What's new

Berlin Woodwinds Legacy vs Revive - Hear the Difference!

Laurin Lenschow

Orchestral Tools just put the whole Berlin Woodwinds bundle on sale - the SINE port of the main collection only comes with the "Revive" version of that library though, while the Kontakt version also contains the library's original ("Legacy") version. Check out this video to hear a direct comparison between the two!

Some thoughts on this comparison:

I used the Kontakt version of Berlin Woodwinds in this video. This is important for two reasons:
1. The SINE port does not include the Legacy version of Berlin Woodwinds, it's only Revive.
2. According to OT a lot of fixes have been made to the SINE version of BWW Revive, so you may or may not hear issues with Revive in this video that are not present in the SINE port of the library. That said, I haven't tried the SINE version yet, so I can't comment on the extent of these fixes or on wether new problems have been introduced.

Another thing worth mentioning is that BWW Revive comes with more instruments, mic positions and articulations than Legacy. I did not demonstrate these differences in this video as I wanted to focus on the differences regarding the out of the box sound of the two versions.
...speaking of out of the box: No external processing has been applied to any of these phrases other than some rough volume matching, as Revive is significantly quieter than Legacy.

Let me know your thoughts, questions and/or feedback! :)
(...and also let me know if you spotted the John Williams theme in the video :laugh:)

Last edited:
Are you able to make mix that is not so wet in Revive and sounds closer to Legacy example in the video? I guess not entirely because many still prefer the old one.

Are you able to make mix that is not so wet in Revive and sounds closer to Legacy example in the video? I guess not entirely because many still prefer the old one.
You can get a less roomy sound from Revive, but Legacy generally just sounds a bit more lively in my opinion - I use BWW all the time but I don't recall ever reaching for Revive.

I don't have time to listen to this right now, but I will later. However, it took me ten hours to download the BWW update yesterday. It seems like it was a pretty major overhaul.

Interesting what is going on with Oboe 1 revive sounds like 3 players or something... ?
I noticed that too - it's a really bad crossfade, it doesn't happen at significantly higher or lower CC1 values. When I made the video I considered moving the CC1 curve around to prevent this from happening, but this issue was only present in Revive and not in Legacy, so I decided to leave it in because I didn't want to hide a weakness of Revive.

Are these the same samples and redone or what? What did they do?
I believe it's (mostly?) the same samples + some new content, but I'm wondering where the new mic positions for the old samples came from :roflmao:

I don't have time to listen to this right now, but I will later. However, it took me ten hours to download the BWW update yesterday. It seems like it was a pretty major overhaul.
That's interesting, thank you for pointing that out! I thought I read something from OT that said there were only a few minor fixes so I just went back to the official thread and as it turns out they were referring to the soloist libraries, not the main collection. I edited my opening post and I'll also edit the video description :thumbsup:

I’ve had a listen now, and I instantly remembered why I used to use the Legacy version before Sine came out. I haven’t had time to play with the update, but jeez, this makes me want to dig out my old Kontakt copy. I just so hate Capsule though.

I’ve had a listen now, and I instantly remembered why I used to use the Legacy version before Sine came out. I haven’t had time to play with the update, but jeez, this makes me want to dig out my old Kontakt copy. I just so hate Capsule though.
I’m right there with you on Capsule. I’d put off making a decision on this because the Sine version doesn’t have the legacy instruments. But I finally decided that I dislike Capsule enough that I likely wouldn’t use the legacy instruments much, so with the excellent price on the bundle, especially with the edu discount, I decided now was the time.

I’m right there with you on Capsule. I’d put off making a decision on this because the Sine version doesn’t have the legacy instruments. But I finally decided that I dislike Capsule enough that I likely wouldn’t use the legacy instruments much, so with the excellent price on the bundle, especially with the edu discount, I decided now was the time.
IMHO it would have been insane to skip the bundle deal just to get the Legacy instruments. It is just too good of a deal. Though, I have had my share of difficulties with BWW. In fact, I am completely mocking up woodwinds right now in the StaffPad version of BWW because it is so much better and easier to use.

@Trash Panda (or anyone else if you want to compare it to your own libraries) here you go :)
Ableton won't let me export more than one midi clip at a time, so I fused the different clips into one. I also left the key switches in for you to know when I switched articulations - for all shorts I used the normal staccato articulation btw., not the staccatissimo one.

Attachments

• BWW Legacy vs Revive.mid
    4.4 KB · Views: 17
So strip out the samples and make a new instrument without capsule.

Top Bottom