What's new

8Dio memory usage in Kontakt/VEPro

stevebarden

I’ve come upon an issue that I’ve never seen before. In setting up a template on a slave with VEPro, I’m seeing that 8Dio’s Century Strings and Century Strings Sordino are using approximately twice the amount of memory that it shows in Kontakt.

I get that there is some overhead in any software, but I haven’t experienced this with any other VIs loaded in Kontakt.

For example, my Century Strings setup show 2.5 GB used by Kontakt, but the memory increase to RAM is nearly 8 GB! The same for the Sordino strings. The 1.5 GB loaded in Kontakt adds nearly 4 GB to ram usage.

What could these instruments be doing behind the scenes to cause this?

What could these instruments be doing behind the scenes to cause this?
Memory usage is tied to the groups inside the NKI. If there is a potential the NKI could require more “baseline memory” with other mic positions and such enabled then it allocates a hold on that memory in your system. That is why it is visible in your daw, but it is lower in kontakt.

For century stings and brass, I made a video about how to reduce the ram usage of these VIs. You can check it out here:

8Dio Century Strings Hotrodding

Memory usage is tied to the groups inside the NKI. If there is a potential the NKI could require more “baseline memory” with other mic positions and such enabled then it allocates a hold on that memory in your system. That is why it is visible in your daw, but it is lower in kontakt.

For century stings and brass, I made a video about how to reduce the ram usage of these VIs. You can check it out here:

Wow! What a terrific explanation. I will give this a try. I had suspected that it might have something to do with mic positions, but when I selected various mics nothing changed in the reported memory usage.

Thanks for making this video!

Very helpful, thanks!

Top Bottom