What's new

Discuss conan, the barbarian (poledouris)

Wait, didn't Tangerine Dream do that soundtrack?
There's two soundtracks.

Edit from wikipedia:
"Goldsmith's score was featured in the original version of the film, but due to a disappointing test screening with the original orchestral score, director Ridley Scott decided to make changes to the film. Sidney Sheinberg, president of MCA (the parent company of Universal at the time), felt that the Goldsmith score would not appeal to the youth and pressed Scott for a new score. German group Tangerine Dream was contracted to complete a new, more contemporary score—-a job they completed in three weeks. Until 2002, only European audiences could see Legend with Goldsmith's score."

There's two soundtracks.

Edit from wikipedia:
"Goldsmith's score was featured in the original version of the film, but due to a disappointing test screening with the original orchestral score, director Ridley Scott decided to make changes to the film. Sidney Sheinberg, president of MCA (the parent company of Universal at the time), felt that the Goldsmith score would not appeal to the youth and pressed Scott for a new score. German group Tangerine Dream was contracted to complete a new, more contemporary score—-a job they completed in three weeks. Until 2002, only European audiences could see Legend with Goldsmith's score."
I'm sure they are both good. I've probably seen both versions, I know i've seen one that didn't have Loved By The Sun at the end

I love everything BP ever composed including Free Willy! Conan barbarian/destroyer, Robocop, Starship troopers... There's something magical about his melodies. It's like he's hearing sounds from parallel universes and takes you in for the ride. He had a very distinctive sound. Thanks for all the trips Mr. Poledouris!

I love everything BP ever composed including Free Willy! Conan barbarian/destroyer, Robocop, Starship troopers... There's something magical about his melodies. It's like he's hearing sounds from parallel universes and takes you in for the ride. He had a very distinctive sound. Thanks for all the trips Mr. Poledouris!
I still discover little gems now and then from BP that I was unaware of- just happened to catch this playing on tv years ago and had to look up who scored it, it's good on it's own but damn good within the film, elevating some dramatic parts really well.

And Conan is just 'one of those' scores that for whatever myriad of reasons just happened to connect with the exact right guy at the right time. It's as if he was specifically born to score it, element's of it are just executed uncannily perfect for that film.

In case anyone is interested in joining the FREE session tomorrow, we're doing "part 2" of our Conan study/chats with myself, Dan Redfeld and Zoë Poledouris-Roché. You can sign up on the link below.

1663943918681.png

I still discover little gems now and then from BP that I was unaware of- just happened to catch this playing on tv years ago and had to look up who scored it, it's good on it's own but damn good within the film, elevating some dramatic parts really well.

And Conan is just 'one of those' scores that for whatever myriad of reasons just happened to connect with the exact right guy at the right time. It's as if he was specifically born to score it, element's of it are just executed uncannily perfect for that film.

because the melodies and harmonies sound like a world of sword and sorcery. Hints of the ancient world, but not tied to actual history

Well that sounds great, but I don't really (by which I mean at all) read music.
I guess it's lucky then, that we don't sit in silence and make you read the manuscript. Rather, we take you on a guided tour, and I'm sure Zoe will throw in some fun anecdotes about her dad too!

A piece from this soundtrack was used in a Zelda trailer many years ago, and it was the first I'd ever heard anything from it. I was way bummed when I found out it wasn't the music for the game, but I went and listened to the whole soundtrack and it's been one of my favorites ever since. Still haven't seen the movie.

I guess it's lucky then, that we don't sit in silence and make you read the manuscript. Rather, we take you on a guided tour, and I'm sure Zoe will throw in some fun anecdotes about her dad too!
Hi Chris,
Seems like I missed this. Is there any way to watch it?

Hi Chris,
Seems like I missed this. Is there any way to watch it?
The video is available in the members section of the ASMAC.org website (along with over a hundred others, in case you're wondering whether it's worth signing up - it is!).

Hi! I received my copy of the score last week and I'm delighted. What a colourful and brilliant orchestration! I rushed to may favorite track, Riders of Doom, but then went to the first two and there are so many details there. I hadn't noticed the multiple meter changes in Anvil of Crom, or even that the main theme there is the steel theme, with the values augmented. This is great, and I'm discovering a lot of things that explain even some of my influences as a composer (for example, the amount of parallel fifths that contribute to the "ancient" flavour).

The score is also of the greatest quality, I'm very happy with this purchase, this has always been one of my favorite music works, alongside with the Shostakovich Symphonies and other classical pieces.

PD: does somebody know if the Total recall score by Goldsmith is available to purchase anywhere?

Been one of my ultimate faves since the movie came out. I originally bought the soundtrack on cassette in middle school, then on CD a few times with the different editions.

One of the biggest challenges Poledouris faced when composing the score was to keep the harmonic and rhythmic language primitive sounding, yet still compelling and modern enough for the audience.

"The Orgy" was modeled on Ravel's Bolero, and the action cues on Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, so that's obviously anachronistic, but it would have been a pretty boring score if he had acttually kept the musical language strictly primitive. And we have no idea what music sounded like in the Sumerian era anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom