What's new

Anyone ever use Melodyne to make MIDI arrangements?

Somehow I only thought of doing this a few days ago. Melodyne is capable of writing a MIDI file based on a given recording. There seems to be endless potential in this. For example, one could use a performance from some famous pianist playing Bach and make it on a different instrument with a period temperament that is what Bach would have used. Or, you could take an old, old recording and instantly make a new one out of it. . .

Somehow I only thought of doing this a few days ago. Melodyne is capable of writing a MIDI file based on a given recording. There seems to be endless potential in this. For example, one could use a performance from some famous pianist playing Bach and make it on a different instrument with a period temperament that is what Bach would have used. Or, you could take an old, old recording and instantly make a new one out of it. . .
There is also a potential dark side to this. There is also equal potential for plagiarism and appropriation.

It is not perfect, especially for polyphonic sounds. It does well with single instruments, but not so much with a recording of, say, an orchestra.
Hmm, damn. I was thinking of turning a famous recording of the Goldberg Variations into an orchestral piece. It could still work but sounds like lots of editing.

Play your chord progression and then record a hummed melody line. Transform it into MIDI. May need a little tidying up, though, depending on how complexed the line is.

There are some tools that might be more capable for transcription than Melodyne. I can name https://www.capella-software.com/us/index.cfm/products/capella-audio2score-pro as one of recent examples.

There are some tools that might be more capable for transcription than Melodyne. I can name https://www.capella-software.com/us/index.cfm/products/capella-audio2score-pro as one of recent examples.
How does it work with say, an orchestral recording? I keep hoping they get to the point I can put one of my finished songs in there and get a score of it.

Edit: I have a bunch of earlier songs where the music was done by a friend. I just have the audio files, not the midi.

Bjork:
“What I did a lot for string arrangements for Vulnicura for example, I use Melodyne a lot,” she told RBMA in 2016. “I love Melodyne. I will put all my vocal takes, and I will make one of it, and I will make many of the same one, and I will make harmonies so there are five-note harmonies, but no two harmonies will be the same. So I will spend weeks on harmonies that you can maybe hear in the beginning of “Thunderbolt” in the choir arrangement – that’s the most obvious.”

Björk uses Melodyne in tandem with both Sibelius and Pro Tools, recording improvisational vocal lines into Melodyne and transforming them into MIDI notes, which she then uses to create string arrangements on Sibelius.

Top Bottom