What's new

Creating custom wavetables to be used in Falcon

KiLa

Hi, noobster here again!

I was trying to create my own wavetables and then use them in Falcon Wavetable OSC. I created simple test sound - 1 bar long synth sound from MaiTai - in Studio one -> bounce it to audio -> drag the created wav file into Falcon from S1 browser/Windows file explorer, but Falcon says that 'Invalid wavetable format'.

What is the 'correct' way to create custom wavetables?

-k

Ty for the response @doctoremmet. To my understanding, manual, or the link(s), doesn't explain what kind of audio files are recognized as wavetable files. It would be nice to know if anyone has used their own wavetables, and if so, how did they create them. Maybe the file created in S1, when bouncing audio, is just wrong/invalid format.

Progress: by renaming file - test.wav -> test_12.wav - I manged to import file but the result wasn't what I was expecting: feels like Falcon is importing only one slice several times

It always imports wavs one slice per channel, and the number after the underscore you used there signifies the number of samples per slice.

I've been meaning to look this up after having some trouble with it, so thanks for (unintended) prompt. If I find out anything useful workflow-wise, I'll report back. On the face of it, it appears more difficult than with Pigments, which can use any .wav file, however named, of whatever length, as a wavetable. And you can drag and drop it in very easily. Possibly, however, the restrictions or naming conventions in Falcon are intended to give more control and ensure a more effective result.

Yes, the manual makes it sound as if it would be easy. But pretty much everything I drag and drop is rejected as not being formatted correctly. Also, one slice per channel - is that left and right? I don't know that it could be anything else, but I just thought I'd check!

I may have found a solution, or at least it is working predicatively: number in the suffix specifies the slice/wave size, in frames. The used number must be such that the remainder is zero.

Lets say that I have a sample with 88200 frames, and I want to use that as a source for the wavetable synth and I want to extract 10 waves. Easy, I rename my file to test_8820.wav. 12 waves? test_7350.wav.

What if You want 11 waves. You need to trim the file so that it has 88198 frames and then rename the file to test_8018.wav.

I found this after chatting with UVI support and then experimenting and doing some basic math. And know my head hurts :D

I may have found a solution, or at least it is working predicatively: number in the suffix specifies the slice/wave size, in frames. The used number must be such that the remainder is zero.

Lets say that I have a sample with 88200 frames, and I want to use that as a source for the wavetable synth and I want to extract 10 waves. Easy, I rename my file to test_8820.wav. 12 waves? test_7350.wav.

What if You want 11 waves. You need to trim the file so that it has 88198 frames and then rename the file to test_8018.wav.

I found this after chatting with UVI support and then experimenting and doing some basic math. And know my head hurts :D
If they are irregular and odd, I wonder how I count the number of waves in a sample.

@KiLa

Just a quick report back, there is more to getting the wavetable properly formatted than the naming convention.

First, there is the naming. This is puzzling, since this applies to User wavetables, but does not apply to UVI or third-party wavetables. Perhaps those are making use of metadata to cover the same ground.

In short, if your sample is 24 bit and 48kHz, then you need a suffix for the file name and this one seems to work: name_2048

I've lost track of how to fix that number, and I'll be doing additional research to try to pin down the rules.

Second, the audio of the file itself must be appropriately arranged. I have not yet found out precisely how. In theory, it seems that you should be able to do this with just the editing facilities in a DAW. However, for now, I'll be using software into which you can import any audio sample and it will then reformat that sample for you.

Pigments does this automatically; Falcon does not. Vital (which is free) will allow you to input any audio sample (or image, I think - which Falcon can do too) and it will format it for you, allow you to edit it, and then export it as a wave file.

Basically, drag and drop your wav file (others probably work too) into an oscillator, and open the editing (click on the little pencil icon). Go up to the save options in the editor, and you can choose to export as a wav file.

So, after around nine months, this is far as I've managed to get. Now, I can take a sample of a bassoon, use Vital to convert it into a wavetable wav file, which I name, say bassoon_2048 and then I have my new wavetable. If you own the original sample (or it is CC0), then you now own the created wavetable.

I have a lot more work to do to learn what I presume are basic facts that I would have expected to be posted all over the place. Perhaps the problem is the amount of 'information' out there, and the inability of search engines to distinguish between reliable and detailed information and chatter.

If anyone can recommend a book or course to learn about these things that are suitable for a very technically inept imbecile to understand, please do let me know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom