What's new

Alita Battle Angel | Tom Holkenborg (a.k.a. Junkie XL)

Maybe it's a language barrier issue that caused this misunderstanding?

Hi Martin,

Let me know if I can re-phrase my commentary better so that it makes more sense. I don´t want to cause confusion or discomfort to the Junkie XL Fanbase. But I hope we can speak here openly that I may make my points too as I think they are valid, though not pleasing to read that I understand I am aware of probably discomforting some people.

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

Let me know if I can re-phrase my commentary better so that it makes more sense. I don´t want to cause confusion or discomfort to the Junkie XL Fanbase. But I hope we can speak here openly that I may make my points too as I think they are valid, though not pleasing to read that I understand I am aware of offending probably some people.

I mostly meant him because he isn't a native speaker either and maybe he made a comparison he didn't really mean to make. I thought your points were perfectly valid and I'm not offended in the least. And why would I? I barely know anything about the guy, I'm not one of his loyal fans.

But purely subjectively he doesn't give me the vibe of a dude that would go "Look at me, ain't I great? Almost no difference to the old masters, eh?". I'm not even sure he is even trying to talk to composers, for all I know he could be trying to only communicate on a dumbed down level that a layman can follow. Like "I've heard this really sad piano piece by ________, so I felt like making a sad piano piece as well."
But I don't know much about him, would be great if he was active here so that we could just ask him.

Believe it or not, I never heard the name Scriabin. Will check him out, thanks.

I’ve just come back from cinema after watch Alita: Battle Angel. I absolutely loved this film. I also though JXL’s score was amazing. His best yet! Truly gutted the film ended and left me wanting more.

Can’t wait for the next one (whenever that will be) and now going to watch all of JXL’s Studio time videos showing some of the cues (I never listen to film music until I’ve watched the film first - that first watch can never be gotten back and I would hate to ruin anything that the score might give away).

SPOILERS IN THE VIDEOS BELOW... but for those that have seen it, here are some behind the scenes clips I just ran across...

I‘m totally with AlexanderSchiborr..

First, I do like some of JXLs music, in Dark Tower and Mortal Engines there were some great themes. But listening to the Alita score I was quite shocked: this music could be pulled from any unnamed library music. As Mike Verta would say: only vertical development, zero thematic development. I would go further in saying almost zero themes.

When I stumbled across JXLs videos for the first time months ago I was quite impressed by how much he shares with the world - what a noble move. Then I realized, wait a minute, that is produced pretty professionally, lots of cameras and angles - that‘s called marketing and selfpromoting, the kardashian-way (one outcome is JXL-brass .. surprise). Then I saw him playing piano and I felt.. WTF, he doesnt remember his own themes?? ..

Only speculating - and maybe I‘m completely wrong: JXL is from the late 90s dance-bubble. As a music producer / DJ it was pretty common to let others compose and play your stuff. How do I know? .. first hand experience during that time. So maybe JXL is still just a very smart music producer - nothing wrong with that

Last edited:
Then I saw him playing piano and I felt.. WTF, he doesnt remember his own themes?? ..

This doesn't surprise me at all. From his perspective in that video, "Alita" was months ago and he's already deep into working on "Sonic" or whatever might come before that.

TH is a very good composer, I gravitate more towards his orchestral stuff like "Mad Max" and "Brimstone" than the electronic stuff, but I think Alexander's comments about Tom and orchestration are painting with a very assumption-laden brush. Study his music, you will see his attitude to & knowledge of the orchestra.

Aw, come on. "YOu know this guy needs a glass of water in his face, that is what he needs." is just an awesome, hilarious thing to say. I love it. How can you not like the guy.
Next time I put smileys here and there. But I hope there shines a bit of irony and sarcams through my post. But I stick with it. Alternative therapy: electric shocks. Every time JunkXl mentions an impression connecting his music with the great ones from repertoire an electric impulse transmits 20 V to his butt. Come one guys...Did I said that I like some of his stuff? Yes, I did. Doesnt mean I have to like everything what he does and sais.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom