What's new

Buy/Sell forum. Annoyance / request

doctoremmet

I am not sure if this is addressed in the marketplace forum rules or not. But if you’d go there now, this is what it looks like:

0C8C0F51-1D28-4EB9-8B01-97777FA325FF.jpeg
There is a good reason for restricting the “bump frequency” of a post, but shouldn’t there be rules pertaining to consolidating FS items in one or maybe max. three posts. Someone posting each single item in a separate post like this means all other posters’ items likely won’t be visible for a long time. Apparently the poster of these ads is aware of this but mentions it is not against the rules, which annoys me because it means he or she just lacks a sense of common decency.

/rant

@creativeforge @Mike Greene

I am not sure if this is addressed in the marketplace forum rules or not. But if you’d go there now, this is what it looks like:

0C8C0F51-1D28-4EB9-8B01-97777FA325FF.jpeg
There is a good reason for restricting the “bump frequency” of a post, but shouldn’t there be rules pertaining to consolidating FS items in one or maybe max. three posts. Someone posting each single item in a separate post like this means all other posters’ items likely won’t be visible for a long time. Apparently the poster of these ads is aware of this but mentions it is not against the rules, which annoys me because it means he or she just lacks a sense of common decency.

/rant

@creativeforge @Mike Greene
I totally agree. And there should probably be a rule to avoid this kind of hoarding of the FS real estate. Makes common sense.

And if he understands why it could be an issue, I would hope he corrects it. Loads of people have done what you suggest.

I will however let Mike make the decision on how he wants to proceed about this. I simply shared the rule that could apply in his case, on his thread.

Thanks for flagging this, another way musicians help musicians. :)

Peace.

André
ViC Tech support

Last edited:
And if she understands why it is an issue, I would hope she corrects it. Loads of people are done what you suggest.
Thanks André. Another forum member requested the OP to consolidate and it looks like that won’t happen unless there are rules ;)

9E1F0076-A019-4654-A201-9EEEC287FB06.jpeg

Edit: for clarity, I did not post anything in the original thread myself - as some people seem to think. I just happened to notice this, could see the POV of the person who did comment and came here to ask my question in the first post. As some people have made clear, I should not have included the screenshots, as this can be perceived as me personally attacking the forum member - which clearly was never my intention. I apologize for my original post. Next time I’ll use a DM, if I choose to even bother again at all.

Last edited:
One thing to consider also, is the BUMP rule, which is 14 days. A lot of content could be added in 14 days, disrupting the initial look line-up of his post.

I wrote a note to him and hopefully it will be well received.

W5xZnJF.png

With all the credit card fraud issues that we've seen in the past, is it even a good idea to let people that just registered to sell stuff use that subforum at all? I'd never buy from someone who has no regular community activity to speak of here.
Very good point Martin, but also a really hard one to police. I am saying this as a “victim” of a scam perpetrated on this very forum haha (luckily after months PayPal did eventually refund me and many others). So as a general rule it is VERY important to at least reiterate the importance of always “doing business” with people you know or at least have interacted with in the regular threads OR the ones with a lot of positive buyers’ feedback. Which isn’t always clear for newcomers of course, in which case “online transactions” are always a bad idea. I have had this discussion with Mike a year ago and he convinced me it is hardly doable for him and the admins to constantly check whether or not a seller is “legit” and of course false accusations are also a thing we need to avoid.

While I tend to agree with every comment done by doctoremmet, I am not sure about this subject. In this forum (and also in KVR) listing a few (or many) items per thread is standard. I personally do not like it at all because I need to open EVERY thread to look for the item name and the price. It takes time to find a bargain... so I end up NOT using the advertising section. If I would like to find how many people are selling their Arturia V collection in V7 below xx €, I need to use the search function and then enter most of the threads. The exceptions are the threads that contain THIS single item, so they have the short description and price in the title, so they appear in the search results.

In many other forums where they do not follow this practice it is times easier to find if there is something I am interested. I am not 100% sure now, but I think multiple listings in a single threads are banned in some forums I visit on a regular basis (where music gear, virtual or not is advertised).

On the other hand the usual way here (and also in KVR) is easier for the author of the ads... but in my opinion as a seller, it is less effective, just because it is more complicated for the potential buyer.

Fair point of course. I guess if you’re actively searching one specific item this forum will not be the most effective or you have to “put in the work” and browse a little. Good luck searching the KVR forum and not get stuck in the “bargains discussions thread” though haha (been there).

My 2 cents: if you want the benefits of a TRUE buy and sell platform, there is KnobCloud. If sellers want extra perks, maybe they should pay for the privilege? VI-C is very much based on “musicians helping musicians” and I experience that vibe on a daily basis. The Buy/Sell forum is a nice extra, for active members first and foremost. It doesn’t claim to be the ultimate online selling tool nor should it aim to become that. Imho.

I liked the Mark Schmieder posts from a year ago for instance: he sold a lot of his unused stuff and that was a typical example of a member actually contributing to the discourse on here, using the particular forum for what it was originally meant to be (again, according to me haha).

Anyway, I do hear you and I see your point from a pragmatic POV. Much of my annoyance was triggered by me spotting some “entitlement” in the OP’s remarks, so I figured I’d simply ask…

Last edited:
After participating I re-read carefully all the thread. I now get the flip side. So now I share it could be a good idea to limit the number of threads. Your original proposal (3) might be a good balance.

I just say sometimes I spare (or perhaps waste) time reading ALL the ads, and most times I quickly browse those with a good description and a price in the title. The exception the large thread by leo007 :).

I believe on KVR you can only create 1 thread on the buy and sell and joy have to close that thread before you can create another one. I could be wrong but I have seen this mentioned before (I've not tried to sell anything on KVR)
Makes sense, I noticed that ads looked different from other forums (talkbass.com, bajistas.org, hispasonic.com...) but I did not know why. I may have broken this rule once or twice in KVR (but not on purpose and only a couple of simulateneous ads).

With all the credit card fraud issues that we've seen in the past, is it even a good idea to let people that just registered to sell stuff use that subforum at all? I'd never buy from someone who has no regular community activity to speak of here.
Agreed +1
I will suggest a minimum of 100 posts and at least 30 or 60 days being a registered VI-C member.
I also agree a member should not be able to have more than one sale thread at a time.

One could argue that a bit of common sense is the best protection against scammers though.
Very true. I thought I had enough of that, yet got scammed buying an unregistered Chris Hein license off of someone for a very proper price (none of that “too good to be true” logic applies), only to have it removed from my Best Service account months later. Bought from someone who had also made a decent amount of “regular contributions” on VI-C, and who hadn’t just joined. Anyway… the license was apparently purchased with a stolen credit card… so maybe add “never buy an unregistered license” to your list of online transaction rules ;)

Just saying; yes - common sense IS important but even people who do their due diligence investigations, sometimes fall prey to these scammers… and Mike C.S. cannot be expected to police that or prevent it.

I just blocked them and also LoveEnigma who has multiple listings and repeatedly bumps them too frequently.

You can search just by the listing titles which helps to narrow it down sometimes.
pleasure to see united afford we all put together 💪

I would like to add my few cents about LoveEnigma in general,
he is very good and decent person who is also active and value member in our community.
I would speak with him personally on the subject of bumping ;)

Top Bottom