What's new

Any Thoughts on VSL Synchron-ized SE Vol.7 - Historic Instruments ?

Robo Rivard

I've always kept an eye on that library, but found it way too expansive. Since it's on sale right now in the Synchron-ized version, I thought maybe the time would be right to get it.

I guess it would make a great complement to the ERA series, as well as Fluffy Audio Rinascimento.

Anybody has this library? The demos are very convincing.

What do you think? I was considering getting this, though I have ERA II and Rinascimento. Does it add much?

I'm a little disappointed by what I'm hearing in these Synchonized versions. Maybe the examples are just too wet for my taste, but me not like.

If you are into early music, I would say yes. It's not a "cinematic" library, so you get the authentic timbre of those beautiful instruments. They sound wonderful just the way they are. Dial-in a preset, and play. It's very comprehensive. You get full consorts of flutes, Crumhorns, natural trumpets and natural horns, so you can go orchestral with the library. ERA has more medieval instruments, and Rinascimento is a little bit more wet, and contains a lot of stringed instruments. I'm glad I bought it.

If you are into early music, I would say yes. It's not a "cinematic" library, so you get the authentic timbre of those beautiful instruments. They sound wonderful just the way they are. Dial-in a preset, and play. It's very comprehensive. You get full consorts of flutes, Crumhorns, natural trumpets and natural horns, so you can go orchestral with the library. ERA has more medieval instruments, and Rinascimento is a little bit more wet, and contains a lot of stringed instruments. I'm glad I bought it.
Tpo me cinematic is very large thing form something massive to few caefully selected instruments. in this idea stirng section is even instrument when iplays unison. i mean few melodic lines played mainly single insturments. some things need such more lightweight music.

I had the chance to do a couple of those demos, and in my limited time exploring the collection of instruments, I enjoyed working with them. Ben is correct in that you can turn off the Synchron IR reverb, but there's also a fair bit of flexibility in adjusting parameters to dial in a specific sound, in spite of the reverb being "baked in."

Cheers!
Dave

I was surprised to see that they threw the Glass (H)armonica into that collection, as it remains marketed as special percussion otherwise. I was curious because I thought they might be refactoring some of the regular collections now due to the direction some of the material has gone in.

I use the Glass (H)armonica a lot. Not sure if the articulations I use are part of Special Edition VII though. I wasn't even aware of that volume until the Sychron-ized sale came up. The Recorders are quite nice too; the other stuff is great but more specific in use.

Top Bottom