What's new

Apple Announces Macbook Pro with M2 Max and 96gb RAM.

The only MacBook that thermal throttles is the fanless MacBook Air, for obvious reasons. The 14/16” MBPs maintain their peak CPU performance indefinitely.
Maybe. But... The Internets say otherwise re: the MBP. Maybe it's all rumor and conjecture, but, again, the m2's run hotter. For example

There is one thing you need to remember, though. Like most thin laptops, MacBooks are prone to overheating, which results in a minor performance loss, a phenomenon referred to as "thermal throttling" in the tech world.

So, despite having the same M2 Pro chip, there's a slight chance that the MacBook Pro might fall short of its full performance potential due to thermal constraints.

- macbook air, not pro, but m1 v m2 heat... clearly the MBA is not designed for 30min of Cinebench in real world application
1. The M1 throttles by about 10% over 30 minutes. The M2 throttles by 15% over 30 minutes. So yes the M2 does throttle more (in this test), but....

2. The M2 is 15% faster than the M1 after first run. It is still 15% faster after 10 mins, and 9% faster after 30 minutes.

I'm just trying to find out about fan noise....

I did find this

The MacBook Pro 14 knows how to keep cool under pressure. Similar to its predecessor, the laptop's fans are whisper quiet, even when I was fighting my way through a vampire-infested castle in Resident Evil.

We ran a 15-minute fullscreen video and measured key points on the laptop. The trackpad, center of the keyboards and bottom registered 81, 85 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Each temperature is below our 95-degree comfort threshold.

Last edited:
Maybe. But... The Internets say otherwise re: the MBP. Maybe it's all rumor and conjecture, but, again, the m2's run hotter. For example

- macbook air, not pro, but m1 v m2 heat... clearly the MBA is not designed for 30min of Cinebench in real world application

I'm just trying to find out about fan noise....
Again, only the MacBook Air throttles because when pushed to 100% it has no fan to dissipate the heat buildup. The Intel MacBooks notoriously suffered from thermal issues, but that was pre-2020 and doesn’t extend to the Apple Silicon 14/16" MBPs at all. The fans rarely even spin up most of the time. For CPU only scenarios like music production I’ve never even heard them.

Last edited:
Again, only the MacBook Air throttles because when pushed to 100% it has no fan to dissipate the heat buildup.

Do M-Xs run cooler than Intel processors? I'm guessing so, if for no other reason than because of the efficiency cores (which probably means lower-powered ones?) and because iPhones and iPads don't have fans.

But for what it's worth, my 2014 11" MacBook Air does have fans - although I think they've gone on once since I've had it.

Does that make any difference? Not one iota, it's just a comment.

Again, only the MacBook Air throttles because when pushed to 100% it has no fan to dissipate the heat buildup. The Intel MacBooks notoriously suffered from thermal issues, but that was pre-2020 and doesn’t extend to the Apple Silicon 14/16" MBPs at all. The fans rarely even spin up most of the time. For CPU only scenarios like music production I’ve never even heard them.
I'm not talking about the Intel ones. And you seem to be somewhat dismissing the reports of fan noise on the newer MBPs.

The Max seems to be the main culprit, but it seems like doing anything like heavy rendering etc. - maxing things out, will kick on the fans. AND the laptops get really hot because Apple has made sure the fans kick on only at the last minute, it seems, in order to keep them quieter. The fans on the Pro MBPs don't seem to be an issue in every day use (not sure about Max etc.).

I can say something about my MBP M1 Max - in everyday use (web browsing, email, youtube, multitasking) - it is DEAD SILENT. I NEVER heard the fans so far. Just gonna try some Logic pro projects and Xcode stuff (actually was editing my mobile app project and it was silent as well)

Last edited:
M2 Max over 100 Celsius.
I'm waiting until 3nm.

Good video - he concludes there is NO throttling. And in Luke’s ”Conclusion” - “this is a great machine” and at 14:40 “this thing surprised me I was not expecting this (laptop) to be as good as it is….”. He did say he will set the fans to go on at 40%. Thank you for sharing the video- looks like I will be getting one.

Good video - he concludes there is NO throttling. And in Luke’s ”Conclusion” - “this is a great machine” and at 14:40 “this thing surprised me I was not expecting this (laptop) to be as good as it is….”. He did say he will set the fans to go on at 40%. Thank you for sharing the video- looks like I will be getting one.
Exact reason why I won't. That 108° Celsius is way too hot. It's like an M1 Max without a heat limit. Now I understand why Apple didn't like people using their 2012 machines for ten years. Limitless heat will surely limit longevity. This is also why they're calling the M2 Max a stop-gap machine until the M3 arrives this fall.

Are you seriously telling me a human watched 14:40 of video to find out why some dork on the Internet worked as hard as he could to raise the temperature of a laptop that's been designed meticulously by engineers working for a $2T company with the resources to test the holy living shit out of it before it was released?

And that people base their purchasing decisions on that?!

The script would be thrown out for being too farfetched. :)

Are you seriously telling me a human watched 14:40 of video to find out why some dork on the Internet worked as hard as he could to raise the temperature of a laptop that's been designed meticulously by engineers working for a $2T company with the resources to test the holy living shit out of it before it was released?

And that people base their purchasing decisions on that?!

The script would be thrown out for being too farfetched. :)
I agree but it's good to be suspicious. That $2T company has made many mistakes over the years. Specially regarding thermals :)

The first.

As I may have mentioned a few times, I went to first grade and learned how to read. It's a highly advanced communication medium that allows this kind of information to be conveyed in seconds rather than 14:40.
I am with you on the "Rather read than watch a video" thing Nick, but experience has revealed that some find video far more effective. Different strokes and all.

A good friend is learning to use Logic and VIs. I am assisting him. He is a video learner.

I have gotten really good at scanning videos he forwards for the heart of whatever matter is being considered. As long as I know going in what I need to find, it usually works out pretty well. OTOH, most times, if I know what I need to find, a quick Google search gets me the answer in writing even quicker.

Back to the actual thread topic: The M2 Macs look fantastic.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll offer my stock advice: Buy a new computer when you need a new computer. Not before. Not after. If you need a new computer now, one of these new Apple offerings may be perfect for you!

It's more effective for many things, but watching some guy prattle on about how he was able to make a laptop overheat isn't one of them.
You can either:

1. Watch Luke, doing all the benchmarks

2. Read a 15 minutes article on the internet, because a 2 line article will never made if high enough on SEO for you to discover.

3. Conduct the benchmarks yourself that will take more that 15 minutes of reading or viewing, plus the time you need to install the software.

4. Ignore everything, make music, until your laptop is on fire!

Exact reason why I won't. That 108° Celsius is way too hot. It's like an M1 Max without a heat limit. Now I understand why Apple didn't like people using their 2012 machines for ten years. Limitless heat will surely limit longevity. This is also why they're calling the M2 Max a stop-gap machine until the M3 arrives this fall.
Do you have a workload that pegs every core the same way Cinebench does?

As much as these benchmarks are interesting they are irrelevant if your projects don't demand the same.

Top Bottom