Am I a snowflake?

• Stop being so offended

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • You're justified

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

ResidentSmeagol

Beep/Bop/Boop
As someone who's worked on a ton of music for anime, Jpop, and Japanese video games, I've spent many, many years living in Tokyo and Osaka. You can spend forever there and still not "get" what the Japanese people and culture are all about. I've had Japanese friends who even don't get their own culture sometimes and when I asked for clarification on things, they'd shrug and say, "I have no idea - it doesn't make sense". Japan and Japanese culture is like its own planet.

You'd really be offended if you knew what most Japanese I've encountered think of weebs and Americans who are obsessed with anime.

Gene Pool

Fact-based Member
The problem with racial stereotypes is that, if left unchecked, they can be abused to dehumanize people and justify atrocities that range from racial segregation to genocide.
A true and timely observation after yesterday's hate crime, the Christmas parade massacre in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Five innocents killed and dozens wounded, all because of the color of their skin.

Polkasound

...all because of the color of their skin.
I've been following this as I live minutes from Waukesha. Naturally, speculation and theories about Darrel's motives are making their way around the internet, but the initial charges won't even be filed until a little later this afternoon. No statements have yet been made about his motives.

I didn't personally know any of the victims, but over the years, I've shared the stage with the Dancing Grannies, who lost three of their members in yesterday's tragedy. They are an absolutely wonderful group of kindhearted, uplifting people. I cannot fathom how they may ever recover from this. Please keep them and all the victims in your thoughts and prayers.

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
Christian, muslim authorities, Karens, the stupid kind of boomers in governments, Justin Bieber and One Direction fans probably

lol.. nah... First off, calls such censorship are typically aimed at art that is relevant... and metal hasn't been relevant since way before I was born.

...and the last attempt in America to ban violent games for minors was a bill authored by San Francisco CA state rep Leeland Yee (not a "boomer" cause he was born in China, not white, not Christian or Muslim) and he got smacked down by the Supreme Court in an opinion authored by a hardcore Catholic. Unclear if he likes Biebs or 1D cause he's been in jail for the last 5 years 😂

Really my initial post was rhetorical. Metal bands/fans would LOVE to be getting grief from religious authorities like back in the glory days... alas, the world has moved on. There's nothing in music less edgy than a metal band.

PeterN

Metal bands/fans would LOVE to be getting grief from religious authorities like back in the glory days... alas, the world has moved on. There's nothing in music less edgy than a metal band.
Its the other way around now, - nowadays you provoke metal bands by becoming religious ( or even just flirting with the idea, in similar way,but opposite, like people flirted and provoked with stuff like black sabbaths etc.). The metal bands will try to tag you now with parental advisory.

MA-Simon

No title
Unfortunately most of the Japan released media I consumed in my time, is furthering those stereotypes. So blame can't be put on fans entirely. Media might want you to belive most japanese gamers are pervs. Gaming magazines only reinforce that. Girls in skimpy outfits and tangas in horror games. And yes, Rahmen noodles. (Remember that infamous Cup-o-Noodles advertising thing in Final Fantasy 15?).

If you want to get a more realistic look, there are youtube videos were people just walk arround japan with a camera for hours. Very relaxing. Walking trough traditional temple and party districts. After watching a lot of those, My opinion of japan is very "traditional temples meet dystopian advetising and vending machines".

dzilizzi

Unfortunately most of the Japan released media I consumed in my time, is furthering those stereotypes. So blame can't be put on fans entirely. Media might want you to belive most japanese gamers are pervs. Gaming magazines only reinforce that. Girls in skimpy outfits and tangas in horror games. And yes, Rahmen noodles. (Remember that infamous Cup-o-Noodles advertising thing in Final Fantasy 15?).

If you want to get a more realistic look, there are youtube videos were people just walk arround japan with a camera for hours. Very relaxing. Walking trough traditional temple and party districts. After watching a lot of those, My opinion of japan is very "traditional temples meet dystopian advetising and vending machines".
And very tiny apartments. Though, seriously, I’ve seen similar tiny apartments on NYC YouTube videos too.

dzilizzi

I love those videos. Makes me feel marginally better about my small apartment in berlin.
When I lived in LA while in school, I lived in a couple guest houses (really pool houses) that were tiny like that, so I find it interesting how they utilize the space. Most are really an amazing use of minimal space.

rMancer

just some words on a screen
Really my initial post was rhetorical. Metal bands/fans would LOVE to be getting grief from religious authorities like back in the glory days... alas, the world has moved on. There's nothing in music less edgy than a metal band.
I've also got to add that at least a few of my metalhead friends are vegan, cat-loving, pacifist potheads (a few are also the aforementioned slightly overweight nerds) who are also into all kinds of other music... bebop, bluegrass, ambient, classical, IDM, pop, whatever.

The metalheads I've known (and played with) aren't trying to be edgy or counterculture. They just love what they love. I always love hearing their playlists on shuffle... Car Bomb, Debussy, Sleep, Brian Eno, Mastadon, ABBA, Sepultura, Michael Jackson, Meshuggah, Joni Mitchell, Pantera, Earl Scruggs, Dimmu Borgir, Aphex Twin, Marduk, Al Green, etc.

I think there's definitely an aesthetic that might suggest a counterculture aspect, but I've known, played with, and lived with a bunch of metalheads over the years and they were all kind, intelligent (well except for Joe), and open-minded (...not Joe) people with mortgages and collared shirts.

"Fuck the man" has turned into things like advocating for LGBT/human/animal rights, promoting race and gender equality, raising awareness for mental illness and neurodivergence, etc. Those just happen to be the sorts of things that get them grief from authorities these days.

Top Bottom