What's new

Analog synth recommendations?

OP
tmm

tmm

Check out the Korg MS-20 Desktop. It has some extras that the original didn't have like Osc sync and FM.
lol surprised at how long it took for someone to mention the MS20. I LOVE the keyboard on the MS20, the keys are a really unique size and feel. Wasn't as enthralled with the actual tone. It didn't seem as deep to me as some other synths.

As I mentioned previously also check out the Studio Electronics Boomstar SE80. It's old school through hole components not SMT and one of the best sounding and flexible modern analog synths IMO. It just doesn't have patch memory.
Just spent a little more time reading through SE's site, and currently working through their SoundCloud demos. Really liking some of the tones. Why the SE80, specifically? Isn't the 5089 the Moog model?

pdub

All the Boomstars are identical it's the filters that distinguishes them. They are based on Minimoog Oscillators and VCA's. The SE80 has an additional HP filter so I think it has more sonic capabilities than the others but the 5089 nails the classic Moog thing. I have the SE80 and 4075. The 4075 is based on the arp filter is Moog like but a bit more agressive in the resonance. I tried the 5089 out but since I already had the Sub37 I went with the SE80. If you only have one synth having the additional filter really opens up your palette but they are all nice.

Echoes in the Attic

lol surprised at how long it took for someone to mention the MS20. I LOVE the keyboard on the MS20, the keys are a really unique size and feel. Wasn't as enthralled with the actual tone. It didn't seem as deep to me as some other synths.
Note that the desktop is different than the classic. It has no keyboard and has many modifications (like I said FM and sync being a couple), as well as both rev 1 and 2 filter modes. And it's definitely more flexible than many analog synth, with all the different modulation routings. But if you don't like the sound then oh well. I think it's one of the only hardware analogs I'd consider.

Wes Antczak

Both MS20's are pretty nice, but yeah, you have to like the sound. Personally I love them.

I think also that the desktop is only available as a kit? Not a big deal to put together, but it may be something that you may not want to do. I believe some shops charge a little bit extra and will put it together for you. The other thing regarding the MS20's is that they do not have any sort of patch memory (unlike say the Sub37 or the DSI). Not necessarily a show stopper (the Arturia's do not either), but again something to be aware of when making your decision. Also on the Korgs, the midi is super basic.

Prockamanisc

This thread really got me thinking about getting a synth. Would the Sub 37 be good, or (if I had the money) would it be better too splurge for the Minimoog Voyager Performed Edition? The Rackmount version isn't that much more expensive than the Sub 37. I feel like the pure tone of that synth is something that just can't be replicated in VST form yet.

OP
tmm

tmm

I can't speak to the Voyager, but there are a lot of really great sounding Sub 37 user demos I'm finding. Same for the Boomstar 5089. Not so many with the SE80, but of those I've found, I haven't found one I didn't like. And despite on paper liking the idea of the SE80 better, I've liked the 5089 tones I'm hearing in user songs better. Decisions...

I'm intentionally not buying ASAP so I can really think it through, I don't get this quantity of spendable funds too often. I'm glad I have, because it's given me time to consider more fully which features are most important.

Q1: To those of you regularly using hardware synths in your projects, how important is it to you to have some level of recall (preset saving) available?

I started thinking about how I'd be using the synth for my work, and, though I'm reasonably confident in my ability to recreate / reapproximate a tone I've made, it would definitely be a lot easier to just have the exact tone saved, like I do with my soft synths. I've created a large enough library of my own soft synth patches that I don't typically start from scratch anymore, and it's really nice to just load the familiar patch and be done with no / minimal tweaking.

Taking that into consideration, I'm leaning more heavily toward the Sub 37 now (or possibly the Sub Phatty, to allow for additional gear in the budget).

Q2: When you're saving a patch on the Sub 37, what exactly gets saved?

Does it actually save all the parameter values, and then only update them when you move the knobs (or something like that)? I'm not at all familiar with how parameter saving / recall would work on an analog synth.

Considering that, in the end, having something that will get me a lot of really unique tones that I like and that's easy for me to use is what's most important, I'm also considering upping my budget just a little (by selling off a couple other items), picking up 2-3 smaller second hand units, and also picking up some really unique processors, stuff that my plugins wouldn't do as easily.

To that end, I'm considering something like this:
SE 5089 + Waldorf Streichfett + Red Panda Particle + Waldorf 2-Pole Filter + Twisted Electrons AY3

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dgburns

summer of pickles and IPA beer
Q2: When you're saving a patch on the Sub 37, what exactly gets saved?
Everything that's needed to recall the sound as far as I can see.I'm using the beta plugin editor that is not yet available publicly.The plugin editor is fantastic and also has a librarian function.You can get a beta of the editor from Amos at Moog I imagine.
Actually I play around having the editor up on screen and go between the unit and the editor.Some things are faster with the knobs,some with the editor.The editor is a must have to me.

Vartio

Elektron AK or A4 anyone? the new Overbridge daw integration and patch saving/recall with your project is pretty awesome.

OP
tmm

tmm

Elektron AK or A4 anyone? the new Overbridge daw integration and patch saving/recall with your project is pretty awesome.

See previous page:

I've owned both the A4 and AK in the past and while you can do a lot with them... the raw sound never thrilled me.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that

Also, first post:

... I've owned both the Analog Four (loved the tone, HATED the interface)...

blougui

PRO2 from DSI is et sound design beast and its seq wich sequence almost everything is a great feature as are its discret filters if one likes DSI tone. Its paraphony makes it a polyphonic beast.
Erik

Ned Bouhalassa

Moog Mother-32

Great standalone, with potential for integrating into a full eurorack set up.
Be careful of the impact on your studio/psyche : I started by ordering 2 Mothers, then I exchanged my trusty Roland SH-5 for a bunch of Eurorack modules. I still haven't gotten my Mothers yet, my SH-5 is gone, and all I dream about are wires (plug)!

blougui

The Pro2 can be the brain of an Eurorack système if I understand well. - and Ned, sure, a polyphonic pet :) Not fan of the sound, would like to test the Mother32 of wich I dig the sound heard on some online demos.
Erik

Ned Bouhalassa

I'm using my Pro-2 to send out its digital waveforms for Euro transformation, it's LFOs, out though the 4 CV outs, and as a main keyboard.

OP
tmm

tmm

While weighing my options / putting together a potential purchase list, I also came across the Blue Lantern Dwarf Star. It's a semi modular analog synth with built-in 'vintagey' delay (possibly dual delays? can't tell exactly).

Any experience with these? It's in my budget, and the tone in the demos I listened to was to die for.

Top Bottom