What's new

Best jazz drums and saxes?

Wow, I've got to say I am seriously impressed with the SWAM sax stuff. I had checked out their solo violin stuff and didn't love anything I heard in particular, but the saxophones are that perfect mix of realistic enough, but trading a bit of realism for pure expressiveness, which is obviously huge in jazz.

You could get a sax library that has been DEEP sampled, with gigabytes and gigabytes of articulations, but the fact that the SWAM stuff is like 200mb with the same expressiveness is insane. Does AudioModeling ever do sales?

I thought their legato (and tone) was just kind of OK, and of course it varies depending on what and how you're playing. Also it had this odd aftertouch kind of effect if you held a note down too long that would be a deal-killer for me, but maybe there's something there I'm not understanding, I didn't have hours and hours to mess with it.

Thanks for that CH demo. Sounds good overall IMO, although I noticed a slight little "pop" at the end of some notes that sounded unnatural to me.

Still shopping saxes but appreciate all this info!
It is very inexpensive, fun and has a lot of character. But it is a bit of a "one trick pony." I agree that It isn't too realistic.

If you've got good keyboard chops and a good wind controller (I like the Hornberg wind controller), the SWAM instruments are pretty great. You can really play and phrase them in ways that you can't play samples. If you know what you're listening for, sampled sax sticks out like a sore thumb. ;)

Looking forward to hearing what people suggest. That sounds great. I’ve never heard it before. I’d also like a good recommendation for those horns. Sounds awesome.
Same. I'd also be curious to know what horns those are. I hear something that sounds like a bassoon or bass sax, and a higher sax, trumpets in and out for sure, but also some other growly, falling... brass? Trombones, maybe? And/or saxes? My untutored ears refuse to say for sure! But this is very, very cool.

Looking forward to hearing what people suggest. That sounds great. I’ve never heard it before. I’d also like a good recommendation for those horns. Sounds awesome.
Same. I'd also be curious to know what horns those are. I hear something that sounds like a bassoon or bass sax, and a higher sax, trumpets in and out for sure, but also some other growly, falling... brass? Trombones, maybe? And/or saxes? My untutored ears refuse to say for sure! But this is very, very cool.

Those horns are nice. I'm wondering if Glory Days by OT might do a job there. Just sifting through their Baritone Sax Sforzando patches and it comes close tone wise although doesn't go as low. A bit thin as well but could run them through something like Kush's Reddi and then drench them in reverb like that track! Love the verb on that track it suits the mood perfectly.

Those horns are nice. I'm wondering if Glory Days by OT might do a job there. Just sifting through their Baritone Sax Sforzando patches and it comes close tone wise although doesn't go as low. A bit thin as well but could run them through something like Kush's Reddi and then drench them in reverb like that track! Love the verb on that track it suits the mood perfectly.
That’s a library I’ve always been interested in, along with Mojo 2.

I’ve been listening to the rest of that soundtrack today and I have to say it sort of helped nudge me to pick up LCO strings and Alternative Solo Strings during the current Spitfire sale. Really, really cool soundtrack, lots of ideas to draw upon, but I like the track you linked to originally the best.

Do you own Fluffy Audio’s Spaghetti Western?

PS: down the rabbit hole on that soundtrack. Woody’s studio is sick. Love the tones he’s getting with the Buchla. That reverb.

Last edited:
Guys can any of you suggest a drum kit to get in this ballpark? Starts at 27m

Not sure if you have Fluffy Audio’s Spaghetti Western, but I pulled up the drum kit in there tonight and to my ears it’s pretty darn close to that track. You have to mess with the mixer, but it’s definitely got the vibe in my opinion. Really huge kick drum. I hadn’t messed with that kit much, since I mainly use Addictive Drums 2 for all my drums, but I’ll be using it more now.

Also, I discovered that the muted trumpet patch has some pretty growly stuff. I need to explore this whole library more. Haha. I bought it back around Thanksgiving and never really dove deep into it. That Red Dead soundtrack is good inspiration.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have Fluffy Audio’s Spaghetti Western, but I pulled up the drum kit in there tonight and to my ears it’s pretty darn close to that track. You have to mess with the mixer, but it’s definitely got the vibe in my opinion. Really huge kick drum. I hadn’t messed with that kit much, since I mainly use Addictive Drums 2 for all my drums, but I’ll be using it more now.

Also, I discovered that the muted trumpet patch has some pretty growly stuff. I need to explore this whole library more. Haha. I bought it back around Thanksgiving and never really dove deep into it. That Red Dead soundtrack is good inspiration.
Wow excellent find Dimensions, yes i do but like you never properly took a look at it. It actually gets really close. Kick just needs a bit of taming and even the snare has the right thickness. Annd the cymbals pretty much nail it as well. Nice one. Going to have to load that up tonight. That's going to help with the next thing - recreating that Reverb. o_O

Wow excellent find Dimensions, yes i do but like you never properly took a look at it. It actually gets really close. Kick just needs a bit of taming and even the snare has the right thickness. Annd the cymbals pretty much nail it as well. Nice one. Going to have to load that up tonight. That's going to help with the next thing - recreating that Reverb. o_O
Great! Let me know how that goes! I’m hoping to try that drum kit out with my new Spitfire LSO and AltSS purchases this weekend. I have a feeling they will go well together.

I also started going through the Spitfire Studio Orchestra Brass Pro decorative patches last night to see if I could find anything close to those crazy horns, but haven’t had much luck so far (maybe the time machine patches could get crazier?). Gonna dig around a bit through all my other libraries to see what I can find. I seem to remember Big Fish Audio Vintage Horns 2 having some wild stuff in it.

Will,

I have been making a new template of my various VIs, and discovered that the Abbey Road Vintage kits also sound a lot like this. They are in Komplete Ultimate if you own it. They actually sound quite good. Worth a look for this vibe.

Top Bottom