What's new

"ALIENS in Full Score" from Chris Siddall Music Publishing

dcoscina

Got mine too -- it is a fantastic looking/feeling book. Truly great job @chrissiddall.

Early revelations:

1) That weird squeaky thing just before the shit hits the fan in Futile Escape (which I always thought was a solo violin being tortured) is in fact a bowed styrofoam cup.

2) Despite having only two weeks to write the score, Horner apparently found time to notate clusters so dense that they had to be broken out into an appendix in this score.

I'm sure there'll be more:).
I know when Giacchino whined about not having enough time on Rogue One (I think it was 4 weeks and that dude has a massive team to assist him), a few industry pros basically told him to quit bitching and how Horner had a fraction of that time and still came up with Aliens. Goldenthal had a couple weeks to score Interview with the Vampire and was reportedly sick as a dog too and still delivered it on time. Both these "rushed" scores were Oscar nominated in their respective years too.

If Chris is listening, Interview with the Vampire would be an AWESOME release! Hint hint.

South Thames

Yeah, but Rogue One sounds like a score produced in not enough time but a guy who's kind of a hack to begin with.

Granted, there are a few somewhat pedestrian cues in Aliens which attest to the mad rush Horner must have been been in (Atmosphere Station) and the opportunities he took where he could to cut corners. But a lot of the meat of the score really attests to his phenomenal command of complex musical materials and incredible inner ear at the tender age of 32, and his total dedication to delivering a viscerally powerful score that's perfectly matched to the film.

And of course, the film deserves a great score. Aliens is truly a tour de force of filming, and easily Cameron's best picture. Just an amazing testament to a total youthful command of story, character, editing, effects and just about every other weapon a film maker has at their disposal.

Gil

Hello,
@chrissiddall got mine today too here (Paris, France), thank you!
Tried to do an unboxing video but I just filmed half the unbox/half my feet 😬
Can't wait or the next score :)
Thanks again!
Best regards,
Gil.
Aliens - Siddall.jpg

richiejazz

I'm not rich & I don't play jazz
Damn - sold out! Fingers crossed for the re-print!

also +1 for Poledouris - Red October / Starship Troopers would be most welcome. Always had a soft spot for Braveheart too!

shponglefan

Collector of sample libraries
Mine just arrived over the pond (Canada). Very impressed with the packaging, the book was in immaculate condition when I unwrapped it.

Book itself looks fantastic! I'm excited to start diving into the score and seeing how all of it was put together. :2thumbs:

iaink

Ouderling
Just arrived in Miami. Very nicely done! Looks great and the covers are a nice and sturdy cardstock.

Ok, onto Resolution And Hyperspace...

Attachments

• aliens.jpg
    aliens.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
chrissiddall

chrissiddall

Just arrived in Miami. Very nicely done! Looks great and the covers are a nice and sturdy cardstock.

Ok, onto Resolution And Hyperspace...
Hehe do you always read the end of novels first as well? Glad it arrived OK btw.

OP
chrissiddall

chrissiddall

Great! Glad to see most of them are arriving safe and well!! Out of interest, has anyone been stung for any additional import tax/postal charges? You shouldn't have because I used the correct "0% duty on printed music" customs commodity code, but a couple have been unlucky with over zealous agents.

South Thames

Does anyone know if there's anything different implied by use of terms 'booth echo' vs 'Echoplex', both of which crop up in the score, and I don't know if they are used interchangeably?

And anyone know how these were recorded? I was assuming Horner did the Goldsmith thing of recording them in separate passes, but I'm wondering if 'booth echo' might mean that the echo was applied to the close mics of the particular instrument group at the mix desk, but recorded in the same pass.

ed buller

Does anyone know if there's anything different implied by use of terms 'booth echo' vs 'Echoplex', both of which crop up in the score, and I don't know if they are used interchangeably?

And anyone know how these were recorded? I was assuming Horner did the Goldsmith thing of recording them in separate passes, but I'm wondering if 'booth echo' might mean that the echo was applied to the close mics of the particular instrument group at the mix desk, but recorded in the same pass.
I'd have thought that it meant "echo recorded in the booth".......so to minimize bleed they put a speaker with the delay output in a separate booth to keep bleed over the orchestra to a minimum....just a guess.

best

e

OP
chrissiddall

chrissiddall

It's a cracking score.

NB - will also include "Duck and Cover" by Teddy Newton.

OP
chrissiddall

chrissiddall

Hello @chrissiddall, great news about the new score :)
Do you have more info about your live stream? Will this be on your Youtube channel?
Thanks!
Yes sure. It will indeed be on my channel. I'm going to be joined by Dan Redfeld, who is an award-winning composer/arranger/conductor, Horner fan extraordinaire and friend of mine. (He's also one of the Directors of ASMAC - the American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers). We will also have a special guest! Here's a link to the scheduled stream.

https://youtu.be/wI3G10LDXvI

Score study.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom