What's new

Clicks/Audio glitches

If you have VEP7, try loading Falcon in there and connect to it from your DAW.

When I did this, I solved the CPU problem on my computer; and that's with having VEP7 on the same computer.
This is very weird.

@New_Loops @Bee_Abney what DAW are you using?

I think Falcon can run stand alone. Have you tried that and seen any difference in CPU usage?

Just as a follow-up to this. I just made a patch using a single string sample, IRCAM Stretch Complex. Zero problems playing it directly at all. So, I tried the glass bowl in IRCAM Stretch Complex instead of High Quality. Same issues - playable, but with a tendency for the sound to crack up with too many notes ringing at once. The same string sample with IRCAM Stretch High Quality was still great - virtually no problems, especially after each note has already been played. I could press down around twenty keys and no cracking/glitching.

High Quality has a fuller, more processed sheen and comes out louder with the same gain settings compared to Complex.

You've probably found it already, but you can bounce from the menu in IRCAM Stretch:
1636868309596.png
That option is only available if you don't have multiple samples loaded (Where it shows as 'Batch' rather than showing the sample wave itself). Which is why I didn't see it when I looked for it originally. Also, when it is available, it only exported the root note. Which is to say that it exports the original sample, at the original pitch, albeit perhaps with the 'shine' of IRCAM stretch. You would be exporting from the start and end ranges that you have set and any effects that you have applied directly to the sample inside the Oscillator (to that, you right click on the sample itself inside the oscillator and the 'Apply FX' option is on the menu that is revealed).

So, it does not provide a batch export for the keyrange.

Sorry, you probably knew all of that. I just got a little hopeful there for a bit as exporting the full keyrange with stretch applied is surely exactly what anyone would want from such an export. Still, getting samples that have been edited and had effects added is not a minor thing. Falcon isn't the best sample editor - it's not as good as my DAW - but it does have nice effects, that I now know can not only be applied on a per sample basis, but can also be directly exported on a per sample basis. Just, sadly, pitch stretching isn't an effect for these purposes.

I hadn't actually tried it - Was only expecting it to export the current oscillator, not all oscillators in the keygroup. But didn't expect it to apply FX, that's really powerful - have to remember that.

It's strange, but I've searched the interweb and there just isn't anywhere that people are converging and discussing Falcon like this... even Falcontinuum is a dead wasteland these days. Really surprising.
That is odd and it's a real shame.

When you have multiple samples on a single layer, does that count as multiple oscillators? I'm still trying to get to grips with the terminology, since strictly speaking a sample isn't an oscillator and nor is a sampler module. But the module is definitely called an oscillator in Falconspeak.

I really appreciate you sharing what you found as it led me to discover this great way of adding effects to samples. It's useful independently of exporting.

Also, it's worth mentioning on the glitch, crack and click front that using the transient editor in the oscillator, or any of the other options, increases the burden. The editor is 'Remix' and that is disengaged by default. But in the 'Options' section 'Transients' is engaged by default. This emphasises the attack and is particularly useful for percussion, but I think that it is also adding to the CPU load and it can be disengaged.

It is also always worth rechecking sample starts and ends to ensure that there isn't an additional clicking coming from an ideal start or end point. Either start and end in silence or adjust the ADSR (DAHDSR in Falcon) - a slower attack faster decay as needed to avoid the clicky start or end point. This is unrelated, but the click did have me wondering at first if there was glitching when I loaded a recent sample, but it was just a noisy end to the sample.

Yep, each sample is an oscillator in falcon speak. So when you're in batch mode you're editing all the oscillators at the same time for either the keygroup or layer or whole program depending on where you've selected in the tree. Can be handy, for instance sometimes I do the trick of pushing the master tune on falcon up two or three semitones, and then batch edit all oscillators to be the same lower. This has the side effect of making most samples sound better, depending on the content of the sample.
Very nice. I'll have to try that!

Of course, what Pier and I wanted was to export multiple processed files (stretched) from one sample/oscillator. So, for now, it is back to recording every key, bouncing and slicing.

Top Bottom