What's new

Anime Music

With the exception of anime that I didn't realize was anime as a kid (e.g., Speed Racer), the first series that grabbed me and got me into the whole thing was Last Exile. A big part of it was the soundtrack. Part house/techno/pop, part celtic, part military orchestral, I was fascinated by it all and went on a hunt to find the CDs. It's become one of my favorite soundtracks in general.

With the exception of anime that I didn't realize was anime as a kid (e.g., Speed Racer), the first series that grabbed me and got me into the whole thing was Last Exile. A big part of it was the soundtrack. Part house/techno/pop, part celtic, part military orchestral, I was fascinated by it all and went on a hunt to find the CDs. It's become one of my favorite soundtracks in general.

Did you catch the Alan Silvestri reference in OST 2?

Just noticed this thread and it's great to see a bunch of good music, that I didn't know about.

To share a bit:

Made in Abyss - Kevin Penkin
...a great recent soundtrack for a great and intense anime (recorded at Synchron Stage)

Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood)
...possibly obvious, but I thought it was missing here

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone - Shiro Sagisu
...while the original Neon Genesis Evangelion soundtrack is fantastic, I love the new versions in the movie remakes

Last edited:
Awesome thread!

Here's a few of my favorites-

Ash vs. Marcus from Pokemon Movie 13 by Shinji Miyazaki-

Duel!! from One piece by Kohei Tanaka-

Moon Cosmic Power from Sailor Moon by Takanori Arisawa - (This part starting at 33 secs through 2:39)

The whole Sailor Moon franchise had some ridiiiiiculously awesome music. Some of my faves (in no particular order because it's freaking impossible):

The minor-to-major transition for the chorus gets me every time in this one. Done so well:

Pretty great usage of Roland Sound Canvas (the "fretless bass" and even the synthy delayed violin solo):

This song should have been much longer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8qSN-xl6dY

From the musical (the 3-part vocal counterpoint is god-tier of awesomeness):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b6HfwpYihw

It goes on... but I don't wanna clog this space. :grin:

Yeah you just go ahead and do that. If you don't feel like it's a 10/10, I call bullshit! :grin:
i really like the soundtrack of made in abyss because its kind of unique and unusual, especially in eps 1. adding some hip hop stuff really suprised me, and its really good music. if you like penkin music, you should watch tower of god, kind of unique soundtrack because he's adding drum'n bass element in his score

To keep things going, here are some selections from one of my favourite anime composers: Kaoru Wada

The thing that stands out the most about his music is the simplicity of his melodic writing. He tends to write in an almost strictly modal and Japanese style perfect for feminine character themes. And then there's the intimate sound he gets from the woodwinds, which is something I often attempt (and fail) to emulate using samples.

Mikumari no Miko - Samurai 7

Luna - Casshern Sins

Kikyo - Inuyasha

Sango - Inuyasha

Osaraki Sadame - Record of Lodoss War

🙏 🙏 😊

happy to see anime get some love on vi-control!!

i have tracks and composers to fill threads but this young composer deserves a mention 😅 😅

hopefully he will be noticed. name is Yukata Yamada 😁 😁

he just finished vinland saga (on netflix) and babylon (on amazon) but okay 😺 😺

the piece i am leaving has many names... that's the problem with anime soundtracks. nobody knows what is what... all you get is a CD that comes all the way from japan.

pretty sure the track name is "intertwined" though. based on numerous youtube videos and the tracklist on amazon 😄 😄

the part i like is very powerful and often comes up when a character is in a predicament and thinking of a way out 😤 😤

the tuba or whatever that distorted brass sound is got me the very first time!! and the strings add extra tension. as a beginner, this is such a powerful lesson on simplicity 🧐 🧐

🙏 😊 oh i cut to the interesting part on youtube. feel free to skip

🙏 🙏 😊

happy to see anime get some love on vi-control!!

i have tracks and composers to fill threads but this young composer deserves a mention 😅 😅

hopefully he will be noticed. name is Yukata Yamada 😁 😁

he just finished vinland saga (on netflix) and babylon (on amazon) but okay 😺 😺

the piece i am leaving has many names... that's the problem with anime soundtracks. nobody knows what is what... all you get is a CD that comes all the way from japan.

pretty sure the track name is "intertwined" though. based on numerous youtube videos and the tracklist on amazon 😄 😄

the part i like is very powerful and often comes up when a character is in a predicament and thinking of a way out 😤 😤

the tuba or whatever that distorted brass sound is got me the very first time!! and the strings add extra tension. as a beginner, this is such a powerful lesson on simplicity 🧐 🧐

🙏 😊 oh i cut to the interesting part on youtube. feel free to skip

Neat track! The reversed brass part is effectively weird and uncomfortable, and the calm piano part it settles into from there is really cathartic. I wonder what's being used for that piano, btw, the recording sounds super three-dimensional.

I definitely noticed the music in Babylon, before everything else about Babylon made me want to stop watching it...

Top Bottom