What's new

Boomy Guitar Recording - Need advice!

CatComposer

View attachment Boomy guitar.mp3
I'm recording my acoustic guitar using a cardiod Condenser microphone MXL770.

I have reduced the boominess of the low E string considerably by moving further away from the mic and directing the guitar
at a different angle.
I watched a video explaining the correct positioning for recording acoustic guitar.
They recommended the mic being 18 inches from the 12th fret at 90 degrees.

However, as you can hear, the boominess is still noticeable.
By moving further away than 18 inches, the rest of the guitar is going to become too quiet.

The boominess seems to be coming from the guitar itself, and not from room reflections (but I could be wrong).
My room is not sound treated in any way.

Apart from using EQ to reduce that particular frequency, I don't have any other solutions in mind.

So what can you guys recommend?

Recording acoustic guitars often requires trying out various mic positions before you're able to zero in on a good recorded sound. Each guitar is slightly different, and the way they're played varies the tone.

Also, depending on the size and configuration of your room, it could easily be a room resonance or standing wave buildup that's causing the boominess.

So try moving to a different place in your room. BTW, acoustic guitars do well in rooms with hard surfaces with lots of bright reflections. In a carpeted room, laying down a big piece of plywood on the floor can brighten up the guitar a bit.

Also try moving the mic further up the fretboard a bit, like to the 10th fret. I believe that mic has a low end rolloff switch - if so, try engaging it.

If after trying different positions and placements you still can't get a decent sound, then EQ is your best friend.

Apart from using EQ to reduce that particular frequency, I don't have any other solutions in mind.

So what can you guys recommend?

Did you try dynamic EQ or multiband compression in that frequency range? It's super common to use one of the two on distorted electric guitars because the palm mutes tend to be boomy.

Did you try dynamic EQ or multiband compression in that frequency range? It's super common to use one of the two on distorted electric guitars because the palm mutes tend to be boomy.
I'd rather find ways that don't involve EQ.
Fortunately repositioning has done the trick!

Recording acoustic guitars often requires trying out various mic positions before you're able to zero in on a good recorded sound. Each guitar is slightly different, and the way they're played varies the tone.

Also, depending on the size and configuration of your room, it could easily be a room resonance or standing wave buildup that's causing the boominess.

So try moving to a different place in your room. BTW, acoustic guitars do well in rooms with hard surfaces with lots of bright reflections. In a carpeted room, laying down a big piece of plywood on the floor can brighten up the guitar a bit.

Also try moving the mic further up the fretboard a bit, like to the 10th fret. I believe that mic has a low end rolloff switch - if so, try engaging it.

If after trying different positions and placements you still can't get a decent sound, then EQ is your best friend.
Yes, I turned on the rolloff switch and I think it may have helped.

Your advice to more further up the fretboard was excellent.
I tried around the 6th fret and a bit closer to the mike and it sounds great.

You're probably a bit too close with your microphone.
Cardioid microphones have a more or less large "proximity effect".
This means that the closer you are to the microphone, the more the low tones are emphasised.
So try a distance of 50 to 75 cm. Then the boomy effect should be gone. You can also change the sound by positioning the microphone away from "the hole" more towards the fretboard.
Try out several positions...

Also:
Please remember that many acoustic instruments only develop their sound after a certain distance.
If the room becomes too large or distracting, you should look for a room that is more suitable. Only if there is no other way, I would use a very close mik position and then EQs to make corrections (that could actually be bypassed).

Good luck
Beat

How new are those strings? In my experience with acoustic guitars, the nice crisp bass sounds tend to go pretty fast after a new set wears out. I was just trying to EQ my year-old strings to sound fresher, but couldn't quite get it there. It just has that "plunky" dead sound Lol.

Last edited:
Good question.
They would be more than a year old, but still feel newish, as I only play 10-20 mins a day, and have a light touch.
I prefer gentle fingerpicking.
I can't remember the last time I broke a string!

Good question.
They would be more than a year old, but still feel newish, as I only play 10-20 mins a day, and have a light touch.
I prefer gentle fingerpicking.
I can't remember the last time I broke a string!
Yeah they die off even with no playing (not as quickly though). Just something about the aging. One solution is a walk-in music store where you can buy single strings and just replace the bottom two or three.

Yeah they die off even with no playing (not as quickly though). Just something about the aging. One solution is a walk-in music store where you can buy single strings and just replace the bottom two or three.
How often do you suggest replacing strings?

I used to put on a new set before any recording session. Now I don't play as much so I leave them on for a year or more. Some people recommend 3 or 4 times a year. I'd say once a year though would be a good way to keep them from getting really mushy.

It depends on where you live. I mostly play electric, but I've found that when living somewhere humid, like Florida, I replaced them every 3-6 months and when I lived in California, Arizona, and Utah it was about once a year.

When I used to play out a lot, I would change strings before every gig. For recording, it's more a matter of what kind of sound I want. For bright and jangly, definitely new strings. For a more neutral tone, moderately worn strings are fine.

I also keep a guitar around with strings that are more than 10 years old! I record with it when I want a really thick chunky dull tone.

If you don't feel like going thru the trouble of changing strings, there are string reconditioners you can apply to old strings to lubricate and brighten them up. My favorite is Fast-Fret, but there are many others out there.

When I used to play out a lot, I would change strings before every gig. For recording, it's more a matter of what kind of sound I want. For bright and jangly, definitely new strings. For a more neutral tone, moderately worn strings are fine.

I also keep a guitar around with strings that are more than 10 years old! I record with it when I want a really thick chunky dull tone.

If you don't feel like going thru the trouble of changing strings, there are string reconditioners you can apply to old strings to lubricate and brighten them up. My favorite is Fast-Fret, but there are many others out there.

I've got fairly oily skin so used to replace my strings every week. But now there are a few brands of coated strings that are a good compromise. You miss a touch of that zing but otherwise the sound stays consistent for much longer.

Top Bottom