1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cubase - Keyswitching between different plug-ins/plug-in instances

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by musophrenic, Sep 7, 2012.

1. dadmac

dadmac Member

May 29, 2012
    Hello Brian,
    I downloaded ipmidi and create 2 ports. No luck on getting midi channel 2 to play by itself with the keyswitches. I'm also using a novation controller as shown for inputting. I've switched between IACdriver and ipmidi. Attach is a screen shot..

Attached Files:

2. dadmac

dadmac Member

May 29, 2012
    Brian.
    i figured it out.
    It worked when I set the first midi channel/articulation in Kontakt to channel 2, not 1.
    Now i'm in heaven.
    Thank You

3. bwherry

bwherry Senior Member

Oh, good - glad you got it sorted.

I'll have to add that to the product quotes & accolades page, if I make one. :)

Email me once you've used it for a while - curious how it works for you on Mac...

B

4. afg

afg Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Dear Brian

First of all, TransMidiFier is a fantastic concept and just what I wanted. I set up the routing exactly how you mentioned. But, somehow I am not getting any sound. Infact, there is no midi signal flowing into Kontakt.

I know that the output leg from my DAW (Cubase) to the input in TransMidiFier is working (I can see the keyboard notes move in TransMidiFier when I press my external keyboard) but the output signal from TansMidiFier leg to Cubase input to the output to Kontakt does not seem to work. There is just no Midi signal flowing to the final instrument in Kontakt. Any idea why this is happening?

I am running Cubase on a PC and I have downloaded the trial version of MidiOverLan and have enabled localpipe

Waiting eagerly for your help.

Thanks

5. afg

afg Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Dear Brian

First of all, TransMidiFier is a fantastic concept and just what I wanted. I set up the routing exactly how you mentioned. But, somehow I am not getting any sound. Infact, there is no midi signal flowing into Kontakt.

I know that the output leg from my DAW (Cubase) to the input in TransMidiFier is working (I can see the keyboard notes move in TransMidiFier when I press my external keyboard) but the output signal from TansMidiFier leg to Cubase input to the output to Kontakt does not seem to work. There is just no Midi signal flowing to the final instrument in Kontakt. Any idea why this is happening?

I am running Cubase on a PC and I have downloaded the trial version of MidiOverLan and have enabled localpipe

Waiting eagerly for your help.

Thanks

6. afg

afg Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Hi

Just wanted to say that the problem is finally solved. MidiOverLan was not working on my PC so I switched over to LoopMidi. It is now working like a charm. TransMidifier is truly amazing. It makes switching between patches so easy.

Thanks, Brian for your help.

Regards

Adil

7. bwherry

bwherry Senior Member

Thanks for the update, Adil. Glad it's working for you now.

BTW, for anyone else following/viewing this thread, here's the TransMIDIfier introduction thread that has the link to the new intro/demo video, etc.: http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29067

Brian

8. colony nofi

colony nofi Senior Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi...
    Just a quick question... having watched your promo video - and then reading the usage of transmidifier with cubase (I'm on nuendo - so same same) & VEP

Do you still need the "pass thru" midi channels in cubendo to get to VEP? The video didn't seem to have these channels in the simple cubase session that I could see....

Maybe I'm missing something simple...

I'm using VEP on 3 slave machines, all accessed from the vep server loaded in nuendo.

Cheers, Brendan.

9. bwherry

bwherry Senior Member

Hi Brendan,

You've got a good eye! I currently use VEP on my sampler slave, but I use it in standalone mode (for a variety of reasons), so I send MIDI from my sequencer to the sampler, then audio comes back via ADAT lightpipe. Anyway, with this setup, the MIDI "passthrough" tracks aren't necessary, as TransMIDIfier can just send the MIDI straight to VEP on the sampler. This is what the latest intro video shows.

If you're using VEP in its client/server mode (both MIDI and audio over ethernet) you'll have to use a MIDI "passthrough" track for each MIDI port of each VEP instance you want to target in order to route the MIDI from TransMIDIfier to a VEPro instance in the VST Instruments rack. For instance, say you've got a VEP instance called "Strings" and inside the VEP project you've got three different instances of Kontakt - one for long strings, one for short strings, and one for solos. You would need three different MIDI "passthrough" tracks in order to allow TransMIDIfier to access all 16 channels of each Kontakt instance in the VEP project. One passthrough track for longs, one for shorts, and one for solos. Make sense?

It would basically be the same setup for when you've got Kontakt or other VSTi instances hosted in the sequencer and need to route MIDI "to TransMIDIfier and back."

Hope this helps!

Brian

10. colony nofi

Jul 19, 2012
    Ah - thanks. A good eye? No - not usually. Just like to completely understand processes before I use them (which is becoming harder and harder the older I get I fear...)

Hm. I really need to think LONG and hard about this one - as it will mean totally rebuilding my template (which needs massive work anyway) - and probably many many passthru tracks.

Have you ever had any problems with the number of IAC ports open on a machine? I'm going to need a huge number to get this working. (I'm on all macs)

BUT - and this is the kicker - getting ALL my different libraries to work in the same way would be absolutely amazing. Just having 16 pads that are consistant for keyswitching - let alone other tricks that this will allow me to pull off....

I'm wondering if I really need to use Transmidifier (I'll call it TM) for all of it though... I'm thinking LASS does a pretty good job of getting most of what I want done inside the ARC... and I could always "supplement" the arc with your TM I guess. Lots of playing and many headaches ahead I fear.

I did get some bits working yest - but still don't have my head completely around the concept. (Just a few IAC things to understand really... should get there this morning)

Cheers, Brendan.

11. bwherry

bwherry Senior Member

Hey Brendan,

As I'm primarily a Windows user (and use MIDIoverLAN's local pipes for virtual MIDI cable functionality) I can't offer much guidance re: the limits of IAC ports on Mac.

It definitely does take some time to get one's head around all the possibilities that TransMIDIfier offers. I've had it for longer than anyone, and I've got lots of fun outputs like "Full Orchestra Chords" and "Full Strings Octaves" etc. but I keep thinking of new ways to use it all the time! Maybe start using it little by little. First find the instrument patches that you want to switch among from a single MIDI track and get that happening. Then identify the instruments whose behavior you're not totally thrilled with and see what you can modify to get closer to what you want. Then find all the single-octave percussion patches and determine which ones you'd want to have in a single, full-keyboard instrument. And so on... Make it a slow evolution, not a revolution. Just my $.02. :)

Brian

12. colony nofi

Jul 19, 2012
    What you say seems VERY wise.

I'm in the middle of re-distributing various libs across my slaves to make better use of the processing power I have at my disposal. (I often work outside of my studio, so use multiple mac mini's as slaves... its delicate, but generally works pretty well)

Thus, my entire template needs rebuilding. I'm going from scratch - because SO much has changed since I built my last one. 3 big new libs to put in (cine perc+pro being the latest one), an update (LASS to LASS2 - I know, slow to get to it, but its just so difficult to change templates during projects) etc etc.

I'm trying to make things as SIMPLE as possible during the composition phase - which unfortunately makes things more difficult at the template building stage. Need to be able to quickly change the entire orchestral sound (so, I use close mic samples + various verbs in the DAW session), and have access to pretty much everything instantaneously.

Will see how things pan out.... but transmidifier will get a run - am sure of that. But I might build first, and then add it to the template as I see the need, rather than design it in from the get go.

If I get strings done today, I'll be very happy!

Cheers, Brendan.

13. Blackster

Blackster Senior Member

Hi Brian,

just a short question. I have set up everything like you explained and it's working totally fine.

BUT when I try to export something the midi flow doesn't get through to VE Pro. As a result the rendered audio file is totally silent. The live playback in Cubase is great and the midi flow works great as well.

Do you have any idea why that is? Of course, I've set up the "midi thru" channels properly and the routing is correct as well. I'm searching through Cubase midi settings but don't find anything related to that problem.

I assume that Cubase does not accept the returned midi signals from TransMIDIfier in rendering mode, but I'm not sure ...

Thanks in advance!

14. bwherry

bwherry Senior Member

Hi Blackster,

How are you doing the render/export in Cubase? If it's a file -> export -> audio mixdown (sorry, can't remember the exact menu terminology here at my laptop), the thing that runs faster than real-time, that won't work because if I recall correctly MIDI tracks basically get turned off. MIDI tracks don't participate in the faster-than-real-time export.

This thread talks about it:
    http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66948

That thread also mentions that if you check the "real-time export" box it should work. So give that a shot?

You can also always print whatever audio is produced by your virtual instruments to an audio track - this is how I do it (since I like to listen during printing, to make sure there are no hiccups/spats coming from the samplers).

Hope this helps!

Brian

15. Blackster

Blackster Senior Member

Hi Brian,

thanks for your reply. In fact, I didn't check "realtime export" and I thought that this would solve the problem, but unfortunately it didn't. I have tracked down the problem a little bit. Cubase is sending its midi data to TransMIDIfier and while printing the track TransMIDIfier is working properly (I the visual feedback that midi data is received and sent) but Cubase does not receive the midi data from TransMIDIfier through the "midi thruh" channels. That is the end of the signal chain right now.

I'm really confused because everything is fine in live playback ... I would be happy for any hint which might solve the issue! Many thanks!

16. bwherry

bwherry Senior Member

Cubase must be taking those "passthrough" tracks out of input monitor mode while doing the export. Darn it. *sigh* Looks like the print option is the way to go.

Brian

17. Blackster

Blackster Senior Member

Hi Brian,

thanks for your answer. That's exactly what I'm guessing. Damn it !! ... but well, we gotta work with what we've got :) ...

Many thanks for your investigation on that! o-[][]-o

18. nostaller

nostaller New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    If you have an RME Card, you can Loop Back from your Outputs to your Inputs within Totalmix Window and Record your desired audio stems that use midi passthrough inside cubase ...

Cheers, nostaller

PS: Thanks Brian for this great Software !!!

19. blizzard

blizzard Senior Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Hey Brian - I'm a little confused with how the "passthough" midi channels are working. I am using Pro Tools and can't recall there being anything similar to what you describe. Though, admittedly I could be missing it somewhere in the Pro Tools midi settings.

I've never used Cubase so I'm can't visual the path the midi is taking when going from Cubase -> TransMidifier -> Back to Cubase (via passthrough??) -> to VEPRO (or what ever VSTi).

I'm thinking some custom routing within Pro Tools is probably the same as the passthrough midi track, with it likely being a simple way to get midi from a to b in one track.

Am I out to lunch?

I will be rebuilding my template this weekend using Protools, VEPRO (on a slave), TouchOSC and Transmidifier and am trying to understand everything before I dig in.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Andrew

20. bwherry

bwherry Senior Member

Hey Andrew,

Pro Tools MIDI tracks can't be set to input monitor, so the only way to have "passthrough" MIDI tracks would be to record arm MIDI tracks in PT. Obviously not a great solution, since the MIDI will get recorded. :( Feature request #1 for Pro Tools: ability to input monitor MIDI tracks!

I host my samples on a different computer (running VEPro in *standalone* mode). MIDI is sent from the sequencer to the sampler via MIDIoverLAN, and audio from the sampler gets routed back (to a separate Pro Tools rig, actually). So I don't actually need the MIDI passthrough tracks in my current setup. (I took the screenshots when I was using VEPro in its usual client/server mode, which I no longer do for a variety of reasons.) MIDI from Cubase goes to TransMIDIfier via virtual MIDI ports in loopMIDI and TransMIDIfier's outputs go directly to the sampler via MIDIoverLAN.

Give Cubase a shot if this workflow is important to you. Cubase 7.5 now has playlists! I think they have a trial version, too. I used to sequence in Pro Tools but have since switched to Cubase and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Hope this helps!

Brian