What's new

DAW where you can have two instances opened at the same time?

OK, so then about this question: can you copy a track from one instance, and paste it in the other that's opened, and save it?
That depends on 1 thing: if your user has Admin privileges. If another account is Admin, then it probably won't work.

On the left the non-admin Reaper, pasted the track to the admin Reaper on the right:

1642511939394.png

I re-read your issue and in Reaper, you can just open as much projects or copies of projects as you want, tabbed in the same Reaper instance, like so:

1642512694929.png

And yes, you can copy/paste and move stuff between tabs.

Don't know if other DAWs support this, but that would probably solve your issue. It's also very easy to save a new version of the same project and switch between them, as Reaper can create a new project file automatically for the new version.

I re-read your issue and in Reaper, you can just open as much projects or copies of projects as you want, tabbed in the same Reaper instance, like so:

1642512694929.png

And yes, you can copy/paste and move stuff between tabs.

Don't know if other DAWs support this, but that would probably solve your issue. It's also very easy to save a new version of the same project and switch between them, as Reaper can create a new project file automatically for the new version.
This would be perfect, just like working in Photoshop and having 10 tabs opened. One major instance to rule them all... :) It is really encouraging to find out that this feature works in a few DAW. I'll have to experiment later.

:dancer::2thumbs:

OK, now for bonus points:

if I wanted to convert a project in DAW A to be then opened in DAW B. Are there such programs/features?

Imagine you have a project in Mixcraft and want to open it in a studio running Logic, for example. Is there a way to save the project in Mixcraft (or other) in a format that can then be reopened in Logic with very little tweaking involved?

if I wanted to convert a project in DAW A to be then opened in DAW B. Are there such programs/features?

Imagine you have a project in Mixcraft and want to open it in a studio running Logic, for example. Is there a way to save the project in Mixcraft (or other) in a format that can then be reopened in Logic with very little tweaking involved?
Reaper has project tabs.

Reaper also can run different instances of Reaper simultaneously.

EDIT: Just saw the other comments on Reaper, so I’m late to the party. Ha.

very little tweaking
Ha, good luck!

If it's just midi and audio you can try exporting and importing OMF but I don't know of any method that would preserve plugins and settings, routings, fx, etc, between different DAWs. It can be done but it's more like "significant tweaking that might take longer than redoing the project from scratch" tweaking.

First hit on Google: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=15484

I'm currently working in Bitwig and it too supports this. Either you can have both projects open, in two tabs, and copy/paste (but as with other DAWs under Windows, the audio engine can only be activated with one of the projects) OR you can use Bitwig's built-in file browser and drag anything (!) from a saved project into your current project. If dragging a complete older project into a new project the old project turns into a group track containing everything as it was in the imported project.

I'm happy with Cubase's Import function but finding the same job faster and easier in Bitwig.

You already got the info on Cakewalk, but you might want to consider Studio One - it has this cool feature (forget the name at the moment) where you can drag tracks from any other project into the active project, it works well. Studio One also supports multiple open files, but again only one can be active at a time. And if you really like the drag and drop approach that works too.

You already got the info on Cakewalk, but you might want to consider Studio One - it has this cool feature (forget the name at the moment) where you can drag tracks from any other project into the active project, it works well. Studio One also supports multiple open files, but again only one can be active at a time. And if you really like the drag and drop approach that works too.
Exactly what I'm looking for. Could you check and see what this feature could be called? No rush, whenever you'd have time. They have two versions of StudioOne, so it could make a difference if only the $400USD version (Pro) has it.

Thanks!

Reaper project tabs are what you want. Can't imagine working without them anymore, especially on large project with lots of cutdowns.

AATranslator works well for converting projects between DAWs. It supports most of the majors, see if it'll work for what you're trying to do.
I'll have to reopen Reaper and consider. I moved away from it a whlie back for a more "hardware" looking DAW, and easier (to me) VST & MIDI routing. :)

With studio one, it's possible to save multiple versions of a project (song in Presonus lingua).
I'll check this evening if it's possible to open 2 versions concurrently.

There's another amazing and nifty feature : mix scenes, which pretty much allows you to save different versions of a mix and to switch from one to another in real time.

Digital Performer chunks would let you have multiple versions in a list, but not open simultaneously. It's a simple click to activate a previous sequence, copy tracks to a clipping and then, return to the current project.
Actually, you can have two different chunks open at the same time. I've had the tracks windows open for two different chunks at the same time. It appears you can activate playback on only one of them at a time. But for the one that does not have playback activated, you can still hear the midi (and presumably audio) by highlighting what you want to hear and using the "audition selection" command. I've used this to copy midi from entire tracks or parts of tracks directly into new sequences. Haven't tried this with audio but I assume it works similarly. It's a very handy feature.

Exactly what I'm looking for. Could you check and see what this feature could be called? No rush, whenever you'd have time. They have two versions of StudioOne, so it could make a difference if only the $400USD version (Pro) has it.

Thanks!
You never buy on full price! If not buying in sale time, used S1 Pro licenses are sold regularly for ~$150-200 right here in the forum or on Knobcloud (e.g. (broken link removed)). I myself have bought it that way, even cheaper as the upgrade from my existing Artist license would have cost regularly. And sold my Artist to save even more. :)

Additional to that it is a damn good DAW, proven through the new 5.5 update. Reading some posts before that it is capable of drag and drop in two open projects makes it the best choice I've made since beginning to create music! Right the next days I knew I had the need for it and worries how to manage that. Worries gone. :2thumbs:

Digital Performer chunks would let you have multiple versions in a list, but not open simultaneously. It's a simple click to activate a previous sequence, copy tracks to a clipping and then, return to the current project.
Not totally accurate. You can absolutely call up multiple sequences/chunks and have them open/displayed at the same time. You can copy between them, drag/drop etc. You just have to select which one is active for playback, but you can have multiples displayed simultanecously. You do not need to use the clippings window (although, you can if you want).

You have to select which chunk/sequence you want to display in the Chunks window and do the key command for whatever window you want to display. You might need to disable 'consolidated windows' , but it definitely works. This is fantastic for TV work, especially.

Last edited:
Not totally accurate. You can absolutely call up multiple sequences/chunks and have them open/displayed at the same time. You can copy between them, drag/drop etc. You just have to select which one is active for playback, but you can have multiples displayed simultanecously. You do not need to use the clippings window (although, you can if you want).

You have to select which chunk/sequence you want to display in the Chunks window and do the key command for whatever window you want to display. You might need to disable 'consolidated windows' , but it definitely works. This is fantastic for TV work, especially.
Thanks. Never considered that different chunks could be open in different windows!
@musicalweather reported basically the same.

S1 also has a bunch if features that can serve as a solution in certain comparison cases.
In 5.5 they finally added automation to scenes which made this whole feature really useful for everyday job.
For compositions there's scratche pad.
For everything else there's "save as a new version" (which saves it inside of current project and not as a separated file) and "Import song data" that can be used through drdictaed import menu or with d&d from S1 browser.
Finally, yes, S1 supports work on multiple projects and you can switch between them with cntrl+tab(or similar command, I don't rember the exact combination).

Top Bottom