What's new

[Course] Theme Writing 1: Emotions with 8-Bar Film Forms

Ludwig

Film Music Notes is happy to announce the launch of a new course, Theme Writing 1: Emotions with 8-Bar Film Forms. Get this course for the launch price of $79 (regular $99) for a limited time. Use the link above to watch an overview, see the course contents, and enroll in the course.

Learn how 8-bar forms shape the emotional expression of a theme. Go well beyond the classical forms of the sentence and period with 12 different 8-bar forms and their 16-bar versions as well. Examples of each form are cited from well-known films and at the end of the course, sample compositions compare different forms with the same opening idea. Composition exercises with answers are included in MIDI format for DAWs, MusicXML for notation software, and PDF and MP3 for pencil and paper.

theme-writing-1-1-launch.jpg

Last edited:
Film Music Notes is happy to announce the launch of a new course, Theme Writing 1: Emotions with 8-Bar Film Forms. Get this course for the launch price of $79 (regular $99) for a limited time. Use the link above to watch an overview, see the course contents, and enroll in the course.

Learn how 8-bar forms shape the emotional expression of a theme. Go well beyond the classical forms of the sentence and period with 12 different 8-bar forms and their 16-bar versions as well. Examples of each form are cited from well-known films and at the end of the course, sample compositions compare different forms with the same opening idea. Composition exercises with answers are included in MIDI format for DAWs, MusicXML for notation software, and PDF and MP3 for pencil and paper.

theme-writing-1-1-launch.jpg
Any details how long the launch sale lasts?

Could you please tell me what is a 8-bars film form, in the first place ? A music that is 8 bars long ? Is it a standard ?

Could you please tell me what is a 8-bars film form, in the first place ? A music that is 8 bars long ? Is it a standard ?
An 8-bar film form refers to a theme of 8 bars length that falls into two 4-bar phrases and occurs in the film repertoire. And yes, these kinds of themes are standard in film, especially when it comes to main themes, which is where I draw most of my examples from. I wrote about these kinds of themes in this academic article I had published several years ago, where I analyzed the structure of nearly 500 main themes:

The course adapts this work and describes the various types of structures found in these 8-bar themes, showing how the choice of structure can impact the emotional expression of that theme.

Top Bottom