What's new

Adding SIPS/WIPS to commercial sample libraries

ScarletJerry

I'm a digital music hobbyist, and I have some a few commercial libraries (Cinematic Strings, Cinesymphony Lite, etc.) I have been able to add WIPS and SIPS scripts to some of my free samples, or samples that I converted from Soundfonts, but I try to add these scripts on commercial libraries, I cannot get them to produce a sound. Has anyone tried this?

-Scarlet Jerry

As far as I know, Cinematic Strings already use a fake legato script and Cinesamples libraries have real recorded legato transitions (as far as I know). In both cases, SIPS would have no desirable effect?

Cinematic strings uses real legato, but it is not pronounced as much as I would like it to be. Cinesymphony Lite does not have any legato, although the other libraries from Cinesamples do.

-Scarlet Jerry

Yes, the legato in The CS2 is very shy...I thought they hided it a bit to make playing more fluid and stress free. Good to learn that it is at least real by nature :) Didn´t know about the light Version of Cinesamples though.

Unfortunately programming can not be boiled down to adding a bunch of choice scripts together. Commercial libraries generally have non-trivial scripting under the hood that manages voices, legato, playback ranges, etc. You can't always add some unrelated script and expect the systems to cooperate with each other.

I see many people fall into this idea that chaining scripts together is like making effects chains, where one output gets fed into some other input and it's a straight line. It's far more complex; this is why adding scripts like SIPS to libraries that have existing scripting yields undefined/unintended/none at all results.

The reason is different scripts will access the same data, at different undefined times, and manage the same Kontakt functionalities without any defined priority. Many things end up conflicting. One script may delete or erase data required by another script, for example, or it could manipulate it when another script needs it pure.

Exactly what neblix said. I haven't had much success using SIPS on modern libraries, but then again I'm no wizard. As far as I know, the best way to use SIPS on those is to bypass/delete the dev's scripts.

Yes, it is possible. But kinda complicated.
Alright, here are some instructions.
1. Make a backup copy of the patch in case you mess up.
2. Delete the samples that you won't be using. Enter the group editor, and select all the groups other than the single instrument sustain samples. Delete the shorts and release samples (marked with -r). In many cases it is important not to delete the groups, but to delete the samples in the mapping editor. This should bring the overall size of the instrument down a lot.
3. For cinelite, make sure the shorts are disabled in the mapping page.
4. Next, you may need to remove some scripts. For cinelite, delete the performance shorts script.
5. Put in the sips scripts. In the 4th slot, put the sips starter, and in the 5th slot put sips.
6. You're done. Almost.
7. Because of the lack of release tails, the ending of notes will sound a little weird. You will need to put some additional reverb on the instrument to make up for this. For cinelite, a little less than halfway on the knob sounds good.

Essentially, release tails are the main culprit, as well as if any of the developer's scripts try to change tunings.

Here is a quick example: https://clyp.it/bwzux1d0

That's awesome, n.h.! I will give it a try. Essentially, I want to add SIPS or WIPS to the winds on Cinesymphony Lite. I already have decent brass and string libraries with true legato, but until I can save up to buy Cinewinds Pro, I wanted to try the "poor man's" scripting option. I used it to add WIPS to the muted trumpet in Kontakt and the result was very impressive.

I've done it on a few commercial libraries as an experiment, but my approach was different than n.h's. What I did was copy the regions from a group (say the "longs") and paste them into a new group in a new completely blank Kontakt instrument. Then depending on how the original instrument handles release tails, I'd either mute all groups except the release tails in the original instrument (and play the original instrument (which will just be release tails) and the new Kontakt instrument w/ SIPS on the same channel) or add a release tail group to the new instrument and either use Kontakt's release tail function, or script one.

I found that using SIPS in a clean, empty Kontakt instrument was a lot easier than disabling the scripts in a commercial one. However, I never found that the results using SIPS were that stunning, maybe you'll have better luck!

Hope that helps!
RMR

Thanks RMR. I have had mixed results with SIPS and WIPS - it really depends on the sample. I still can't get a decent WIPS clarinet, but I made a very playable English Horn, and Oboe and as I mentioned before, a Muted Trumpet.

Scarlet Jerry

That's awesome, n.h.! I will give it a try. Essentially, I want to add SIPS or WIPS to the winds on Cinesymphony Lite. I already have decent brass and string libraries with true legato, but until I can save up to buy Cinewinds Pro, I wanted to try the "poor man's" scripting option. I used it to add WIPS to the muted trumpet in Kontakt and the result was very impressive.
Had been looking for free muted trumpets and found the KFL version to sound pretty cool. Came by this thread while seeking other options, and was just curious if you remember how you set it all up and what improvements are to be had.

Cheers :2thumbs:

p.s Just tagging you in case you're no longer following the thread @ScarletJerry

Just use the WIPS script to add fake legato to the KFL muted trumpet. It actually sounds pretty good. If you want a commercial library for this sound, I know that Musical Sampling just released a $69 trumpet instrument this week.

Last edited:
Just use the WIPS script to add fake legato to the KFL muted trumpet. It actually sounds pretty good. If you want a commercial library for this sound, I know that Musical Sampling just released a $69 trumpet instrument this week.
Thanks! Sounds simple. Will give it a try over the weekend :2thumbs:

Seems I'm stumped by the installation process. The scripts are in the right place, as they show up under 'user' scripts. Unfortunately, i'm having trouble getting them to actually work (Reference to a certain 'browse' button perhaps outdated in newer interface?).

Make sure that you have WIPS Articulation in the first slot, then Legato in the second slot, then vibrato, if you want it, in the third slot. Also, sometime you have to move the mod wheel to trigger the script.

Scarlet Jerry

Make sure that you have WIPS Articulation in the first slot, then Legato in the second slot, then vibrato, if you want it, in the third slot. Also, sometime you have to move the mod wheel to trigger the script.

Scarlet Jerry
Haha! Yeah...Having trouble at an earlier stage. (Can't seem to work out how to point Kontakt to the GUI elements. When I have a moment, I'll work it out and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the extra info :2thumbs:

Top Bottom