What's new

Cubase vs Reaper for composing. Is the grass greener?

Any action initiated in the event rectangle is handled by the "cc event edit" context/settings. To get the actual "ignore selection" from the cc lane context, you have to click outside of a selected event.
You can't have a draw tool (like in envelope lane) which overwrites anything underneath it, regardless of selection, and that exact thing is causing much friction.
If I understand correctly what you want to do, this should work: set the default left-drag action in *both* contexts, MIDI CC lane and MIDI CC event, to the same action, "Draw/edit CC events ignoring selection". (You can also set shift+leftdrag in both contexts to "Draw/edit CC events ignoring snap and selection" to draw smooth curves without snapping to grid.)

Ivan M.

Tried again, and this time was able to configure it to work for most use cases. So 90% of the problem was me, and not reaper. Should have explored the settings more thoroughly before complaining, sorry cocos team, now I feel bad. Not to digress the thread anymore, I'll stop here.

Synetos

Gear Addict
I too have bounced around several DAWs over the years. Yet I always seem to go back to Cubase. However, I do think it might be that I have worked with it so long that it seems to be what looks and feels "right".

That said, I like Logic, but my Mac hardware is aging. Had the Mac Pro not taken so long to refresh, I might have gone that route 3 years ago.

I am giving Reaper a serious try again. I know if I "had" to use it all the time, I would get comfortable and likely fall in love with all it's flexibility. I just have not stuck with it long enough in the past to get there.

I am sure it is subjective hearing, but it seems to my ears that Reaper sounds better than Cubase...richer, more open? I don't know. Maybe it's wishful thinking?

Top Bottom