What's new

Dorico: Expression Maps Library

I personally plan to be creating expression maps for the following libraries in upcoming weeks:

Eduardo Tarilonte Dark Era
Eduardo Tarilonte Celtic Era
Oceania 2
Strezov Choir Essentials
Dominus
Sample modeling Strings
Infinite Woodwinds
Infinite Brass
8dio Adagio
Adachi
Several 8dio epic percussions
Audioimperia Solo
Spitfire Solstice

Would it make sense to set up something in github to share the expression maps?
Great idea. I use Reaticulate myself and its GitHub is very useful.

As soon as we start gathering some stuff I can upload it to Github, I'm not sure about the kind of file the expression maps create, though.

Ivan, I look forward to eventually contributing to the collection. Thank you for starting this thread.
Awesome, I think it might become very useful for new users as they jump into Dorico. The expression maps are the heart of it as @ed buller has demonstrated.

I'm currently waiting for my Pro license to arrive so I can start working on my libraries.

I personally plan to be creating expression maps for the following libraries in upcoming weeks:

Eduardo Tarilonte Dark Era
Eduardo Tarilonte Celtic Era
Oceania 2
Strezov Choir Essentials
Dominus
Sample modeling Strings
Infinite Woodwinds
Infinite Brass
8dio Adagio
Adachi
Several 8dio epic percussions
Audioimperia Solo
Spitfire Solstice
I've tried out Infinite Woodwinds (not yet Brass) in Dorico and not sure how much you can get out of Expression Maps without extensive CC drawing / live recording.

Curious to see if you get better results than me (or if you were, indeed, planning to do a lot of drawing / recording).

Thanks for starting this!

I've tried out Infinite Woodwinds (not yet Brass) in Dorico and not sure how much you can get out of Expression Maps without extensive CC drawing / live recording.

Curious to see if you get better results than me (or if you were, indeed, planning to do a lot of drawing / recording).

Thanks for starting this!
You confirm my thoughts then, that they sound dead without proper cc input. Although maybe @ed buller can offer some insight into this.

I'm fine with live recording as usual, though. Just need to see if I can make my leap motion work. I just want to visualize my composition in notation.

Great idea. I use Reaticulate myself and its GitHub is very useful.

As soon as we start gathering some stuff I can upload it to Github, I'm not sure about the kind of file the expression maps create, though.
They are XML text files, gitub handles them with no issues

Let me add something here Expression Maps are only half the solution in setting up an external sample lib in Dorico. The next step is using the Expression Maps to create a Playback Template this in turn will allow Dorico when you make an instrument selection load the correct player and instrument.

My point is expression maps will only take you half way to the goal of integrating a 3rd party instrument library.

Let me add something here Expression Maps are only half the solution in setting up an external sample lib in Dorico. The next step is using the Expression Maps to create a Playback Template this in turn will allow Dorico when you make an instrument selection load the correct player and instrument.

My point is expression maps will only take you half way to the goal of integrating a 3rd party instrument library.

Isn't it the most time consuming, though?

I was under that impression but my experience is very limited

Yes your correct it does add more time but that's what makes everything complete the expression maps only help in assigning articulations. Endpoints need to be saved in some cases Playing Techniques need to be created. The remaining part is just creating empty Staffs doing the assignments and saving Endpoints.

Don't forget in many cases you can import Cubase Expression Maps to speed up the process

Yes your correct it does add more time but that's what makes everything complete the expression maps only help in assigning articulations. Endpoints need to be saved in some cases Playing Techniques need to be created. The remaining part is just creating empty Staffs doing the assignments and saving Endpoints.

Don't forget in many cases you can import Cubase Expression Maps to speed up the process

Good points. Thanks for the feedback. Playback templates and custom playing techniques can be shared, right?

I wonder about the endpoints.

Ivan you may be interested in my interested in my AI Solo implementation that can be saved as a Playback Template. Its using standard Keyswitching I have not setup any of my libs to use Ed's method at this time.

I've completed all of the major Audio Imperia libs Jaeger is missing the percussion as well as EastWest Hollywood Opus and some of Cinesamples

I like the option of reselecting Libs by loading Playback templates in Dorico when I'm working to here how something else will sound

Last edited:
Ivan you may be interested in my interested in my AI Solo implementation that can be saved as a Playback Template. Its using standard Keyswitching I have not setup any of my libs to use Ed's method at this time.

I've completed all of the major Audio Imperia libs Jaeger is missing the percussion as well as EastWest Hollywood Opus and some of Cinesamples

I like the option of reselecting Libs by loading Playback templates in Dorico when I'm working to here how something else will sound

Thanks a lot! Gonna test it tomorrow when I'm back at the studio.

Here's a step by step of how I create Playback Templates

1 - Set Dorico Playback template to Silence
2 - Create a Blank Dorico project
3 - Add, Import, or Create Expression Maps
4 - Go into Dorico Setup and create the necessary Instruments
(the tricky part is to decide if they need to be Single player, Multiplayer, or Both)
5 - Select the Play VST Rack mode in Dorico and load the Player for each Instrument
6 - Now in Play mode Endpoint setup (that's the little Gear icon)assign a name and select the previously created Expression Map
7 - Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all instruments are setup
8 - Save your Endpoints from VST Rack bottom of the Instrument list
9 - Now you can create a new Playback Template using the previously created Endpoints
10 - Testing lots of testing I usually find I'm missing Staffs for Single or Multi instruments

There are other steps like in creating Percussion instruments (many require Drum Maps not Expression) or creating new Play Techniques

Hello @ennbr,
Would you like to share your Hollywood Opus expression maps for Dorico please?
Thanks!
Best regards,
Gil.

I just installed it, thanks for sharing this. Very helpful.

I see that probably the best way to share these is to share the playback template, right? It even took care of the routing and assigned the proper endpoint, loaded the VSTs from Kontakt on my side without any issues.

What do you think about assigning staccato or staccatissimo to the spiccato articulation as well? So all of those short articulations load those samples.

I'm still waiting for the Pro license to arrive on my end so I'm currently testing stuff on the SE version. As soon as I get it I'll move my projects to Dorico and work on all those expression maps I mentioned before.

Top Bottom