What's new

Best headphones for writing/mixing?

AKG K240s - which are very good all-purpose studio headphones (the SM57 of headphones) - are cheap, like $65. I had no idea - I figured they were a lot more.

Sennheiser HD800S. I've been through Beyers, AKG, Sony, etc. Nothing tops the Sennheisers, but then again for that price you'd expect so.

I’ve had to recently only work on headphones so i decided an upgrade from Beyer 990s and Audio Technica M50s was due. I’ve just bought a pair of Audeze LCD-X headphones. They are incredible. In a different universe. Check them out! 🙂

Price is in a different universe as well .........:eek:

Sennheiser HD800S...Love them!!! Sound amazing and i can wear them all day. Super comfortable. Worth the mountain of pennies they cost me. ;)

I probably will not replace my JBL4328p/4312 series studio monitors/subs anytime in the near future, because I can use these and not worry about how great my control room is treated. I still made it as good as I can with GIK panels, etc...but it isnt large enough 13x18 with 8' ceiling. Not ideal.

I also use Waves NX 10.0.0, without the head tracking nonsense. This plug does a good job at blending the stereo to a more natural mix position feel.

I drive the HD800s with a Digigrid Q headphone amp. Perfect!

Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro for monitoring during studio tracking

The case is $130. Where have you got $500 from?
My bad I expect. I looked at them, and lusted after them. There were "Standard" and "Creator" versions and the only difference I could see was the inclusion of the case and a $500 price difference. I expect I missed something. I usually do.

AKG K240s - which are very good all-purpose studio headphones (the SM57 of headphones) - are cheap, like $65. I had no idea - I figured they were a lot more.
They sure were more when I purchased them many many years ago ($250??). But I still have 3 pair and they certainly are excellent and 'all purpose'.

Sure, they sound great, but are they good for mixing? Do your mixes with them translate?

I've had mine for a good 25 years. Who knows how much I paid... but I know it was way more than $65.

Are K240 MK II a worthwhile choice or just stay with K40 Studio ? Guess I'm staggered by current $59. Amazon price.
With oldheimer's ears, may not even notice huge change from old Senn HD497(s). Hi freqs really rolling off .... :sad:

Last edited:
AKG701’s here. They are very comfortable, and quite detailed, but not exhausting. I can wear them for hrs without fatique.

Also use the Beyer 770s for tracking. Very good for that purpose, but not exactly a mixing ebud.

Are K240 MK II a worthwhile choice or just stay with K40 Studio ? Guess I'm staggered by current $59. Amazon price.
With oldheimer's ears, may not even notice huge change from old Senn HD497(s). Hi freqs really rolling off .... :sad:

The ones I have are K240 M. I have no idea what the differences are.

Sure, they sound great, but are they good for mixing? Do your mixes with them translate?

If you were replying to my last message then the answer I can give is that I work with a mix engineer and a mastering engineer. Between them they have 16 Grammy Nominations and won 4 out of that. They use the LCD-Xs so I would say the answer to your question is a resounding YES. 🙂

Anyway, each to their own and all this stuff of personal but if you are looking for a pair of headphones for mixing, then try the LCD-Xs out. They are in a different universe to most of the Dogs Brown out there.

Top Bottom