What's new

Best DAW - Leaving Ableton Behind

tsk

Hi everyone,

Edit: Ah god, I think I'll withdraw from this thread. Sometimes those moments of frustration with the software can overwhelm a person. But at those times I think I'd be better off without an internet connection hahaha

Last edited:
There must be a million threads like this. The answer is always the same, there is no "best" DAW. There is only the DAW that is best for you. Download all the free trials and test them until you find one you are happy with.

Also, the forum search feature is very useful. This thread in particular might be of interest to you - https://vi-control.net/community/threads/moving-away-from-ableton-or-am-i.81026/.

I don't know - I think being able to actually edit multiple MIDI clips at once is probably better than not being able to! So Cubase is definitely better than Ableton there.

I don't know - I think being able to actually edit multiple MIDI clips at once is probably better than not being able to! So Cubase is definitely better than Ableton there.
It depends on what you do. If you need MIDI stuff then that's great. If you need audio stuff then it's not so important. It's what's best for you that matters.

Also, if there are thousands of threads like this, then I'm glad to add to those saying that Ableton 10 is a garbage update.

Maybe Bitwig would be worth checking out. Their 3.0 update looks mighty sweet.

I've thought about this but I guess I just figure that Cubase is going to support more functions and plugins etc. Ableton was a bit of a gamble for me when I began and I was really happy with it until this update. I can't believe I paid $300 for something which I can't use well, and when I ask support about it they say maybe I can keep using version 9.

+1 for Cubase. Only downside is you need the e-licenser usb dongle to try out Cubase Pro 10 trial. Cubase Elements 10 trial does not require a dongle tho.

I don't think you will have much issues with the learning curve. The Steinberg Cubase youtube channel is filled with great content, tips and tricks. Steinberg also have Cubase live streams on youtube every month where you can ask questions and get answers.

There must be a million threads like this. The answer is always the same, there is no "best" DAW. There is only the DAW that is best for you. Download all the free trials and test them until you find one you are happy with.

Also, the forum search feature is very useful. This thread in particular might be of interest to you - https://vi-control.net/community/threads/moving-away-from-ableton-or-am-i.81026/.
At last count, there were 7,355,921 threads like this, and the correct answer is always Reaper. What I would do if I were looking for the best DAW is test Reaper and only Reaper until I concluded that it was the best DAW for me.

Others may feel differently. This is because they are objectively wrong.
Just kidding.

I'm just one of those people no matter how great Cubase is (I have Elements) I just can't get into it. I don't like a dongled DAW. I don't like the GUI. I don't do a lot of VIs to appreciate it. As for dance genres apps like Live and FL just seem more inspiring. I do hope to become an expert with Reaper someday. As for Bitwig I have the CM 8 track version and don't care for it. I think nothing wrong if people use 2 or 3 DAWs for certain work.

At last count, there were 7,355,921 threads like this, and the correct answer is always Reaper. What I would do if I were looking for the best DAW is test Reaper and only Reaper until I concluded that it was the best DAW for me.

Others may feel differently. This is because they are objectively wrong.
Just kidding.
Agreed, except it's because there is no best DAW, but Reaper has become MY best DAW because it's all I've used.

The only issue I have with Ableton Live is the unecessary GPU use they seem to ignore/omit for no reason. I asked their tech support if they'd fix it in the next iterations (I can easily wait for it), but their attitude rubbed me off the wrong way. They said they couldn't disclose the information (as if it was top secret?). Instead they told me to create an options.txt file to DIY fix my own issue. I literally laughed at it, but then I thought about it and told myself: "What? Why can't they at least give me an idea about what they're up to?". If they keep being secretive about it, that's ok. I'll just sell my push controller and go Bitwig.

I'm just one of those people no matter how great Cubase is (I have Elements) I just can't get into it. I don't like a dongled DAW. I don't like the GUI. I don't do a lot of VIs to appreciate it. As for dance genres apps like Live and FL just seem more inspiring. I do hope to become an expert with Reaper someday. As for Bitwig I have the CM 8 track version and don't care for it. I think nothing wrong if people use 2 or 3 DAWs for certain work.

Wait what. I have Elements too. Are you saying that if I upgrade I will need to use a dongle?

That's unacceptable.

Top Bottom