What's new

Anime Music

Speaking of Princess Mononoke, The Tatara Woman Work Song is a lovely choral arrangement from that movie:

And this one is from Haibane Renmei. The composer, Kou Ootani, also brought us the Shadow of the Colossus score.

The whole soundtrack is a treat, I watched the anime as a teenager and still cherish the music.
The battle theme is "automatic goosebumps" to me :)

I will never understand how Yoko Kanno was able to achieve this level of orchestral ability when only 6 years prior she was writing 8-bit synth tunes for KOEI. She is truly a genius, and people mostly know her from her non-orchestral works such as Cowboy Bebop.

I will never understand how Yoko Kanno was able to achieve this level of orchestral ability when only 6 years prior she was writing 8-bit synth tunes for KOEI. She is truly a genius, and people mostly know her from her non-orchestral works such as Cowboy Bebop.

Yoko Kanno is a long-time inspiration to me. Some of my favourite tracks by her are from her less remembered works like Song to Fly, Earth Girl Arjuna, and Wolf's Rain. Back in the mid 00s she also composed the soundtrack for Ragnarok Online 2, but her music was scrapped when the game changed directions. There's some lovely songs in that abandoned score!

She's also re-orchestrated her old work 16bit (Nobunaga Ambition) to real instruments. this is my favorite track from nobunaga ambition

Awesome thread! I know almost nothing about this area of music.

With that said, since it seems relevant, I'll add that quite a few years ago I heard this and got all sad that I couldn't replicate these trumpets with my VIs. I had completely forgotten about it until now.

I really like the Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) OST. The Grissini Project did a cover of Vogel im Käfig that I find awesome.

I think this is just an album (hard to tell...?) and not an actual soundtrack, but it's by Yuji Ohno who was the composer for things like Lupin III (Pt2) and The Castle of Cagliostro. It certainly sounds like it could be either a late 70s/early 80s sci-fi anime OST or a proto-City Pop concept album, so I figured it was worth a share here regardless.

Another classic 90s sound. Echoes of Chrono Trigger...very evocative!

(and so much Roland...)

I am going down my (admittedly limited (to Adult Swim circa 2004-2005)) anime memory lane.

Incredible playing by the musicians at these sessions.

(gorgeous, regardless of the Bill Evans "quotes")

(ditto for the Guilmant quote)

Top Bottom