What's new

Does anyone here make video games?

Just be aware that there is some very crappy stuff on the Asset Store when it comes to coding. They may be useful early on, but you wouldn't want to rely on 90% of those for a commercial project. It's like the midi chord pack in a way.
Yeah I'm quite particular. For example, I own pretty much all of Procedural Worlds stuff and most of Opsive stuff.

Some of the other stuff is quite fun.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm quite particular. For example, I own pretty much of Procedural Worlds stuff and most of Opsive stuff.

Some of the other stuff is quite fun.
If you're into world building, check out Map Magic 2. I haven't released anything using it, but it's a lot of fun to play around with.

If you're into world building, check out Map Magic 2. I haven't released anything using it, but it's a lot of fun to play around with.
Will do man. I am currently learning Gaia Pro 2021 and really enjoying it. Especially when using Microsplat for all texture conversion.

For a beginner C# is easier to work with than C++. Under the hood Unity also converts your C# into C++ when you build your game for a platform, so not much difference once the game is running.

In very broad terms, C++ is a bit like the anything-goes wild west as it was built around the principle of trusting that the programmer knows what they are doing. The downside is it's very easy to dig very deep holes for yourself when you don't. Whereas C# has more guard rails to protect you from going off a cliff, at the cost of flexibility. Sometimes things take a bit more work to do, but the benefit is stability and predictability.

The C++ you use with Unreal also comes with some extra protection like automated memory management and stuff, but I haven't really worked with it enough to tell you more.
Interesting man. Thank you!

@mopsiflopsi I'm really starting to think I need to learn C#. Can you recommend to me how I should go about learning C#? Any courses that are great for beginners?
c# yellow book often gets recommended on the unity forum:
https://www.csharpcourse.com/

Can someone explain to me why Unity uses C# and Unreal uses C++? I don't understand the languages so therefore don't understands the pros and cons to using each. If I learned C# will it be easy/hard to learn C++?
I'm not a pro but I know solid programming basics and I'm usually comfortable enough with picking up whatever language I need to get something done that I want to get done, but C++ is one of the few I gave up on. So from my point of view C++ is "the confusing one". I've used plain C, Objective C, and C#, but C++ I tried to learn twice and always bounced off. By now I probably could grind through it if I had a really good goal that required it. But unless you have such a goal, imho it's entirely pointless to try and learn C++. And even if you had, it's probably still better to learn C# first because it's easier to wrap your head around.

Welcome to the rabbit hole of virtual landscape design, where you will lose many hours chasing that perfect blend of grass density and view distance.
I love it. I find environment design to be the most creative aspect so far. Literally create a world from nothing. It's very therapeutic and a nice change of pace from the constant sample library world.

I even bought a Procedural World asset that records flyby footage just so I can make videos of the camera going round my little creations. Might be a little addicted 😂

I love it. I find environment design to be the most creative aspect so far. Literally create a world from nothing. It's very therapeutic and a nice change of pace from the constant sample library world.

I even bought a Procedural World asset that records flyby footage just so I can make videos of the camera going round my little creations. Might be a little addicted 😂

What I'd give to feel like that again... I know exactly what you're talking about, enjoy!

Can someone explain to me why Unity uses C# and Unreal uses C++? I don't understand the languages so therefore don't understands the pros and cons to using each. If I learned C# will it be easy/hard to learn C++? I'm just curious what each language brings to the table because why wouldn't they use the same language?

Part of it could be the respective legacies of each engine.

The Unreal engine originated with the original Unreal, which was developed during the 90's before C# existed. Reportedly Tim Sweeney was heavily involved in both the original development and subsequent iterations of the Unreal engine. So I can see how that could have resulted in C++ being a mainstay in that engine's development.

In comparison, C# came out in 2000. And Unity first released in 2005.

Insofar as learning the respective languages, the syntax, programming logic and general concepts of OOP languages is similar. But C# tends to be easier from a memory management perspective. Mucking around with memory allocations and pointers is not something I miss from when I used C++.

Part of it could be the respective legacies of each engine.

The Unreal engine originated with the original Unreal, which was developed during the 90's before C# existed. Reportedly Tim Sweeney was heavily involved in both the original development and subsequent iterations of the Unreal engine. So I can see how that could have resulted in C++ being a mainstay in that engine's development.

In comparison, C# came out in 2000. And Unity first released in 2005.

Insofar as learning the respective languages, the syntax, programming logic and general concepts of OOP languages is similar. But C# tends to be easier from a memory management perspective. Mucking around with memory allocations and pointers is not something I miss from when I used C++.
Thank you!

Everyone gets hungry, even in JonoWORLD. Which is why no expense has been spared building our premium Diner for you and your loved ones to come and visit before setting off into Bearback Mountain. Come rain or shine!
😂

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 05.14.34.png

Its been a while... Currently making a first person perspective video game and thought I'd share a couple of work in progress videos. One of an interior area I'm making and one of an outside area. The game takes place in Bearback Mountain. A harrowing, yet beautiful place. Like the Isle of Wight (but more mountainous :emoji_joy:

Its been a while... Currently making a first person perspective video game and thought I'd share a couple of work in progress videos. One of an interior area I'm making and one of an outside area. The game takes place in Bearback Mountain. A harrowing, yet beautiful place. Like the Isle of Wight (but more mountainous :emoji_joy:

Brilliant work! Looking wonderful.

I just started learning how to use Unity and it's really exciting so far.

Brilliant work! Looking wonderful.

I just started learning how to use Unity and it's really exciting so far.
Thanks man.
Welcome to the journey. Its an absolute rabbit hole learning so much but its awesome. I love it.
I think back to first starting and how much I know now (which isn't a lot haha) compared to then and its a crazy learning curve!

You should team up with others, it’s way too big a project for one person :)

Looks great !

Thanks man.
Welcome to the journey. Its an absolute rabbit hole learning so much but its awesome. I love it.
I think back to first starting and how much I know now (which isn't a lot haha) compared to then and its a crazy learning curve!
Yeah it's a bit overwhelming at times - especially the math stuff.
How long have you been doing it for?

Top Bottom