What's new

CSS Short Articulation Switching in Logic

Bear Market

I am Legion
Maybe some experienced Logic and CSS user can help me with this small issue.

I'm currently using articulation sets from Babylon Waves, which I'm generally happy with. However, is it possible to setup Logic's articulation set for CSS in a manner that allows me to switch between its short articulations and not having to use cc1 to decide which short articulation that should be triggered?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe some experienced Logic and CSS user can help me with this small issue.

I'm currently using articulation sets from Babylon Waves, which I'm generally happy with. However, is it possible to setup Logic's articulation set for CSS in a manner that allows me to switch between its short articulations and not having to use cc1 to decide which short articulation that should be triggered?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
I’m not in the studio at the moment, so I can’t check, but I believe that if you open the articulation file in the editor, go to the output tab, you can enable the Multiple Outputs (or similar wording) in the bottom left corner. Then find the “short” articulation entry above and modify it to use CC58 at the value given in the CSS manual to trigger the short articulation you want. Create another articulation entry for the remaining shorts and add their respective CC58 values to trigger them too.

If it’s unclear I’ll try it out and post better instructions when I’m up and running...

I believe that if you open the articulation file in the editor, go to the output tab, you can enable the Multiple Outputs (or similar wording) in the bottom left corner. Then find the “short” articulation entry above and modify it to use CC58 at the value given in the CSS manual to trigger the short articulation you want.

Jackpot! Thanks so much, this makes programming shorts so much easier!

The Art Conductor CSS templates will get an update soon.

Thanks for the mention @JohnBMears! But as the OP is using Marc's system, I'm sure he'll hook Bear up with an update, esp. now that 10.4.2 allows for that kind of programming.

For as much as I love the sound of the Cinematic libraries, I've always found it odd that they chose to implement CC1 to control two completely different things: dynamics in longs, and articulation type in shorts. CC1 conflicts between dynamic rides in longs, and articulation selection in shorts, are inevitable. Sigh...

Fantastic! Any other updates on the horizon? Perhaps (if it is possible) getting Spitfire performance legato patches to work together with other patches in a multi?
Could you please contact me privately? The performance Legato patches are supposed to work. As for the update: Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without one I guess ;)

The performance Legato patches are supposed to work. As for the update: Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without one I guess ;)

I've gotten this to work now. If anyone else has a problem with Spitfire's performance legato patches, the trick is to relocate the KS note to C-2 using their "shimmier" (the little icon at the very bottom left on the expert view) and not the keyswitch default key in Kontakt.

Thanks Marc for the guidance! I'm looking forward to the Christmas update :)

Thanks for the mention @JohnBMears! But as the OP is using Marc's system, I'm sure he'll hook Bear up with an update, esp. now that 10.4.2 allows for that kind of programming.

For as much as I love the sound of the Cinematic libraries, I've always found it odd that they chose to implement CC1 to control two completely different things: dynamics in longs, and articulation type in shorts. CC1 conflicts between dynamic rides in longs, and articulation selection in shorts, are inevitable. Sigh...

I the settings you can turn the CC1 off for the shorts in CSS.

I've gotten this to work now. If anyone else has a problem with Spitfire's performance legato patches, the trick is to relocate the KS note to C-2 using their "shimmier" (the little icon at the very bottom left on the expert view) and not the keyswitch default key in Kontakt.

Hi there. I'm having the same issue you had, when using a using a single instance of kontakt with one group of instruments from SSO (say Violins 1 all articulations) the performance legato patch is the only patch that does not sync up. Expert view can be accessed on all other instruments panels, except for my performance legato instance. Can you share a screenshot, or explain in a little more detail how you got this to work? Appreciate the help!

Could you please contact me privately? The performance Legato patches are supposed to work. As for the update: Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without one I guess ;)
I am having the same issue with spitfire symphonic strings performance legato patches. Has this been resolved in an update? It looks like the performance legato patches are default to CC20 (generic), but it looks like CC32 is also an option? SS Brass and Winds seem to work correctly.

What I like to do for CSS/CSSS in Logic with Articulation Sets is to change the dynamics to CC6 via the gear icon and insert a macro in the Environment that filters CC1 for short articulations (thus rendering it inoperable) and converts CC1 to CC6 for long articulations.

Hi there. I'm having the same issue you had, when using a using a single instance of kontakt with one group of instruments from SSO (say Violins 1 all articulations) the performance legato patch is the only patch that does not sync up. Expert view can be accessed on all other instruments panels, except for my performance legato instance. Can you share a screenshot, or explain in a little more detail how you got this to work? Appreciate the help!

Hi there Grant. Apologies for this late reply, I totally missed your post. I don't understand why you cannot access the expert view, which patch are you loading? You need to manually move the key switch to C-2 (I believe it was at C-1 by default, at least for me).

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 20.10.59.png

Hi y'all,

I apologize if this seems like a retarded request, but can Bear Market or someone with the same knowledge about Spitfire/Art Conductor keyswitching please explain how to actually pull this off in the most detailed and idiot-proof way possible?

No matter what I do, I can't get that Performance Legato patch to stop overlapping articulations from other patches (core and decorative) on the same midi channel within the same instance of Kontakt.
And yes, I have tried the approach above to death by now (moving the keyswitch by clicking and dragging on top of the keyboard shimmier), but I'm obviously doing something wrong as it seems to work for others but not for me. Also, I don't really get this with C-2. If it's meant to be the key C-2 (as seems to be the case) it doesn't make sense since the last C on the far left of the keyboard would be C0 (Yamaha) or C1 (Roland) which means C-2 is two octaves lower, way below what is actually visible in the Kontakt piano roll as it's only showing 7 octaves.

Are there any differences as to the keyswitching layout between sections, e.g. Violins vs Basses? Right now I'm trying to solve this problem in the Violas and Celli, and I'll soon bang my head hard to the wall as I'm pretty much out of hair to pull.

Also, I don't really get this with C-2. If it's meant to be the key C-2 (as seems to be the case) it doesn't make sense since the last C on the far left of the keyboard would be C0 (Yamaha) or C1 (Roland) which means C-2 is two octaves lower, way below what is actually visible in the Kontakt piano roll as it's only showing 7 octaves.

+0 means that the virtual keyboard is at the lower end and the first key is C-2

upload_2019-6-19_0-25-18.png

in UACC KS mode, this key must be red in all instruments that you want to control as a single big one. otherwise you'll end up with an articulation constantly playing on top of the others. if you cannot move the red key with the shimmer try this: load only one instrument, adjust the red key, save it again so the key is right when you load it.

hth

Ah geez, thank you!!!
I might have missed the little detail about being able to actually transpose on the fly in Kontakt using the up/down arrows... Did someone say RTFM?
Well, it's Tuesday night here in Sweden and I'm probably going to keep feeling like a complete idiot until tomorrow morning. :shocked:
Nevertheless, thank you again, this solves all of it.

Top Bottom