What's new

Composers looking for projects (short films, video games, ...) for FREE!

Hi,

We are NOX Music, two passionate composers based in Switzerland and we are looking for projects. We are intersted in films, TV shows and video games and would be keen to collaborate for free.

You can find our music on Spotify, Deezer or Apple Music or take a look at our Youtube channel.

Feel free to reach out if you are seeking for a composer for your project :)

Cheers!
You don't really need to advertise "for free". Truth is that the makers of the projects will decide what they can pay you. I would suggest first trying to find the kinds of projects that you might be suited for. Contact the film/game makers of that project and pitch yourself. If they have money for music, they'll pay. If they don't. They will tell you they don't.

But willing to work for free is not a selling point and kind of misses the first part of the equation, which is convince somebody that you are the right composer for their project. THEN you negotiate. If they have money they WILL pay. If they don't then you decide what it is that you may want in exchange for your services and music. There are so many creative ways to make deals but offering for free straight out of the gate isn't one of them. It just tells peole you think you're worthless.

Hi,

We are NOX Music, two passionate composers based in Switzerland and we are looking for projects. We are intersted in films, TV shows and video games and would be keen to collaborate for free.

You can find our music on Spotify, Deezer or Apple Music or take a look at our Youtube channel.

Cheers!
Hello and welcome to the community! I just took a listen to some of your YouTube videos/music and I think it's really good! Great mix/master as well especially on the Norrsken score!

Now, the real question is - Why do you want to work for free? You should never do that! Even if it's for $100.

Your time costs! Besides that, working for free would encourage directors to work with other composers for free as well and that's not such a good deal.

And please don't go in the https://www.epidemicsound.com/ direction whatsoever.

Just my 2c here!

Best wishes,
Allen

Be aware that some creators on the lookout for cheap/free work, will also be doing things like treat every scene as a competition - without telling anyone. They just have multiple composers score their film and take whatever score for whichever scene they like the most, and have possibly several composers end up with no credit by the end, despite putting in the effort to score AND having no clue other composers were working on it! It’s a nasty experience, and making your primary selling point that you’re free will actually attract these kinds of people.

That said, there is a place for doing work for free. If you REALLY get along well with the creator, and you LOVE their project, legitimately, and they really want to work with you and are great to get along with - that relationship, and that credit on a quality project, have value. But that’s a determination you make after you’ve learned about the creators and project itself, not your opening bid.

Also keep in mind that posting to composer forums is a good way to just get a bunch of composers responding to you. Lol

Also keep in mind that posting to composer forums is a good way to just get a bunch of composers responding to you. Lol
All too true... also, posting to a composers' forum advertising that you're willing to work for free, when we depend on income doing our art/craft to survive, isn't a very good way to endear yourself to that community.

All too true... also, posting to a composers' forum advertising that you're willing to work for free, when we depend on income doing our art/craft to survive, isn't a very good way to endear yourself to that community.
Oh yes “endear” when the only reason to offer working cheap/free out the gate is basically “hire me because I undercut everyone else!” No one likes being undercut, and the first impression they’re giving here is exclusively that.

Now, I’m happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, most times something like this comes along, it’s a lack of experience and desperation to get something, anything at all, and not because they’ve thought it out and realize how this comes across to everyone else, including the creators they’re trying to attract in the first place!

Hi,

Cheers!
I agree with what everyone has said here. Working for free shouldn't be the lead selling point, or a selling point at all. Your music sounds polished and professional - don't sell yourself short.

If you want to get yourselves out there and get known among directors or game developers, game jams are an excellent place to get involved. This does mean generally working for free, but it's loads of fun, and you'll start to build up your portfolio quickly. And it could possibly lead to paid work. Start rooting around itch.io, find a jam that sounds interesting and sign up for it. Discord is also a place where you could advertise your services. With your strong portfolio, you should be getting contacted pretty quickly.

Beaten like a dead horse, but if want a sure way to compose for video/film, become a filmmaker... a smartphone or tablet/youtube/2 to 5-minute clips. This will also change your perspective - "seeing" from behind the lens. And who knows... you may be a good composer, but a great filmmaker in the making. All the best!

Remember what papa Joker teached us.

Film Noir — The Dark Knight: Obvious Shadows

I agree with what everyone has said here. Working for free shouldn't be the lead selling point, or a selling point at all. Your music sounds polished and professional - don't sell yourself short.

If you want to get yourselves out there and get known among directors or game developers, game jams are an excellent place to get involved. This does mean generally working for free, but it's loads of fun, and you'll start to build up your portfolio quickly. And it could possibly lead to paid work. Start rooting around itch.io, find a jam that sounds interesting and sign up for it. Discord is also a place where you could advertise your services. With your strong portfolio, you should be getting contacted pretty quickly.
Actually, I’ve been interested in doing more game work (I’ve been in film/TV), but I haven’t figured out how to network yet. Intended to go to GDC last year, but…yeah.

I’ll look into itch.io! Regarding Discord, I haven’t figured out how to work that yet. Do you have any tips on finding game jams? Or is the game jams a thing to look for on itch.io rather than discord?

Actually, I’ve been interested in doing more game work (I’ve been in film/TV), but I haven’t figured out how to network yet. Intended to go to GDC last year, but…yeah.

I’ll look into itch.io! Regarding Discord, I haven’t figured out how to work that yet. Do you have any tips on finding game jams? Or is the game jams a thing to look for on itch.io rather than discord?
Hi Justin, the link I posted for itch.io is actually to the page where they list all the current and upcoming game jams. There are tons of them! Here's the link again: https://itch.io/jams

I would just go through and see what appeals. Many of the developers will post for crew on itch.io but have their communities on Discord. If you're hired / taken on as a composer for a jam, most often the game developers will communicate with you through Discord. Once you get into those Discord communities, those connections will lead you to other people and communities on Discord. But I agree, it is a bit hard to make your way through it.

There are also forums like https://gamedev.net (gamedev.net) or GameJobHunter, though my hunch is that Discord is probably better, as chaotic as it may seem sometimes. The forums tend to be flooded with composers looking for gigs.

I don't have a huge number of game credits, but here are ways I've found paid work in games:
  • responding to an open call for submissions for a game at a conference for audio professionals
  • LinkedIn job posting
  • cold contacting a video game developer
  • applying for a job posted on a forum
Game jams are generally not paid, but I find them a quick way to start bulking up my portfolio and of course, to make connections. I also like them because they allow me to find out what game developers really want in terms of music, so I have a better idea of what is marketable.

It's quite rare for a paid composer job to be posted anywhere - on LinkedIn, forums or otherwise. The people who hire composers tend to use their own networks and word-of-mouth, which is why it's so important to network. Not that I'm very good at that...

Oh, and just an FYI for VI-Cers who may not have experience in game jams: I always make sure that I have a signed contract with the game developer, which gives me complete ownership of the music and them a (non-exclusive) license to use it. Yes, I have this even if no money is changing hands. It's important. Language that is too severe or formal or legal sounding (like "contract") might scare them away. So I'll say something like, "I came up with a short deal memo so that you're able to use my work without running into any licensing issues. Would you mind giving it a look and letting me know if it looks ok to you?" That seems to work.

Hi Justin, the link I posted for itch.io is actually to the page where they list all the current and upcoming game jams. There are tons of them! Here's the link again: https://itch.io/jams

I would just go through and see what appeals. Many of the developers will post for crew on itch.io but have their communities on Discord. If you're hired / taken on as a composer for a jam, most often the game developers will communicate with you through Discord. Once you get into those Discord communities, those connections will lead you to other people and communities on Discord. But I agree, it is a bit hard to make your way through it.

There are also forums like https://gamedev.net (gamedev.net) or GameJobHunter, though my hunch is that Discord is probably better, as chaotic as it may seem sometimes. The forums tend to be flooded with composers looking for gigs.

I don't have a huge number of game credits, but here are ways I've found paid work in games:
  • responding to an open call for submissions for a game at a conference for audio professionals
  • LinkedIn job posting
  • cold contacting a video game developer
  • applying for a job posted on a forum
Game jams are generally not paid, but I find them a quick way to start bulking up my portfolio and of course, to make connections. I also like them because they allow me to find out what game developers really want in terms of music, so I have a better idea of what is marketable.

It's quite rare for a paid composer job to be posted anywhere - on LinkedIn, forums or otherwise. The people who hire composers tend to use their own networks and word-of-mouth, which is why it's so important to network. Not that I'm very good at that...

Oh, and just an FYI for VI-Cers who may not have experience in game jams: I always make sure that I have a signed contract with the game developer, which gives me complete ownership of the music and them a (non-exclusive) license to use it. Yes, I have this even if no money is changing hands. It's important. Language that is too severe or formal or legal sounding (like "contract") might scare them away. So I'll say something like, "I came up with a short deal memo so that you're able to use my work without running into any licensing issues. Would you mind giving it a look and letting me know if it looks ok to you?" That seems to work.
You are a saint! The whole culture around game development is vastly different from the film world, and trying to enter it at all is super intimidating. You've really explained and laid things out clearly and I really appreciate the time you took in writing out your response. I'll start poking around and see what comes up! Thank you!

You are a saint! The whole culture around game development is vastly different from the film world, and trying to enter it at all is super intimidating. You've really explained and laid things out clearly and I really appreciate the time you took in writing out your response. I'll start poking around and see what comes up! Thank you!
You're welcome! Some of these gems of advice came from people who helped me along the way, so I'm happy to pay it forward! The game community is generally friendly and approachable. If you love playing and talking about games, that will certainly smooth the way.

You don't really need to advertise "for free". Truth is that the makers of the projects will decide what they can pay you. I would suggest first trying to find the kinds of projects that you might be suited for. Contact the film/game makers of that project and pitch yourself. If they have money for music, they'll pay. If they don't. They will tell you they don't.

But willing to work for free is not a selling point and kind of misses the first part of the equation, which is convince somebody that you are the right composer for their project. THEN you negotiate. If they have money they WILL pay. If they don't then you decide what it is that you may want in exchange for your services and music. There are so many creative ways to make deals but offering for free straight out of the gate isn't one of them. It just tells peole you think you're worthless.
I agree, and think composers should CHARGE MORE. However.... maybe this is his best strategy and he knows what he is doing... I also scored for free, agreing. BUt did just 1 minute and left the director wanting more, than he started to pay, because no other composer would finish that theme better than myself, since i started it.

Top Bottom