools could be placed into film tastefully, but this is more of a claim based on ease of use and variety of sounds, so I'm not trying to dismiss any products. but clearly most of these tools are built around music production and not score

I had a blast streaming Dune today, and the sounds I was getting out of it, especially at the end felt as though they could sit alongside an orchestra
I don't know how this community feels about most synths, but if you've passed up on Dune because you assumed it was a synth for electronic music, give it another look

also this isn't an ad, they aren't paying me, they did give me a free copy, but I have pretty much everything at this point.

here's the latest stream, there is occasional clipping, but this is solved by bringing the output volume down, and channel volume up (something I don't quite have access to live)

particularly the pad I make after the one hour mark really made me smile

Your description of Dune3 as lush nails it.
I plan to play your video through (after tonite's NLCS ballgame of course) but have listened to the final 20 minutes = love its sounds.
I agree that some composer could/should take this synth and along with some Beethoven-7th-Symphony-3rd-mvt-level ideas churn out their soundtrack.symphony.whatever.
Thanks for posting!
Cheers, Bill

Last edited:
I've been playing with a LOT of synths, and just up front I have zero experience with score and film
I'm just going off of my ears and memory *********************

I had a blast streaming Dune today, and the sounds I was getting out of it, especially at the end felt as though they could sit alongside an orchestra
I don't know how this community feels about most synths, but if you've passed up on Dune because you assumed it was a synth for electronic music, give it another look ***********************
Cool stream and interest raised notably. Sooooo much quality /intriguing stuff coming out now ..... serious hopes for BlkFri - Dune 3 deal. No worries of value, just some limits come into play . 😨

totally understandable, these tools aren't cheap, and I'm in a very lucky position to be able to get my hands on all of them. I felt Dune was particularly worth pointing out here though

It's on my synth shortlist, but I just bought Falcon, lots to learn. Unless there's a big BF sales, I'll wait next year for Dune 3.

I only used the demo but from my short time with it I really liked it, will absolutely be picking it up as soon as possible along with Hive 2

I don't know, there's a ton of overlap here.

If you own Dune you can replicate pretty much anything from Hive and Spire. And a lot more: samples, 8 layers, midi arps, etc.
Yes, that's true. But having all three offers more patches, also each has it's own features that make it a bit special. But surely DUNE 3 alone is good enough for general synth scores.

DUNE 3 , HIVE 2, and SPIRE are all great to have.
Kudos to u-he for likely best trial /demo process ever. Got Dune 3 Demo, huge distractions with SFA, Element, et al ..... went back and Demo expired.
u-he Hive2, Zebra 2 demos always right there to revisit. Appreciate, respect this and maintain some loyalty as a result. 😇

I don't know, there's a ton of overlap here.

If you own Dune you can replicate pretty much anything from Hive and Spire. And a lot more: samples, 8 layers, midi arps, etc.
I somewhat disagree, idk about hive, being it's a wavetable synth I'd say I have enough that covers that one. But spire and dune are pretty different, spire has a lot more attitude that dune isn't missing. but takes a fair bit longer to program up. Dune is SUPER clean, where as spire gets dirty fast

I actually REALLY like spire, it might be a regular for me in my writing process, as I can throw together a mockup of the type of sound I want fast.

that's not to say they can't sound similar at all, just that I found spire got me stuff I wanted to use in industrial work much faster than dune

then again, we don't need every synth out there, and learning one inside and out beats itching the surface of dozens

Dune is SUPER clean, where as spire gets dirty fast

I admit I only demoed Spire briefly a while ago, but in Dune once you start adding filter drive and whatnot things get dirty pretty fast.

that's not to say they can't sound similar at all, just that I found spire got me stuff I wanted to use in industrial work much faster than dune
Exactly, can't argue about workflow since all three have different UI/UX, but sonically Dune can produce pretty much anything Hive and Spire can.

In case you missed it from the other Dune thread, here's a comparison I did between the ZebraHZ Diva filters, Repro filters, and Dune filters.

The idea was not to make exact replicas of the same sound, but to test if Dune could stand up against probably the best analog emulations in the market.

More details here:

I admit I only demoed Spire briefly a while ago, but in Dune once you start adding filter drive and whatnot things get dirty pretty fast.

Exactly, can't argue about workflow since all three have different UI/UX, but sonically Dune can produce pretty much anything Hive and Spire can.
I played around with Dune's drive settings/ FM etc
it just has a totally different character of "dirty"

Spire just has an attitude, and mid range tone that none of dune's drives quite replicated
the Hard FM in spire is where that synth is at for me, I love them both, but for particularly clangy tones, spire did what I wanted faster

but "dirty" and "character" are so subjective from person to person
one of us might hear the crackle of a drive and think it is pleasant dirt
while another might hear how some other distortion brings out the low end and texturally sucks away the highs
another distortion might boost the mids and add white noisy character

and each of us will find these tones pleasing or displeasing to different degrees

Top Bottom