What's new

Clicks/Audio glitches

New_Loops

newloops.com
Hey guys. I know there are a lot of things that can make audio problems, things like CPU, buffer size, latency etc.. I often push my PC to the limits so know what is normal.

So now I've said that. Why am I getting mad glitches from the IRCAM stretch engine with just a single sample playing one or 2 notes. CPU in Falcon reads around 10%, but it's actually only about 1 or 2 percent of my computer.

It seems to be there is some issue with this engine as I can play big chords with the granular engines with 2 reverbs, 3 filters, drive, echos ect... But glitches with 1 note of IRCAM Stretch?!

Anyone else get this?

I don’t. Maybe it’s your PC’s specs?
Oh come on mate, I thought my caveat was clear. ;) It's not normal for my PC, no other synth does this with way higher CPU use.

My specs: windows 10 x64, Intel Core i7 (12 cores), 16 GB RAM. Reaper (latest), Falcon (Latest). Audio buffer 1024.

How many voices can you play before audio problems with the IRCAM Stretch?

Comparable specs. I can play at least four notes without any glitches, but I typically use the IRCAM stuff for processing audio and then bounce it back to audio in my DAW. That oscillator definitely is not suitable for building ‘playable’ very polyphonic patches, but are there for sound design.

Comparable specs. I can play at least four notes without any glitches, but I typically use the IRCAM stuff for processing audio and then bounce it back to audio in my DAW. That oscillator definitely is not suitable for building ‘playable’ very polyphonic patches, but are there for sound design.
Ok, so I guess it might be something on my setup. It seems strange to not be able to play more than one note, though. I'll have to make this patch monophonic!! lol :)

I've made it monophonic and turned off everything apart from 1 wav in IRCAM stretch. Every time I retrigger it, there are audible glitches. That's basically unusable to me. There must be some setting somewhere causing it.

BTW, are you using the latest version of Falcon? I am also going to try this patch in LIVE now.

THEN THIS HAPPENED! I've switched to normal stretch for this patch and played 21 voices! 21 notes together with not a single glitch! Then I switched back to IRCAM stretch and it let me play 4 or 5 notes together with no problem - that VS the 1 note before. IMO, there is a bug with it. I will have to email UVI.

THEN THIS HAPPENED! I've switched to normal stretch for this patch and played 21 voices! 21 notes together with not a single glitch! Then I switched back to IRCAM stretch and it let me play 4 or 5 notes together with no problem - that VS the 1 note before. IMO, there is a bug with it. I will have to email UVI.
Did you hear back from UVI?

Did you hear back from UVI?
I didn't ask, as I had a ticket open already and didn't want another one. There is a difference between “CPU expensive” and “unusable though”. I don't exactly have a slow computer either, and the fact someone else reported the problem on here makes me think it's not simply "high CPU usage".

I have similar issues with IRCAM Stretch sometimes. Enough to make it unplayable; But I can use it to record each note in turn in order to resample. (PC i5 eight core 32 GB.)

My audio buffer rate is usually 512.

I have similar issues with IRCAM Stretch sometimes. Enough to make it unplayable; But I can use it to record each note in turn in order to resample. (PC i5 eight core 32 GB.)
Does Falcon include an option to do this automatically?

If not, it should, considering that IRCAM stuff is super CPU heavy.

My audio buffer rate is usually 512.
Do a little test with it. When the IRCAM is glitching and maxing out, try swapping to a different sampler mode a couple of times until it “behaves” itself. Would be interested to know if others could replicate this.

Do a little test with it. When the IRCAM is glitching and maxing out, try swapping to a different sampler mode a couple of times until it “behaves” itself. Would be interested to know if others could replicate this.
I'll give it a try.

I have tried. I don't think there was any difference. I do find that after I have played a lot of notes, that then I have less trouble with the audio breaking up. But I have been assuming that that is because the work that IRCAM did has been buffered to some extent. If I play many notes in fast succession, or change chords quickly, it goes back to breaking up again.

I used the same sample in the regular stretch function. It worked perfectly without any trouble. But it also sounded no better than Kontakt's timemachine and timemachine pro. Whereas IRCAM stretch makes the sound better than the original sample. A bit like applying an Zynaptiq's Intensity. I demoed that recently and it uses an AI to analyse the sound and make adjustments that enhance aurally pleasing features of it.

Zynaptiq Intensity is very CPU intensive and the audio can break up sometimes when using it; IRCAM stretch seems to be combining similar processes to that plugin with time stretching. So I'm not surprised that it causes even more issues. In neither case does either my DAW (Studio One 5.4) or my computer register that they are overloaded. Again, that didn't suprise me with IRCAM stretch since it is operating on one core. It only needs to overtax that one core.

I tried a further experiment. The sound I had been using was a sample of a glass bowl resonating after being struck. I switched to a sample of a bowed string (a low tagelharpa string). IRCAM stretch started to break up when I played eight notes in a row as opposed to three or four.

So I would recommend, if you haven't already, trying different kinds of sample. It may just be that certain sounds take a lot more processing.

If your experiencing a worse case than I am despite having a more modern computer (i7 compared to i5) then that would be very odd. Either way, it is worth writing to UVI, as you plan on doing, to see what they have to say.

It would be very nice to have a batch processing feature with IRCAM stretch, to make getting the enhanced and stretched samples out and back in to another 'oscillator' more conveniently.

It would be very nice to have a batch processing feature with IRCAM stretch, to make getting the enhanced and stretched samples out and back in to another 'oscillator' more conveniently.
How do you do it now?

You write the midi notes, bounce the whole audio, then cut it to pieces manually, and finally import each sample again?

How do you do it now?

You write the midi notes, bounce the whole audio, then cut it to pieces manually, and finally import each sample again?
Yes, that's what I do. You needn't do eighty-eight notes, just as many as you feel the sound warrants to sound natural.

If you have VEP7, try loading Falcon in there and connect to it from your DAW.

When I did this, I solved the CPU problem on my computer; and that's with having VEP7 on the same computer.

Top Bottom