What's new

Do yourself a favor, discover Anne-Kathrin Dern if you haven't already. Composer expenses and income 2024.

I've been wanting to have another a crack at the whole 'lets build a template' thing and develop my orchestration and programming... and lo and behold, AKD has a series of superb template vids! Golddust! Now I have a shiny new base template and I'm working through AKD's first LOTR vid, alt tabbing between reaper and youtube and learning SO MUCH.

The simplicity yet perfection of those twin CC and expression curves on the arpeggio phrase were a true lightbulb moment for me. There's a similar sound in one of the vista demos that has always eluded me - now I think I know how to achieve it.

Also the approach of setting up negative track delay* + write in the notes and just straight up quantise that sh1t OMFG - goes against everything I thought was true, but then I listen to the sound hahah - this is powerful stuff! But also the WHY of it - the simplicity of moving stuff around (and - whisper it - copying to other instruments! oh wow!) when you do it this way. The layering across libraries. The speed of working. DAMN! Yes - you still need ebb and flow, and rubato (like this) but that comes from the tempo mapping....

Anyways thank you AKD for sharing your knowledge and experience so freely!

* then I remembered the negative track delay spreadsheet (link) that David Kudell started

Nice movie and then at 3:50 Covid changed almost everything. Here's how they coped.

Last edited:
Dern's review of Afflatus was second to none. So much detail and insight and with a perspective open to how others might use it. Her advice on the business and on composing is also top notch. It's great to find someone who is a successful professional, a terrific composer, and a great communicator who takes so much time over her videos.

I don't know why she wants to put so effort into these videos, but I'm grateful to her for doing so.

I don't know why she wants to put so effort into these videos, but I'm grateful to her for doing so.
I'm guessing it's mostly marketing.

Maybe not so much about finding new clients per se, but making connections in the industry (eg: VSL). Also a video of yourself might be one of the best business cards ever.

I'm guessing it's mostly marketing.

Maybe not so much about finding new clients per se, but making connections in the industry (eg: VSL). Also a video of yourself might be one of the best business cards ever.
True, I suppose. I don't know how well it would pay off given the amount of effort involved. But in her line of work I expect you have to do what you can. I'd guess it's something she wants to do that she can also justify in terms of potential personal benefits.

True, I suppose. I don't know how well it would pay off given the amount of effort involved. But in her line of work I expect you have to do what you can. I'd guess it's something she wants to do that she can also justify in terms of potential personal benefits.
And just plain old "giving back"

yes, yes.......now I truly see the remarkable resemblance to your avatar - it's the same pose except your claws are in the picture also
That's right. I actually altered the photograph I use for my avatar to look more like me.

Top Bottom