What's new

Digital Piano For Older Person?

Quasar

I know a person who is in her 80s, enjoys playing the piano as a hobby, simple church hymns and the like, nothing intricate or advanced. She's in very good general health, but reports that the keys are getting harder to play due to age and muscle fatigue, and asked if I could help her find an "electric piano" that would be easier to play.

How would one go about choosing this? She clearly wants a lighter action, but it still has to be a hammer, piano-style action, not synth or semi-weighted. It has to look like a spinet piano, be a living room furniture piece, not a stage, Nord-like thing, and she couldn't care less about MIDI, connectivity, other instrumental voices, PB/MW, recording features or anything else that an acoustic piano doesn't do. The internal speakers would have to be powerful enough to not sound thin or tinny. How many watts does one need in an average size room to sound truly full?

...Yamaha CLP 725 or 735 are possibilities, or maybe Kawai CA49, and my thinking is that the best way to create a lighter action without giving up the hammer feel is to adjust velocity curves, but I'm not sure how far this goes in practice. I'm also not sure if higher-end wooden key action would actually be worse than plastic. Money is not a much of a barrier (quite unlike when I buy something), though I don't want to recommend something that is overkill for her needs.

I have stressed to her that no digital piano is "the same" as an acoustic piano, and she gets that, but it should be as piano-like as possible. I want it to have the sympathetic resonance, for example.

As much as I've looked at DPs in my life, I never thought about choosing one for this kind of purpose. The search necessitates a completely different sort of approach. Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA.

The Kawais are great (I have a CA-97) and have variable velocity curves. (Including on the latest ones an "improved 'light touch' setting for children", which might be just the ticket?)

I recommend to try with her the Kawai ES110: it's not expensive so you can purchase the whole kit with the stand and pedals, but it's still a few screws from portability.
The light hammer weighted action will be an asset for her.
Of course, if budget allows you can acquire a more expensive model.
I also sold a Yamaha (much heavier keyboard action) to an old woman entering in a retirement home.
She was delighted because she really couldn't bring her grand piano: digital portable pianos take very little space and one can play whenever with headphones.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Yamaha and Kawai are the two DP brands I've tended to gravitate to when looking for myself in the past. One problem with Kawai is there are absolutely no places to try them anywhere near where I live. I have tried MP series boards, but only briefly, and those would not be for her.

The "light touch for children" sounds really great for this use case, if it works as intended.

Personally, I'm a fan of acoustic pianos. Key word, acoustics. Digital pianos, no matter how good, can not reverberate a cabinet. You can actually feel the percussion and vibrations of hammer and string.
I do too, however in this case it's not about selecting between acoustic or electric, but he is looking for a lighter action than an acoustic (mechanical action) piano would give the elderly lady.

(but reports that the keys are getting harder to play due to age and muscle fatigue, and asked if I could help her find an "electric piano" that would be easier to play).

:)

Top Bottom