What's new

A bit of help regarding some percussive effects

vouplol

Hey all! I have gotten pretty interested in some more chiptune-y effects recently, and came across this song. It features some very punchy and crunchy percussion (specifically at 0:04), and I would love to be able to do something similar, but I have no ideas in mind. Could anyone help me out?

Can you share what you have tried so far? It otherwise starts to feel a bit like Reddit, people asking how to make something having made no effort themselves. Ideas often come from trying (and sometimes trying and failing is an important part of that process)
eg play your synth > bit crusher? It makes me think of the old arcade game Frogger
playing a synth with an arpegiator and cranking BPM up to silly amounts eg 300bpm can get some of those sounds, but not without crushing it to 8bits...
What have you tried so far? What DAW/plugins do you have access to? Do you have a bit crusher?
Have you googled 'chiptune VST'?

Ah, yes, I should have explained this a bit more. I tried running some noise and pulse channels through several bit-crushers, but it never had the same effect. I have also tried Plogue's chipsounds — to no avail. After a while though I did manage to get in touch with the composer of the song, and it turns out it was just a bunch of claves and shakers through a bit crusher. The punchiness was in the sample itself all along : )

Top Bottom