What's new

A thread of musical Youtube vids?

I was very delighted to hear Krystian Zimerman play, more than on one occasion, but last year he did something I think was very charming. It was Beethovens birthday and he finished the concert, so he decided to play a little encore piece. He started to play the Moonshine Sonata with the left hand, then his right hand joined playing Happy Birthday. The audience joined with laughter. I was told it was not the first time he did this, nevertheless, the audience was very surprised. And me too. What a great evening it was.

I was very delighted to hear Krystian Zimerman play, more than on one occasion, but last year he did something I think was very charming. It was Beethovens birthday and he finished the concert, so he decided to play a little encore piece. He started to play the Moonshine Sonata with the left hand, then his right hand joined playing Happy Birthday. The audience joined with laughter. I was told it was not the first time he did this, nevertheless, the audience was very surprised. And me too. What a great evening it was.

That's lovely. Found a recording on youtube:

By the way, it's something that Victor Borge did as well:

I can't watch that @timprebble Does the image hold true?

It does... the guitar tone is very crunchy :)
When I watched it my first thought was
IF THIS WAS MOOGS THERE WOULD BE SYNTH NERD RIOTS IN THE STREETS!!

The reality (or motive) is a little less unpleasant (maybe, not really)

Apparently “the video was taken by a former Gibson employee named BJ Wilkes, who revealed details about the clip in an interview with YouTuber The Guitologist. Wilkes explained that the footage was shot during the “post-Henry” era, when Gibson’s new investors “were trying to clean up the mess before the end of the fiscal year. […] Gibson literally could not sell these guitars and they were on the books.”

Gibson responded with a statement: “The Firebird X destruction video that surfaced months ago was an isolated batch of Firebird X models built in 2009-2011 which were unsalvageable and damaged with unsafe components. This isolated group of Firebird X models were unable to be donated for any purpose and were destroyed accordingly.”

unsafe?

Seems a particularly gratuitous method of disposing of them...
They could have at least had them plugged into amps & recorded it!!

That Gibson Fireboird video...

Gibson had a lot of quality control issues during the last 10 years and as far as I've been told ordered retailers who couldn't sell guitars or got back guitars from clients to wreck them on the spot and throw them away.

Gibson shot themselvels in the foot. But hey who needs guitars anyway if you can fill stadiums with pushing some knobs.

You get extra points for calling it MoonSHINE Sonata... :P

Top Bottom