What's new

Buying cheaper libraries vs saving for more expensive ones

Hi everyone, I made my first post asking for help with my first library purchase last year but can't seem to login, so I'll have to use this account for now! Thanks to everyone who helped out back then. I decided to buy Jaeger in the end and have had an absolute blast using it and learning to compose. Since then I've bought BBC core and some choir libraries, so I feel like I've got a good base now to build on.

I've decided the next big library I want is Era 2, but I've also been looking at getting a dedicated percussion library. I've seen a lot of people recommending damage 2 as a good percussion library. However as a student who's not studying music, I can't really justify the price at the moment, especially as I'm hoping Era 2 will go on sale soon. I've saved up some money for Black Friday and saw that Apocalypse percussion elements is on sale now for roughly £50. I know that in the world of vsti libraries this is relatively cheap (which is a bit intimidating!).

My question is would getting damage 2 in a year or two make Apocalypse elements obsolete? And in general is it a better practice to save up and buy more expensive libraries less often (like with buying instruments) or can cheaper libraries still usually offer some variety down the line? Cheers
Another vote for yes...

I own both, and while APE isn't bad, what APE isn't is a well rounded percussion library that covers some traditional percussion in addition to the cinematic... (And that's excluding what you can actually do with D2's engine).

Damage 2 comes with taikos, gongs, gran casa, surdos, dhols, dunduns, cymbals, /broken/found/foley percussions, etc - and that doesn't cover everything... It also of course comes with tons of designed drums, hits, and sfx...

But to really ice the cake there isn't anything else like D2's roll feature, at least not that I'm aware of. It can also be used for more than just rolls...

You can create accented and syncopated rhythms that function sort of like a loop, but without having to resort to actual loops... It's kind of like the convenience of the loop without being locked to the linearity and sonic fingerprint of a loop... You have control over the number of repetitions, accents, and everything can be tuned uniquely. Basically D2 not only replaces APE, it's like comparing a single planet to a solar system...

In terms of buying inexpensive libraries as 'placeholders' for something more robust you might buy later - someone recently-(ish) made statement that I think is a great way to look at your dilemma:

Assuming you were to eventually buy D2 and found D2 essentially replaced the lesser libraries you bought as placeholders, you've essentially 'paid for the original library twice'...

Not literally obviously, but it's a good way to perceive your relationship to the cost...

And if by any chance you have Komplete and have Damage 1, don't forget you get an additional $100 off...

Last edited:
There’s a saying: “I’m not rich enough to buy cheap”.
It's a good saying.

There are some good free libraries -- the LABS from Spitfire Audio come to mind. But frittering money away on stuff you don't really like is a mistake. Same with speakers, headphones -- all of it.

Save and buy what you love and then you can make music with it for years.

[note: I have received free products from Spitfire]

In terms of buying inexpensive libraries as 'placeholders' for something more robust you might buy later - someone recently-(ish) made statement that I think is a great way to look at your dilemma:

Assuming you were to eventually buy D2 and found D2 essentially replaced the lesser libraries you bought as placeholders, you've essentially 'paid for the original library twice'...
Thanks for the detailed answer! Yeah this is what I was worried about, think I'm set on waiting to be able to get damage 2 now. I agree that it's the flexibility of it that looks so appealing.

There are some good free libraries -- the LABS from Spitfire Audio come to mind. But frittering money away on stuff you don't really like is a mistake. Same with speakers, headphones -- all of it.

Save and buy what you love and then you can make music with it for years.
Thanks John, I think that's exactly the advice I was looking for. So far I've only bought things I knew I'd love and have yet to be disappointed, so I think I'll skip the deals this year however tempting they seem!

Also I agree LABS is excellent and I still use some instruments from it. I used to make everything using that and BBC discover which I can highly recommend to anyone looking for good free libraries!

I find that in our world good has nothing to do with price. There's some Good free libraries and there are some crap really expensive ones.

Find the one that you like and get that. If it takes a while then no problems. There are plenty of free libraries that are good percussion libraries that could fill in for a while until you get Damage 2 or Hammers.

Last edited:
If find that in our world good has nothing to do with price. There's some Good free libraries and there are some crap really expensive ones.

Find the one that you like and get that. If it takes a while then no problems. There are plenty of free libraries that are good percussion libraries that could fill in for a while until you get Damage 2 or Hammers.
Came here to say the exact same thing. The juxtaposition cheap versus expensive is understandable but has remarkably little to do with quality and usability.

Can't stress enough how much I regret spending money as a student buying all the crazy deals for "just okay at best" libraries and being disappointed with them, instead of saving up a bit more on the stuff that I actually use now on every project. But that's just how it is when you're new to the sample library market, don't know much about what's good and what's not so you're a bit more naive when it comes to getting hooked by a sale.

And I 100% agree with José about the price. Some of my biggest library purchase regrets are actually quite expensive

I guess I'm still not used to the fact that some libraries only go on sale once or twice a year, so I'm sure FOMO plays a part in it. But I appreciate all the advice, I think I'll stick to only buying ones I know I'll love, even if I have to wait a year or two.

I find that in our world good has nothing to do with price. There's some Good free libraries and there are some crap really expensive ones.

This is the answer. I asked the same question last year when I was looking for a string library I could afford. The overwhelming answer was "don't, they all suck".

I didn't listen and went for 8Dio Anthology with the crossgrades etc for $80 or so.

I haven't regretted it a single moment. That's one absolutely fantastic set of libraries. Now I've bought Century Strings and Century Brass + Claire winds for under $300. These are utterly Brilliant. Palette + Melodics for 300? Haven't regretted that library a second.

I don't want Afflatus. I don't want LASS. I don't care for perfect realism, I care for a certain sound.

What do you care about?

Also as a sidenote my first string library was the uber cheap Aria strings and it's the worst thing since molded bread so I guess some cheap shit is actually shit but in the end Your Mileage May Vary but for the love of whatever god is listening never buy Aria ok thanks.

Edit: Also Damage 1 is just as good as Damage 2 and included in Komplete but don't tell anyone I said that or they'll skin me alive.

Last edited:
In my opinion it is best to save up for the libraries you want, but sometimes you find gems at a low price. I got APE elements and used it a bit, I like the midi loops that can be used for inspiration. However you should check out Red Room Saga as an alternative to APE elements. On sale now too for 79 usd. It replaced APE for me https://redroomaudio.com/product/saga-acoustic-trailer-percussion/
Interesting, I have both but I never really got along with Saga ...

Interesting, I have both but I never really got along with Saga ...
I feel it blends easier with my Spitfire libraries and works better out of the box. APE I feel is very boomy and EQ is needed to tame that, but it is a good library no doubt for the price.

I feel it blends easier with my Spitfire libraries and works better out of the box. APE I feel is very boomy and EQ is needed to tame that, but it is a good library no doubt for the price.
Again, very interesting. I never really managed to blend Saga with my other libraries (mostly Spitfire) but had no troubles with APE. Also, I have the feeling that Saga is missing like a top velocity layer - just not enough punch for my taste.

What effects etc. do you apply to it, if I may ask?

Any suggestions besides Ferrum free? (which I'm not even sure is exactly the same but probably related)
Check out LABS from Spitfire and also Sine Factory from OT. Also there's a few others like the ones listed below.

Last edited:
IMHO, one of the best combos for percussion are EastWest Symphonic Orchestra, and EastWest Stormdrum 1, 2 & 3. Older, but still kick a$$, and relatively inexpensive. Even better if you get an educational CC subscription.

When it comes to researching more expensive libraries, I tend to use the divide and conquer method and divide it into smaller segments, then ask how much would I approximate using each segment? But "Buy what you like" is probably the best advice.

If nothing else, getting cheaper libraries at the beginning may serve as stepping stones to gaining the experience needed in making better buying decisions later on.

Top Bottom