What's new

Composer contract template...

I am looking for a composer contract template. I am creating music for a museum exhibit. Any recommendations?
You may want to check with your PRO as they often have sample contracts for composers that are free to download and use!

Industry standards are likely to be different in different territories. Have you joined your local screen composers guild and asked them?

Simple one page deal memos can be found on the internet but even plain language agreements via email (not verbal agreements!! It has to be clear and in writing) for small jobs can often suffice.

It all depends on what rights they want and what their budget is. For example if the budget is poor then you can license them the music for a fixed term with you retaining copyright in both the music and master recording. If the money is good it would be normal for them to own the master recording. If they want to be able to reuse the music for subsequent exhibitions or for any purpose whatsoever then the fee should be increased to offset at potential loss of future revenue etc. etc. My own personal view is not to agree to a buyout as you will have lost all rights and title to the music and any future income, including public performance royalties. The money would have to be amazing to agree to that. 😎

People often think the fee is in direct proportion to the amount or complexity of music. While there is truth to this it’s more related to the rights the client wants to purchase. Rights are assets just like your computer or guitar are assets, and you wouldn’t give those away for free!

Obviously this advice is very general and your individual circumstances may vary. See a lawyer if in doubt

I am looking for a composer contract template. I am creating music for a museum exhibit. Any recommendations?
Yes -- there's a book that I was still in print last time I checked, called, This business of music by William Krasilovsky et al.

IDK if the appendices still have the model contracts but they used to be helpful.

FWIW, you could try just going for a license agreement -- you retain copyright of the music and the recordings, simply licensing the museum for a specified time to use the music. But that's all up to you and the situation, naturally.

Have a good lawyer do this for you whether you are in doubt, or think you know what's up! Ignore all other recommendations.
I don’t disagree with this statement, however if a job is worth $500 it’s not worth spending $1500 on a lawyer. So seeking recommendations (and widely!) from your peers and industry associations such as guilds and PROs is not a bad idea

I don’t disagree with this statement, however if a job is worth $500 it’s not worth spending $1500 on a lawyer. So seeking recommendations (and widely!) from your peers and industry associations such as guilds and PROs is not a bad idea
It shouldn't cost that much for a lawyer, just find one who specializes in this. Plus, you pay once, and you have a template for future, similar gigs.

May I suggest some books including this first one from 2017:

1618503523747.png 1618503622804.png 1618503654939.png

Also check https://www.amazon.com/Contracts-Artist-Songwriter-Producer-Should/dp/1495076709/ref=sr_1_3?Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=12&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=14&dchild=1&keywords=music+business+contracts&qid=1618503485&s=books&sr=1-3&unfiltered=1 (these books).

Disclaimer: I don't use any of them, being outside of US.

Top Bottom