What's new

Dragon War - Epic Battle Music

Hey sounds nice! There are a few nice musical ideas.

Here's what I personally would do differently, just my taste:

Violin - portamento transitions between notes, yeah the samples have vibrato, but transitions give this ,,flat" impression
Percussion fills - more reverb, more space, maybe even a delay echo which would really make it epic
Choir - more delayed reverb or delay (diluted with reverb) to really give it size, and push back into the mix to make it sound more distant
Orchestration - the strings are silently doubling horns octaves above, which just gives horns some unnecessary sharpness
Harmony and voicings - less fifths, they do sound repetitive at some point
Melody - I would add more drama and more elaborated melody in the middle. It doesn't feel like an epic story was told, however it would fit perfectly in a movie, like: scared and tired army marching into a demise in a dystopian landscape, like LotR

Cheers!

I liked it and I think that Ivan's suggestions above are good.

This is more my kind of epic, rather than that "usual" modern stuff. There is a gothic and majestic feel in the theme(s), which I like a lot, but it leaves me with a thought that the piece needs some more work and development. To me the piece as a whole doesn't exactly feel like battle music, more like going to or returning from a battle.

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
I agree with the suggestions above, and I'll add that this piece has a strong story-telling like quality.
Picturing an old man reminiscing on the won and lost battles of his past..

A little suggestion from my side: I would let the end shimmer, rather than cutting it off with a big bang :)

Thank you everyone for your comments. Good to know both the likes and critique - they are all equally important (actually I'd say critique has its own usefulness).

Thank you for the feedback.

Top Bottom