What's new

Distorted sound in Template setup (Cubase 11 Pro - VEP)

Martijn Jongman

Hello there!

I’m having the weirdest kind of issue.
I’m running a Cubase Pro 11 Template with the samples being hosted in VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) 7 (locally). The VEP instances are situated as ‘Rack instruments’. For every library I have a folder in Cubase with the instruments I have loaded up (So I have a folder for Spirfire woodwinds with in it 15 midi channels going to the VEP Rack-instance for the piccolo, flute, oboe etc… etc…)
All of the instruments in this folder are also confined in the same VEP instance (‘tab’, if you will).

The weird thing is (and thus my problem):
When I have no channel selected in Cubase, and I manually press (so with my mouse, since a midi keyboard won’t work; read below) a note on the KONTAKT keyboard in VEP it sounds perfectly fine. But when I select the channel for that instrument and click the same note in the same instrument it sounds massively distorted. This even occurs when I select a channel in the same folder (so in the same VEP instance). Say I select the ‘flute’ channel in Cubase and I press a note on the Piccolo instrument in VEP it will still sound distorted.

I have no clue where to look for answers and it’s not a problem I’ve heard of before.
Any help would be greatly appriciated!

P.S. I posted the same question on Steinberg's forum. But I figured I'd post it here too since I'm sure 100% sure it's confined to Cubase and the problem may very well lie in VEP.

Sounds like you have some talkback going on between your midi devices. Any latency issues, too?

Hello there!

I’m having the weirdest kind of issue.
I’m running a Cubase Pro 11 Template with the samples being hosted in VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) 7 (locally). The VEP instances are situated as ‘Rack instruments’. For every library I have a folder in Cubase with the instruments I have loaded up (So I have a folder for Spirfire woodwinds with in it 15 midi channels going to the VEP Rack-instance for the piccolo, flute, oboe etc… etc…)
All of the instruments in this folder are also confined in the same VEP instance (‘tab’, if you will).

The weird thing is (and thus my problem):
When I have no channel selected in Cubase, and I manually press (so with my mouse, since a midi keyboard won’t work; read below) a note on the KONTAKT keyboard in VEP it sounds perfectly fine. But when I select the channel for that instrument and click the same note in the same instrument it sounds massively distorted. This even occurs when I select a channel in the same folder (so in the same VEP instance). Say I select the ‘flute’ channel in Cubase and I press a note on the Piccolo instrument in VEP it will still sound distorted.

I have no clue where to look for answers and it’s not a problem I’ve heard of before.
Any help would be greatly appriciated!

P.S. I posted the same question on Steinberg's forum. But I figured I'd post it here too since I'm sure 100% sure it's confined to Cubase and the problem may very well lie in VEP.
Hi Martijn!
Please make sure you have disabled Asio Guard for all VEP plugins in Cubase' plugin Manager:

AG is great for many plugins, as it dynamically changes the buffer (and with it the latency) for each plugin. When selecting a track for live recording or monitoring, AG gets disabled for it so you can play it live without huge latencies.
However, this technology interferes with VEPs own buffering and multithreading optimizations, so it can cause different kind of issues.

Best, Ben

Top Bottom