What's new

Best / Good / Ideal MIDI Controller For Orchestral Expression Purposes?

If you do a search, the usual few controllers come up. They are expensive ($700-$1000) and some no longer made. To my knowledge you won't find a "cheap" MIDI controller with 2 or 3 long mm faders for the express purpose of cc controlling. If you do, please share!

Or you can go the route of Naked Boards stuff, but it's a far cry from long mm faders.

Good luck!
Found this a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Usb-and-Din-Midi-Controller-3-Faders-programable-CC-Channel-Range-DAW-SYNTH-V2/224408252949?hash=item343fc63215:g:Q5QAAOSwJqpgHB4b (ebay: 3 fader midi controller)

s-l1600.jpg

Found this a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Usb-and-Din-Midi-Controller-3-Faders-programable-CC-Channel-Range-DAW-SYNTH-V2/224408252949?hash=item343fc63215:g:Q5QAAOSwJqpgHB4b (ebay: 3 fader midi controller)

s-l1600.jpg
Nice for the price, but nothing close to those that have long fader travel which is often a distinct advantage. What you posted is just 70mm. Now if they were twice as long, I might be interested.

I’ve got a Studiologic Mixface and I’m very happy with it.
50mm non motorized faders but plenty of other nice features.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but there is this from a french composer - He just did his second batch and I managed JUST to get one . Will report on it , if not already done once it arrives.

Was featured in a video by Spitfire on ultimate midi controllers.

Custom Midi Controller with LCD

However, I am really excited about these two - Firstly the Monogram Traveller console

Monogram Traveller Console 60mm Fader + Modules

This is in stock for $399 , and you can extend the warranty to 3 years for $59. I am highly tempted, as it seems such a great idea , but I want to see more people using it with PC and Cubase to make sure there is no issues.

Finally, this controller is coming soon after years of being in development - and looks very good too.
However, it is still Preorder, though they do say its coming April/May. Again I would like to see videos and use of it.

Special Waves Mine S Custom Midi Controller

In the meantime I have ordered the basic 70mm 3 fader design from ebay ,here in the UK , so will report back on how good it is to use :)

What do you guys think about these ?

Finally, I would love to see one of these in production, but its just a DIY project on youtube - And I am NO good at that sort of stuff!

Custom Made Fader Board Midi Controller

What do you guys think about these ?
For monogram I don't trust the company. They had another controller (Palette Gear) in the past, very similar. Poorly executed project, eventually abandoned for this one. Whoever got it probably ended up being unusable since the software which is dependent it will eventually become incompatible with OS update (if not already).

The other choices seems interesting to explore.

I currently use an JL Cooper with 100mm and a Nakedboard with 60mm faders.
The Nakedboard is outstanding. Can't say enough how great it is, for $100.

It’s anything but compact, but I really love the Behringer X-Touch Compact as a dedicated CC controller. 9 great-feeling 100mm faders, lots of knobs and buttons, times two layers. Only downside is still no Mac editor, but if you have a PC slave, Bob’s your uncle.

I built a custom console for mine to sit next to my regular X-Touch for automation. Love the whole setup, and since the hardware is made by Midas, it actually feels great!

Attachments

• 39C3A850-7F16-427C-AA94-CC97B2DDABC9.jpeg
    39C3A850-7F16-427C-AA94-CC97B2DDABC9.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 155
  • FABFA824-1C68-4952-ABDE-0A3C4702E0E3.jpeg
    FABFA824-1C68-4952-ABDE-0A3C4702E0E3.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 162
I'm awaiting one of the Nuances controllers from France, with slight trepidation about delivery, only due to the fact that my only previous international order since Brexit completed in January was for some LED Eurorack cables from Switzerland - which apparently arrived in UK customs on 9th April but have not yet made it any further! :mad:

The Nuance looks very nice. Would you mind sharing about it here when you get it? Wouldn't pay that much, but it seems it would look nice on a wooden desk (trying to talk myself into it).

For monogram I don't trust the company. They had another controller (Palette Gear) in the past, very similar. Poorly executed project, eventually abandoned for this one. Whoever got it probably ended up being unusable since the software which is dependent it will eventually become incompatible with OS update (if not already).
Hey Bill, I work with Monogram (formerly Palette). For what it's worth, our team invested (and continues to invest) a good amount of R&D in order to keep supporting Palette Gear. All Palette kits are still receiving software updates today (approx. 6 years after launch) to extend compatibility to macOS 11 and Windows 10.

We've also made the new Monogram hardware backwards-compatible so that folks can upgrade without replacing their whole kit. Adding a Monogram core module improves the MIDI performance of the whole kit dramatically while replacing only one piece, at a fraction of the cost of a full replacement.

Curious to hear where we went wrong on this. Granted some of the execution with Palette wasn't perfect but I personally take a lot of pride in the team I work with and the support we've given over the years. I've personally attended hundreds of video calls with musicians and other creatives to make sure their Palette and Monogram hardware works as promised for them.

Curious to hear where we went wrong on this.
Hey Andy,

First of all thanks for being here. We appreciate having someone from Monogram around!
My apologies if I sounded negative, I am glad you guys take care the software side and is still compatible.

My view is if I had invested $400 or more back in the day for a "modular" system, I expect this system to be supported and I can extend it. Instead it was decommissioned after 4 years for a new "modular" system. I am glad that it's backward compatible and matter a lot, but it will look weird on a desk, and I am not sure how usable it will be to have sliders let's say at different height side by side.

It reminds me the NI Kore story, with all the promises, and the sudden demise.
I understand that evolution in hardware and software needs to happen, and is encouraged, however modular systems need to have some kind of reasonable retention.

Imagine if doepfer was announcing discontinuation of their modular system after 4 years for a newer one, and the impact it will had to the people that invested in a modular without being able to extend it.

Anyhow as said, I am glad that you guys looking after your users, that by itself is saying a lot.

Best,

Last edited:
The Nuance looks very nice. Would you mind sharing about it here when you get it? Wouldn't pay that much, but it seems it would look nice on a wooden desk (trying to talk myself into it).
I received it a few weeks back and it works perfectly, no setup required just does what it says in the tin and does it really well. Looks good and feels good too.

I just picked up this from an independent builder and I can recommend it so far. He has a 5 fader version as well, and he's planning on adding other controllers soon (knobs, buttons) orhe will custom design whatever you request. You can choose your colors and fader caps and you can specify which controller numbers you want each fader to send by default.

Sparrow XL.jpg

https://prosper3dprinting.com/Gallery/
(make sure you order the MIDI controller, not the "Computer Audio Controller")

I'll be putting together a video review at some point too.

I just picked up this from an independent builder and I can recommend it so far. He has a 5 fader version as well, and he's planning on adding other controllers soon (knobs, buttons) orhe will custom design whatever you request. You can choose your colors and fader caps and you can specify which controller numbers you want each fader to send by default.

Sparrow XL.jpg

https://prosper3dprinting.com/Gallery/
(make sure you order the MIDI controller, not the "Computer Audio Controller")

I'll be putting together a video review at some point too.
Nice - I saw that on Etsy a while back and it looked cool. How long are the faders? 100mm?

Nice - I saw that on Etsy a while back and it looked cool. How long are the faders? 100mm?
i haven't taken a ruler to them yet but i am pretty confident these are 60mm which is what i want for midi cc. it's very easy to change by 1 out of 128 values and does not need more travel for me.

i haven't taken a ruler to them yet but i am pretty confident these are 60mm which is what i want for midi cc. it's very easy to change by 1 out of 128 values and does not need more travel for me.
Ah interesting - so like a nanokontrol. Too short for my taste, but glad you like it.

Ah interesting - so like a nanokontrol. Too short for my taste, but glad you like it.
yes these feel great and the throw is just right for me.

when i took it out of the box i couldn't stop moving the faders up and down they felt great lol.

but you could easily order a 100m version, i'm 95% sure he'd price it out for you, after chatting with him a bit on his direction for the business.

in fact i didn't know nanokontrol had 60mm -- they look so small in the photos and looking at the dimensions it's hard to imagine how they fit the fader and rotary encoder in 80cm if the fader throw itself is already 60mm! maybe the fader caps are deceptively small.

I think he is referring to the nanokontrol studio, not the smaller one. In that one the throw is 30 mm. I don't know if the studio is 45 mm or 60 mm.

Top Bottom