What's new

"ALIENS in Full Score" from Chris Siddall Music Publishing

Why the snarky answers???

I am asking where this comes from. As in, I want to know what I am buying. Is this done by ear with a good deal of guesswork, or...?

Sorry not meant to come across as snarky (and I actually thought I was being quite witty. I guess that's British humour/humor for you). We thought you meant "where are they shipping from?", since one of the challenges with buying these can be the significant international shipping fees.

What you meant was "how was this created?", quite a different question. The answer is, I had high resolution scans of James's score sheets, plus my ears to check for podium changes using the Varese Sarabande soundtrack album, to which this book acts as a companion piece.

Sorry not meant to come across as snarky (and I actually thought I was being quite witty. I guess that's British humour/humor for you). We thought you meant "where are they shipping from?", since one of the challenges with buying these can be the significant international shipping fees.

What you meant was "how was this created?", quite a different question. The answer is, I had high resolution scans of James's score sheets, plus my ears to check for podium changes using the Varese Sarabande soundtrack album, to which this book acts as a companion piece.
I thought it was as witty but then I am British, and we probably do have a strange sense of humour 😁

I am American, so that did not come off as witty, sorry.

Sure, I could have said "how was this created?", but I can't always think of everything, nor every way everyone will react to what I say and how I say it.

Thank you for clarifying, I just don't want to buy something from someone who has no IMDB credits for any films (at least not that I can find) who sat there in front of his DAW, guessing as to what the orchestration was while listening to the OST.

BTW - what are podium changes?

Thanks.

...what are podium changes?

In a recording session it's pretty common for changes to be made on the fly. Removing doubling, reassigning instruments, maybe a key shift etc. (e.g. something written in the score as an English Horn solo, saying "why don't we try giving that to the French Horn", and preferring that sound and using that take). Those instructions are given from the conductor's rostrum/podium, hence colloquially known as "podium changes". So in the example above I'd be listening through and spot that the EH figure was actually being played by the Hn, and adjust the engraving accordingly.

Thanks Chris for all of your hard work on Aliens.
Also push the Narnia Concert Suite to the front of the line, looking forward to that one.

Pre-ordered. Thanks for making these. Can't wait for Goldsmith's Alien. Keep them coming!!

Also, if you are unsure if enough demand exists for certain scores, why not crowdfund them on one of the sites so you can get guaranteed pre-orders and only do the score once you have secured enough pre-orders?

Pre-ordered. Thanks for making these. Can't wait for Goldsmith's Alien. Keep them coming!!

Also, if you are unsure if enough demand exists for certain scores, why not crowdfund them on one of the sites so you can get guaranteed pre-orders and only do the score once you have secured enough pre-orders?

I have definitely thought about it, especially as so many of the costs are "up front", but the thing that doesn't really work for kickstarters is that you need a copyright license before you can do anything else, so there's no point in taking any money until one is secured. I'm sure nobody is going to hand over their money for a new score without knowing which title it will end up being. I certainly wouldn't.

Eagle-eyed customers may spot a change in the shipping cost. Due to a technical error (i.e. the pink squidgy bit in the system: me), I failed to spot that Royal Mail made a change to their world zones and pricing in September, which had a significant impact on shipping prices to the US (doubled). That's now rectified so sorry to anyone who hasn't purchased a copy yet who wonders where the $15 option has gone, and congrats to the lucky "early adopters" who saved themselves $15!!

Uh I paid $200 for Total Recall. The book costs $85 usd so where do you think the extra money came from...

I was making a semi serious remark - I am grateful these items are available at all.

But to answer your question, I wouldn’t dream of asking you where your 115 USD came from, nor where it goes to, but if the shipping was 115 dollars, all I can say is how are things going on the International Space Station.....

Well, next time I’m working in Sierra Leone, I’ll have to order a book from Omni....should be circa 2.1 million SLL inc shipping.

(I‘m hoping How To Train Your Dragon comes back into stock soon - it sold out pretty quick......)

I’m in Toronto Canada. Granted our exchange rate sucks, but I paid $70 shipping and duties on Total Recall.

Well I screwed up and will have to chalk it up to (expensive) experience, but if you were to direct compare my shipping charges with Omni And use an equivalent service the price would be comparable. I may have to select a higher service level (tracked and signed) which is more expensive again next time if we have issues (not expected, but just being open). We're both just passing on actual cost, not adding a little extra to the shipping cost, so we're beholden to third parties there. Paper weight is a killer on international shipments.

Oh crikey, please do not for a minute think I was having a go about you guys charging rip-off carriage charges - we all know who is responsible for charging high prices for carriage (and it isn't you or Omni !).

If/when your Rocketeer score comes out, I'd come and collect it in person if necessary......

The answer is, I had high resolution scans of James's score sheets, plus my ears to check for podium changes using the Varese Sarabande soundtrack album, to which this book acts as a companion piece.

I have a question about the score version. As far as I know, the original score by Horner was heavily reworked when assembled for the movie. Is the published version mostly the original score, with notes about the changes? Or is it the final movie score?

Since you have worked on the original Horner sheets, I guess this is the original composition, without too much of the director's vandal… er, creative intervention.

Paolo

I have a question about the score version. As far as I know, the original score by Horner was heavily reworked when assembled for the movie. Is the published version mostly the original score, with notes about the changes? Or is it the final movie score?

Since you have worked on the original Horner sheets, I guess this is the original composition, without too much of the director's vandal… er, creative intervention.

Paolo

Yes it's as recorded, pre-edit. It matches the Deluxe Edition soundtrack album from Varese Sarabande (excluding the bonus tracks which are just different takes/elements)

Well I screwed up and will have to chalk it up to (expensive) experience, but if you were to direct compare my shipping charges with Omni And use an equivalent service the price would be comparable. I may have to select a higher service level (tracked and signed) which is more expensive again next time if we have issues (not expected, but just being open). We're both just passing on actual cost, not adding a little extra to the shipping cost, so we're beholden to third parties there. Paper weight is a killer on international shipments.
Oh sorry Chris, I actually deleted my last post. I don't want to take away from your amazing news and thread.

Re: shipping costs, it is what it is. All the best on your release. A friend actually bought/pre ordered me a copy of your Aliens release (super nice of him I must say). :)

Well, next time I’m working in Sierra Leone, I’ll have to order a book from Omni....should be circa 2.1 million SLL inc shipping.

(I‘m hoping How To Train Your Dragon comes back into stock soon - it sold out pretty quick......)
It is actually.. see John Powell IG

I've said it before and I'll say it again- day light robbery. I hope this chap researches how much it costs to post a godamn book to the UK.

Which chap? Me? I'm in the UK so yeh, quite aware of how much it costs to ship here without research thanks! I've bought Omni scores before and know what you mean about it being a lot of money, but it is what it is, and in that sense it comes down to whether you want the book or not. One thing I can recommend, which I've been pursuing a little and seeing some orders come in as a result; if it's beyond your means and you want to see it desperately, petition your local library to stock a copy. Or save up for it. That's not me being flippant BTW. The Library of Congress has all of Omni's books, the British Library will have mine, and so far I've spotted Leeds Conservertoire Library have 5 Omni titles and ordered Aliens.

Top Bottom