What's new

Anime Music

I assume you know all the other anime classics like Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, Akira, all the Studio Ghibli stuff, Vampire Hunter D, Blood: The Last Vampire, etc. right?

Otherwise: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls054110986/
Not a true connaisseur, but the classics are all under my belt, so to speak. Thanks again though! The mecha realm is kind of new to me, and I have heard a lot about Gundam - hence my question!

Not a true connaisseur, but the classics are all under my belt, so to speak. Thanks again though! The mecha realm is kind of new to me, and I have heard a lot about Gundam - hence my question!
Havent watched Gundam too. There were so much stuff out there when I had my anime-"movie" addiction :D

Any Gundam experts in here? I feel like watching a classic anime mecha franchise, and Gundam appears to be one of the first and one of the best. Where to begin?
gundam is much loved for its merchandising, 2nd only to dragon ball if i am not mistaken, if you are looking for some mech that is not so much classic, but high quality i would suggest the rebuild of evangelion, ignore the fact that it has taken almost 20 years to release 4 movies lol

oh, and the sound track is absolutely one of the best ever

Some of my favorites of the recent years have been My Hero Acadamia's, SAO, and above all the score for Your Name as well as Weathering With You (both by Radwimps and incredible music). Growing up anything Ghibli / Joe Hisaishi, Cowboy Bebop + Ghost in The Shell / Yoko Kanno, were my jam.

@doctoremmet: If you haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion yet, then obviously start there, but I assume you know that one already. :D

I didn't watch Gundam, so I can't recommend anything specific there, but I at least can recommend Macross Frontier for the orchestral soundtrack:

I always planned on watching that show, but somehow stopped 4 or 5 episodes in for no specific reason, probably not a glowing recommendation then :D.
Macross is the franchise that the first BattleTech Mech designs were licensed from by the way.

It's not a classic, but I quite liked Knights of Sidonia Season 1. Unfortunately it looks very 3D since it's not a classically handdrawn anime. If you have netflix, give that one a shot maybe?

I also enjoyed Schwarzesmarken and Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, but there are probably better shows to watch out there.

Can anyone recommend something like Goblin Slayer (that isn't Bersek)?

@doctoremmet: If you haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion yet, then obviously start there, but I assume you know that one already. :D

I didn't watch Gundam, so I can't recommend anything specific there, but I at least can recommend Macross Frontier for the orchestral soundtrack:

I always planned on watching that show, but somehow stopped 4 or 5 episodes in for no specific reason, probably not a glowing recommendation then :D.
Macross is the franchise that the first BattleTech Mech designs were licensed from by the way.

It's not a classic, but I quite liked Knights of Sidonia Season 1. Unfortunately it looks very 3D since it's not a classically handdrawn anime. If you have netflix, give that one a shot maybe?

I also enjoyed Schwarzesmarken and Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, but there are probably better shows to watch out there.

Can anyone recommend something like Goblin Slayer (that isn't Bersek)?

Awesome tips! Thanks a lot. Weirdly I now also have this urge to play some old school 16 bit era shmups. A couple of years ago I started with Nier:Automata (which has a good score as well by the way) and it had this weird gameplay mix of 2d platform, third person 3d and shmup elements that was really cool. I may need to get back to that.

Anyway, again: thanks y’all! Very educational and inspiring.

Macross Frontier is one of my favourite Kanno scores BUT I remember when it first premiered many of us were confused by parts of the score that seemed to be directly lifted from Arnold's Independence Day and Conti's The Right Stuff. But that's all in the past now.

For Kanno mecha recommendations there's also Turn A Gundam, Macross Plus, Vision of Escaflowne, and Genesis of Aquarion (in the case of Aquarion the series isn't worth watching, just check out the fantastic orchestral score.)

Macross Frontier is one of my favourite Kanno scores BUT I remember when it first premiered many of us were confused by parts of the score that seemed to be directly lifted from Arnold's Independence Day and Conti's The Right Stuff. But that's all in the past now.
There has unfortunately been a lot of that sort of lifting in all of Kanno's scores...

I still have to catch up on all the recommendations here, but there's lots of great stuff.
Especially Little Witch Academia was surprisingly good, all around solid with much variety and great orchestral tracks in there.

Here's Yuru Camp (Laid-Back Camp):

Has a catchy opening...

... and plenty of chill folky tracks.

Such a wholesome anime.

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread and thought to post it here also.

I knew this beautiful “emotional” recorder reminded me of some Anime opening music I’d heard before. I found it today after some searching. The piece is “Hidamari Michi To Ren Chon” from the Anime - Non Non Biyori.

I posted this in another thread and thought to post it here also.

I knew this beautiful “emotional” recorder reminded me of some Anime opening music I’d heard before. I found it today after some searching. The piece is “Hidamari Michi To Ren Chon” from the Anime - Non Non Biyori.

Hah, I know exactly what you're talking about! It reminded me of Non Non Biyori, too. Cute.

I still have to catch up on all the recommendations here, but there's lots of great stuff.
Especially Little Witch Academia was surprisingly good, all around solid with much variety and great orchestral tracks in there.

Here's Yuru Camp (Laid-Back Camp):

Has a catchy opening...

... and plenty of chill folky tracks.

Such a wholesome anime.

Thanks for the rec, I’d been meaning to watch this and it had completely slipped my mind!

Anyone have any recommendations for their favorite slice of life as well as comedies? I've recently exhausted everything I was watching

A Place Further Than The Universe is one of my favorites. Have you seen it? It's somewhere between slice of life, comedy, and drama.
I havent but will def check it out! Just finished watching HoriMiya which was pretty good, my all-time favorite comedy of the past few years has been Mob Psycho 100, hoping/waiting for the next season.

Anyone have any recommendations for their favorite slice of life as well as comedies? I've recently exhausted everything I was watching
1. Yuru Camp
it's very fun anime, no drama, cute girls doing cute things, the soundtrack is pretty good
2. Non Non Biyori
very relaxing anime, it's just bunch of kid's having fun in countryside. no plot
3. Aria the Animation / Aria Series
unique settings, unique soundtrack inspired by brazilian music. old anime but it's good. this show is getting better and better especially season 3 (origination).

Top Bottom