What's new

Cons of Spitfire Percussion (by Joby Burgess)?

Ray

What are the pros and cons of Spitfire Percussion and which outweighs which? If it's not worth it, what are the alternatives at the same price of 400 USD?
To help with the suggestions, I want to write documentary music.

Last edited:

Alex Niedt

It's beautiful if you need traditional orchestral percussion, like the Air Studios hall sound, and don't need a dry sound. The close mics are still wet and the library really shines when letting the hall shine. If that suits you and you're restricted to that price point, I'd say it's totally worth it, though if you can wait, you could grab it on Black Friday sale.

Mike Fox

Pros: it has some of the best melodic percussion I've ever heard.

Cons: can be a bit too wet at times.

Reactions: Ray

stonzthro

It really all depends on what kind of music you write. Give more info and you'll get a better idea of what to expect from SF's library and other suggestions.

storyteller

It is one of the few libraries that I have never seen anyone complain about on VIC. As long as you know it is a wet library, I don’t think you could go wrong with it at all. I have it. I love it. It really is a great sounding library with a wide array of instruments. The Celeste is so creamy!

Of note - If you want a more detailed glock, marimba, and xylophone for solo work, you will likely need to pick up solo libraries for those down the line, but the included articulations and dynamics will likely fit 95%+ of your needs.

dormusic

+1 for too wet. Especially when performing fp in tremolos.
Also, from my experience the programming leaves something to be desired regarding dampening, chokes, relase triggers and their volume/color attenuation etc'.
For sus. cym. I use cinecrash for years because of extreme round robins.

OP
Ray

Ray

It really all depends on what kind of music you write. Give more info and you'll get a better idea of what to expect from SF's library and other suggestions.
I'm planning on writing documentary music.

OP
Ray

Ray

It's beautiful if you need traditional orchestral percussion, like the Air Studios hall sound, and don't need a dry sound. The close mics are still wet and the library really shines when letting the hall shine. If that suits you and you're restricted to that price point, I'd say it's totally worth it, though if you can wait, you could grab it on Black Friday sale.
A wet sound doesn't fit documentary music, is that right?

Virtual Virgin

Of note - If you want a more detailed glock, marimba, and xylophone for solo work, you will likely need to pick up solo libraries for those down the line, but the included articulations and dynamics will likely fit 95%+ of your needs.
They forgot to sample sustains on the vibraphone and the marimba sounds like it has a low pass filter on.

storyteller

A wet sound doesn't fit documentary music, is that right?
I honestly don't mean this answer to sound abrasive to your question (as I am sure you are asking for a very valid reason), but any type of sound can be used for any type of production - including documentaries. I would feel perfectly fine using Spitfire percussion for a documentary if the score/soundbed/music/cue called for it.

The reason the wetness of the library is being brought up is due to the composer having to consider if it will blend well in a mix with the other libraries being used. Wetness is just a natural reverb included in the recording... which you will apply to your mix anyway if you had dry samples. My opinion is that Spitfire percussion's wetness makes it even better than a dry library. But again, I'd caution you and say that often times percussion solos may need a more deeply sampled library that is a bit more dry and detailed (like Ricotti Mallets by Spitfire).

constaneum

i have this gem and i have to say it's one of the finest sampled percussion libraries. I really like the way it sounds, especially the celeste. Really beautiful. The timpani to me sounds great as well. I'll say it's meant to be used in an orchestra setup but not really for solo writing or what. If you want that kind of on your face sound, its close mic doesnt really nail it much. The close mic is more for adding a bit of bite to the wet sounds so that it'll shine a bit. If you really want that kind of on your face sound, i think true strike works better. Rhapsody Percussion can be considered as well. If budget isn't an issue, i'll say Cineperc.

Ben E

The only downside to this library is the triangle (no joke.) Everything else is fantastic.

Top Bottom