What's new

Can purchase Dorico 2 for $195 - worth it?

I took the plunge as well; been holding out for a while, however at this price it's a no-brainer!

The above list are some of the missing things that caused me to say no to Dorico. Perhaps the Dorico team has now added these and other features that a pro level notation program should have?
No.
https://download.steinberg.net/webcontent/products/dorico/Dorico_21_Detailed_Feature_List.pdf

Dorico 2.2 is very powerful. Their YouTube channel has some great learning tools plus of course the manual. On top of that, their forum is great for getting answers to those questions you just can't figure out yourself.
Yes, do checkout the Youtube.
Most of my initial questions had a really simple answer and I got them all from the Dorico youtube feed.

Best,
Anders

@Paul T McGraw, I'm not the biggest expert of Dorico yet, but I'll try to answer for what I know. As of Dorico 2.2:

- You can have multiple voices on the same staff.

- You can add chord names, and there is a chord track to play them back.

- Figured bass is not yet natively implemented, but there is a user-made workaround.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=120821&start=100

- All dynamics, including hairpins, can be linked between staves, and can be read by NotePerformer.

- Repeats with first and second endings, D.C. al fine are there, and should be played back (not tried to see if it works).

- Dorico starts from che concept of Player, and not of Staff or Instrument. So, you can have a Player switching to a different Instrument on his own staff.

Paolo

how's the switch from Finale? And does anyone know if you can import MusicXML files?

Finale is just a drag but I've been on it so long it's daunting to face a switch.

PS -- I never use Finale for playback except the basic piano sound to check pitches. Consequently, those improvements, while nifty, are not that interesting to me.

how's the switch from Finale? And does anyone know if you can import MusicXML files?

Finale is just a drag but I've been on it so long it's daunting to face a switch.

PS -- I never use Finale for playback except the basic piano sound to check pitches. Consequently, those improvements, while nifty, are not that interesting to me.
MusicXML works like a charm.
Can’t say about finale.
Best,
/A

Library is pretty large -- do you really need that (hoping "no")?
I don't need it and deleted it. Shame you can't remove the many expression maps from the Play list.

I would suggest to get NotePerformer, if you don't already have it. There are also expression maps available for various libraries, to be imported as Cubase maps.

Paolo

NotePerformer

thanks Paolo; I don't use Cubase -- does that matter?

And does anyone know if you need the "Doric 2.2 Playback 1 -- HALion Sonic SE 3" file to make the program work? It's almost 3 GB.

Thank you everyone.

I don't use Cubase -- does that matter?
Sorry, I was a bit short in answering. Cubase expression maps are the only ones available from Steinberg at the moment. They can be imported, and then edited in Dorico. You need them to drive various sound libraries. You can find them by searching for 'Steinberg expression maps'.

NotePerformer is a separate sound library, not tied to Cubase. It works in a very interesting way with Dorico, and you can find some discussions about it in this same forum.

Paolo

thanks Paolo; I don't use Cubase -- does that matter?

And does anyone know if you need the "Doric 2.2 Playback 1 -- HALion Sonic SE 3" file to make the program work? It's almost 3 GB.

Thank you everyone.
You don’t need to install the Halion library to use NotePerformer! And the same goes for the Sibelius Sounds library.

NotePerformer only relies on its own, fully-integrated, sounds.

..........Yes, Elements has same Midi live recording like Pro. but while testing I found that there is a very small amount of vst instruments supported.
I found I had to “whitelist” the vstis in order to see them

I also updated from v1 to v2 now for a reduced Price. Hope I'll find somewhen the rest to work with it.

You don’t need to install the Halion library to use NotePerformer! And the same goes for the Sibelius Sounds library.

NotePerformer only relies on its own, fully-integrated, sounds.

I'm not going to get NotePerformer. I mean Dorico 2.2 -- I just want to replace Finale.

I'm not going to get NotePerformer. I mean Dorico 2.2 -- I just want to replace Finale.
Right! You can probably use Dorico without neither Halion or NP, if you’re fine with working without playback, or have your own solution to it.

For quick mockups from notation software, NotePerformer is a great deal. You can use it with Sib, Finale, or Dorico to get a decent idea of what the score will sound like without all the fuss of dealing with CC's/automation etc.

@JohnG The move from Finale should go smoothly. Dorico is already so much more powerful than Finale that I don't see even how Finale will be able to stay in business. There's quite a bit to learn' but even after a couple a days you should be operational. Coming from Sibelius is probably a bit quicker.

IMO NotePerformer 3 is worth having, even just for last-thing listens to check for mistaken notes, tempi, etc.

FWIW, I just got through doing a project involving 40 cue's for large orchestra (about 63 minutes or music), that was done in a single Dorico file. Some players had 2 instruments. Dorico seems to know how to solve all the problems. I know we all have different ways of working, but personally I'd never commit to the score and parts being done without a few close listens to the playback.

Last edited:
Right! You can probably use Dorico without neither Halion or NP, if you’re fine with working without playback, or have your own solution to it.

Before stuff gets approved I (nearly always) have to mock it all up in DP anyway. So it's already been checked. I rarely change the orchestration from the mockup, though sometimes I do. That's why I'm not interested in yet another library @joebaggan -- I already have a zillion.

I assume Dorico can at least play back some sounds if you connect the midi up, or it has built-in piano or something like that?

Either way it sounds great. Thanks @jamwerks and everyone.

Top Bottom