What's new

Do yourself a favor, discover Anne-Kathrin Dern if you haven't already. Composer expenses and income 2024.

You know, she makes it seem so simple, but when I try to do the same thing, my output sounds like sh*t in comparison. Great video once again!

I'm so glad she touches on something that's been bugging me for awhile. She made a point of drawing in the automation, rather than performing it while playing.

I've heard so many others claim that one *must* mod-wheel in the automation while playing the part, in order to get a natural, realistic result. And this myth keeps getting repeated and reinforced over and over, as though it is received wisdom. But it obviously isn't true, as she demonstrates in the video. It's perfectly possible to get just as good a result by drawing in the automation afterward.

Either approach can work fine; it comes down to preference, and knowing what you want it to sound like. Personally, I (usually) find it much easier to play in the part, and then deal with the modulation automation separately. The important thing is understanding the phrasing of the music, and how you want the mod data to affect it---if you know that, it doesn't matter which technique you use.

At the risk of seeming like a LOTR pedant again, I do wonder what she's using as reference score here... some of the details are not quite as they are in the original! Not that it matters, as she does say this is about the demo process and not writing... those incidental parallel octaves in the high strings/basses sound more sensible though when the inner voices and orchestration are supporting them as originally written.

Uh-oh... here we go
michael_jackson_popcorn.jpg

That Daniel James sure is a hot piece of somethin', ain't he?
Not really helping because it's hardly the same. Every single day, some random dude(s) I don't know feels entitled to comment on my appearance - be it on my YouTube channel, on Facebook, on Instagram, in creepy private messages, out on the street, in the workplace... it's exhausting and it's never ever a compliment. Ever, guys. Just keep your thoughts to yourselves.

Not really helping because it's hardly the same. Every single day, some random dude(s) I don't know feels entitled to comment on my appearance - be it on my YouTube channel, on Facebook, on Instagram, in creepy private messages, out on the street, in the workplace... it's exhausting and it's never ever a compliment. Ever, guys. Just keep your thoughts to yourselves.
I won't try to relate. Just thinking how absurd it is.

Slightly off topic from the LotR videos: every time I see the Bezier curves in Cubase 11 in these videos, my browser magically spawns a new Chrome tab for the Cubase 11 upgrade page. And then my mouse hovers over the "Upgrade" button. It's really weird.

I wonder if purchasing it will get it to stop.

Slightly off topic from the LotR videos: every time I see the Bezier curves in Cubase 11 in these videos, my browser magically spawns a new Chrome tab for the Cubase 11 upgrade page. And then my mouse hovers over the "Upgrade" button. It's really weird.

I wonder if purchasing it will get it to stop.
Honestly, the Cubase 11 upgrade has been my best purchase so far this year. These curves and the export functions - just perfection, and speeding up my workflow significantly. Totally worth it!

Great video once again!
I agree. @A.Dern, your videos are outstanding.

The template series was super informative. I also really liked the 'move to LA?' video - very insightful. But the LOTR vids have been the most fun for me.

I originally checked out 'Anduril' just to hear if it was a good mockup (it was). But I wasn't expecting the masterclass on how you built that track... in only 2 hours!

For me, workflow has been a challenge. I've wanted to write faster, but I didn't know how. After watching the videos, I decided to rebuild my template with negative delays and multiple libraries for layering. I'm still working on it, but looking forward to the day when I can focus more on writing and orchestration than endless MIDI-tweak-and-nudge hell. :eek:

Super-inspired by these videos! :emoji_thumbsup:

I agree. @A.Dern, your videos are outstanding.

The template series was super informative. I also really liked the 'move to LA?' video - very insightful. But the LOTR vids have been the most fun for me.

I originally checked out 'Anduril' just to hear if it was a good mockup (it was). But I wasn't expecting the masterclass on how you built that track... in only 2 hours!

For me, workflow has been a challenge. I've wanted to write faster, but I didn't know how. After watching the videos, I decided to rebuild my template with negative delays and multiple libraries for layering. I'm still working on it, but looking forward to the day when I can focus more on writing and orchestration than endless MIDI-tweak-and-nudge hell. :eek:

Super-inspired by these videos! :emoji_thumbsup:
I'm so glad the content I create is helpful! That's really the only purpose of the channel (though it has accidentally served a lot more than that). And my way of doing things is by no means the only way so take what you want and leave the rest. It's what I did as well - my workflow is a combination of the different workflows I've seen as part of composer teams. I took what I thought worked well and I skipped what I thought was less than ideal for myself. Different studios have very different reasons for doing what they do. If anything, I just want to de-mystify the process as much as I can.

Top Bottom