What's new

BBCSO (Pro / Core / Discover 1.2.0) - free, complete template for FL Studio (UPDATED January 16th 2021)

Bluemount Score

Dropbox Links to BBCSO template v2.5.2:

Template all mics deactivated

Template Mix 1 mics activated

Update 2 from January 16th 2021
version 2.5.2
for FL Studio 20.8+
- Bass Flute Long Flutter articulation was missing
- Some "extended legato" weren't actually extended, but normal legato techniques

Update from January 16th 2021
version 2.5
for FL Studio 20.8 +
- BBCSO Update 1.2.0
- Cimbasso added
- muted brass articulations added
- there is now one MULTI instance of BBCSO for untuned percussion incl. all instruments, AND seperate instances for the individual untuned percussion instruments. Decide with which of both options you like to work!
- some mixer changes

Update from January 06th 2021
version 2.3
for FL Studio 20.8 +
- minor changes / fixes (e.g. flute major / minor trills were swapped)
- now with only one pattern for the whole orchestra (incl. untuned percussion)

Update from June 21st 2020
version v2.2
for FL Studio 20.7 +
- found a workarround to solve the horrible noise error crash (while working and rendering) by deactivating "process inactive inputs and outputs" for all BBCSO instances
- fixed a routing error
- some minor tweaking :)

Update from May 16th 2020
version v2.0
for FL Studio 20.6.2 +
- articualtion switching with BRSO Articulate works again, I changed the switching method from keyswitching to CC32 values. It didn't work for me anymore since the 1.1.8 update
- bass flute added
- I only use two patterns (orchestra + untuned percussion) now instead of one pattern per instrument, doesn't look as fancy, but fits my workflow better :)
- major and minor trills in the flutes where swapped in the previous template... fixed that!
- reverb is now Valhalla Room (instead of RC48), which you of course can still replace by your own reverb 100% wet plugin

Original post:
As I got quite a few requests to share my FL Studio template for BBCSO, I decided to create this thread to describe how it works and to make it accesible for everybody interested. There already have been submissions for other DAW's, so here is my personal addition.

This was designed for personal use and is surely not "the best or most complex template in the world", but thinking about the collaboration aspect, I hope that's what @christianhenson meant and that it helps you if you don't want to set up everything by yourself. It definitely is a very solid starting point.

main view.JPG

Mixer routing:
Instrument (e.g. Violins 1) --> Wet channel (reverb) + Dry channel (no effects) --> Group Master (e.g. Strings) --> Master

mixer view.JPG

XYZ-Controller:

BBCSO XYZ.JPG

Every instrument channel has a "Fruity XYZ Controller" loaded. It is what I named it, a Dry / Wet / Panning controller, linked to the reverb bus from the instruments specific group (e.g. Strings WET + Strings DRY).
By moving the y controller up, you get more of the Wet channel signal, by moving it down more Dry signal. This simulates a room. If you want to push your instrument further back, you get more Wet signal / reverb, and vice versa. However, I keep most instruments centered and use mic positions to create realistic depth. Same reverb tail on all instruments. Exceptions were more reverb sounds good can be e.g. Choir, Harp, Pads and so on, that's up to you.

The x controller is linked to the panning of each indiviual instrument. Simple and quick, even though additional panning isn't necssary in most cases either.

But all in all, with this plugin you can quickly position your instrument in a virtual concert hall.

BRSO Articulate:

BBCSO BRSO.JPG

Every instance of BBCSO is linked to an instance of BRSO Articulate, a free articulation management plugin for FL Studio which basically is a way better version of the common MIDI out plugin. You can link each MIDI note color to an individual articulation. It basically doubles the power of FL Studio for orchestral music. Every articulation of each BBCSO instrument, as well as every relevant CC Controller, is linked and named correctly in the template.
Big thanks to the creator of the plugin, @blakerobinson for sending me the presets.

3rd party plugins needed:

Besides BRSO articulate, my template doesn't contain any unreplacable 3rd party plugins. If you don't own Valhalla Room Reverb, you'll have to replace the reverb plugin in each of the 5 "group WET" channels with your own reverb plugin.

Hope this is helpful, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

#ONEORCHESTRA

Last edited:
Any chance this works on Mac? BRSO has only been available for PC.
I wasn't aware of that. In that case, you could still remove all instances of BRSO and use the BBCSO plugins on their own by using manual keyswitches for articulations. Mixer routing and so on is still gonna work.

I'm a bit late to the party but here is my template if anyone is interested. It uses Kontakt, Valhalla reverb, and 2 Kontakt libraries (Grandeur and toys percussion from Impact soundworks) and of course BRSO articulate. If you don't have those you can just skip the loading for said plugin.

It has Kontakt routings ready for all sections if you want to add other libraries, which is nice.

Big thanks to OP for this. Anyone tried this with the newly released Core version?
No problem, but for me it seems like the keyswitching with BRSO Articulate doesn't work correctly anymore since the latest core / discover update, also not in Pro. As this is of higher interest for myself as well of course, I'll do further investigation and post an updated version if I manage to figure it out.
I messaged the creator of BRSO but got no reply yet.

I literally just posted this image on discord 5 minutes ago. (the time you see in the image is GMT+7)

Annotation 2020-05-16 221054.png

Thank you so much!
Yes just checked as well, to be sure this didn't change with the Discover / Core update... but well, seems we still don't belong to the big boys :P

Blake Robinson posted a new version today that fixes the issue. Based on the release notes, I'm guessing the keyswitching notes were not held long enough for the new plugin to recognize.

Is anyone else getting instances of one or more the BBC plugins blasting the audio device with an irritating and permanent noise? I noticed this pop up after upgrading to FL Studio 20.7.

Blake Robinson posted a new version today that fixes the issue. Based on the release notes, I'm guessing the keyswitching notes were not held long enough for the new plugin to recognize.

Is anyone else getting instances of one or more the BBC plugins blasting the audio device with an irritating and permanent noise? I noticed this pop up after upgrading to FL Studio 20.7.
That's true, he contacted me via PM. Haven't tried out the latest version of BRSO though so far.
Neither I yet came across the permanent noise issue you are describing here...

Top Bottom