What's new

A new perspective on the sound of Falcon

BF is still weeks away...

JSRcMi6.gif

I'm a coder too! I'm actually building an audio hosting SaaS.

Of course I've considered getting into the audio dev world... it seems pretty intimidating though. I did C++ years ago and I'm comfortable designing and programming UIs, but the DSP stuff scares me.

Do you have anything available for HISE?
You don‘t need to do custom DSP programming in HISE unless you want to.

The best resource you can find for learning HISE is David Healey‘s patreon account.

HALion is far more powerful and sophisticated than the vast majority of synths in its present state and they continue to release a wide variety of soundsets, so they prob don't feel any urgency.
So is Omnisphere, so is Falcon... yet they still evolve.
No matter the reason, HALion development is practicaly frozen and has been so for some time.
Maybe its current status is useful enough for Steinberg, maybe they don't feel like competing in the overcrowded synth market but also don't feel like abandoning it since it's a useful platform for making a buck via soundsets with little effort...
Dunno, but everybody, including you, agrees that an update is long, long overdue so I can't buy the argument that "it doesn't need to evolve cause it's too good already".
Anyway, why is this Falcon thread about Halion, actually?

Haha well… I’d argue you have a big influence on it being about Halion a lot, lol :laugh:
Well, it's not like I came on a Falcon thread and said "hey people stop being so enthusiastic about Falcon and better get this other software that had no development in 5 years, I know from people that I know that it's gonna smash Falcon" etc. These things do need to be replied to, to say the least.

So, I've got some really exciting news about HALion 7! Just wait 'til I tell you!

No, no; this is not the place. Sorry, as you were.

This reminds me of that one LCD Soundsystem song, called I’m Losing My Edge

I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record.

I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.

I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra, Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra, Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc, Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.

This reminds me of that one LCD Soundsystem song, called I’m Losing My Edge

I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record.

I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.

I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra, Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra, Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc, Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.
'But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent.
And they're actually really, really nice.'

Genius!

Well, it's not like I came on a Falcon thread and said "hey people stop being so enthusiastic about Falcon and better get this other software that had no development in 5 years, I know from people that I know that it's gonna smash Falcon" etc. These things do need to be replied to, to say the least.
Sorry, we've gone wildly off tangent now.

I love Falcon and you can get incredible sounds out of it of a wide variety. I can't remember who it was, but someone suggested that using it inside of Vienna Ensemble Pro, even on the same computer as your DAW, helps a lot with the CPE usage. I'm guessing, then, that otherwise it has a tendency to use the same core as the DAW. I'm not sure. It would be an expensive experiment as I don't have Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Does anyone have VEP who can comment? Or simply understand what technical aspects are involved.

Falcon runs on one core. But running VEP just for Falcon seems overkill to be honest.
Yes, one core; though I am sceptical that going multicore would solve the usage issues.

VEP for a single instrument is extreme; but if it is in use anyway the question remains whether it makes a difference.

Sorry, we've gone wildly off tangent now.
Well, this thread seemed to be one of those rare situations in which something really interesting and constructive was proposed, and I would have certainly enjoyed it staying on course.
All this lasted for half of its first page, then as it always happens, it went into the same things repeated ad nauseam in any other thread: my fav synth vs your fav synth, modular is better (but which one? let's discuss), effects, this manufacturer, that manufacturer and then settled in a strangely insistent pitch of Halion/Steinberg against Falcon and UVI. Maybe I'm just grumpy from being at work on Sunday, but all this doesn't seem very useful. And as correctly pointed by the astute @doctoremmet, I'm as guilty of all this mess as any other.
I love Falcon and you can get incredible sounds out of it of a wide variety. I can't remember who it was, but someone suggested that using it inside of Vienna Ensemble Pro, even on the same computer as your DAW, helps a lot with the CPE usage.
I can't confirm this happening inside Nuendo, the Falcon performance in multitrack sessions is good (also combined with multiple UVI Workstation and UVI Walker tracks).

Top Bottom