What's new

Audio Interface for mostly sequencing

Head over to audiosciencereview.com. They use scientific standards to test audio quality of headphone amps, DACs, and more. As you don't need many features, and the audio quality is what you care about most, these tests should give you the info you need. In your situation I would buy the headphone amp within your budget that measures best. Asio4all should do well in your situation, so maybe you don't really need an audio interface at all.

The issue here is that whatever I'd buy must not depend on the computers' (I have 2) sound systems. Sure, I won't need an interface per se, but something that will convert digital to analog well and then some kind of a quality headphone amp. A quality DAC would cost as much as a good interface, say Clarett 2pre. The Clarett's DAC is well liked and if the headphone output won't satisfy, then I'd buy an HP amp such as the Atom, which gets regular high praise. Since it's already mid October, I'll probably wait for the Black Friday period and try to get the Clarett at a lesser price. Another possibility is the MOTU ultralite mk4, much more expensive, but no one could tell me about the quality of the HP amp. Could you?

Thx, J.

The issue here is that whatever I'd buy it must not depend on the computers' (I have 2) sound systems. Sure, I won't need an interface per se, but something that will convert digital to analog well and then some kind of a quality headphone amp. A quality DAC would cost as much as a good interface, say Clarett 2pre. If the Clarett's headphone output won't satisfy, then I'd buy an HP amp such as the Atom, highly praised on most sites. Another possibility is MOTU's ultralite-mk4, much more expensive, but equally highly praised for its DAC and drivers, however no one could say much about the quality of its PH. And, yes, i went to audiosciencereview's site, but on quite a few other sites the opinion about the DX7s is that there's too much rounding off of the high freqs leading to too much "sweetness". I need the most neutral sound possible. Best, John.

Sorry about the double posting. Windows just closed down and turned off the computer w/o warning me at all. It makes me livid. Anyhow, you may be right about my not needing an interface at all. Will look into a good HP amp. But it'll need to have a good DAC b/c going through the computers' DACs is out of question.

Top Bottom