What's new

Acoustic sources

So I've been recording GLASS sound FX for the last month and a week or so ago asked on social media for suggestions as to glass sounds that people have trouble finding... I ended up getting so many great requests that I had to split the library into two separate libraries!

The first SD047 Unusual Glass FX is due for release tomorrow,
with SD048 Practical Glass FX due for release on Mar 4th

Here is a quick taste of the Unusual Glass FX:

I've spent the last month or two experimenting with a pair of vintage Ludwig Timpani, capturing some really interesting deep resonance using Sennheiser MKH8020 omni mics overhead (10Hz-60k) and some amazing Superball friction mallets from the Czech Republic - have a listen!

Fantastic

Fantastic
Thanks! The new library is released now:

In answer to your other post about When to buy sound libraries, I am writing a blog post in response and will link to it when its finished. It is deeply enmeshed with philosophy & my own experience as a film sound designer & supervising sound editor (I don't work on games) - I started as a trainee sound FX editor in 1991 after attending Film School. 25 years and 40+ feature films later my personal library has over 600k sounds, many recorded myself but I also like to support indie sound library companies, rather than corporate ventures.

The way most indie companies work is when they release a new library they offer a short term 'early bird' discount, but this is often only provided to people on their mail list as a reward for loyalty etc... Most companies also have occasional sales. Marketing ideas like BLACK FRIDAY don't exist outside USA (although some support it for their US customers) As HISSandaROAR I only have one sale per year for our birthday in August...

But for any company, if you are considering purchasing multiple libraries then it is worth contacting them & asking for a discounted quote. Most will be happy to help.

I hadn't seen this video of an IR library of Tube and Pipes, added to Altiverb!

A metal gate that sounds like massive guitar feedback!

Doing some more strange rain recording.... This time I am trying the waterphones on their side, for more direct hits on their tines... And the vintage milk cans are acting like resonators for the steel pan drums... It is quite mesmerizing, listening in real time, switching between pairs of mics...
Naturally performed granular metal rain :)

RAIN_IMG_3597.jpg

This morning's strange rain recording = six vintage gas tanks with a LOM Usi Pro microphone in each one... Six channels of synchronus granular metal rain!

SRAIN_IMG_3606.jpg

buzz2_IMG_3898.jpg

One thing leads to another... Aeolian buzz harp!

buzz4_IMG_3896.jpg

Last edited:

Bowing very long wires, recording with Trance Audio Inducer contact mics...
Right wire is 30 metres long/100ft Left wire 25metres/80ft
Real speed, then half speed...

New Organic UI Sound Library release tomorrow: BLOCKS & BONES, CLAVES & STONES

HISSandaROAR 11th Birthday Sale has now started!
50% off every sound library for the rest of August
All sound libraries now have UCS metadata (also now available via SoundMiner cloud)
COMPLETE 97 is also on Sale via shipped HD or Download

https://hissandaroar.com

#sounddesign #gameaudio

Thanks to Murphy for putting up with my microphones!

SALE_1200.jpg

Do you have any good recommendations for alternatives to the lom USI pro? I've been waiting to grab a pair for a year now and kinda would rather start recording rather than wait much longer

also i've been reading you do film sound or sound fx for film "vs music"
how necessary are stereo recordings vs mono in your opinion?
hi
There is a thread on Lines forum where they discuss alternatives to the Usi Pro -

ie same mic capsule as Usi Pro but packaged by a different company. So it is a slightly cheaper option and they are available. Make sure you get wind protection of some kind as wind will ruin your recordings otherwise.

"The Clippys are supposed to be very close to Usi Pros - they use the same Primo capsule and are well made. You can get both mini jack / plug-in power and XLR versions and matched pair as well. A lot of people seem to recommend those as a close alternative in both price and quality when Jonas doesn’t have the Usi Pro in stock."

check whether you want XLR or those tiny 3.5mm plug
they need phantom power so make sure your recorder provides power to XLR or minijack.

Top Bottom